Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 15, 2011, 05:42 AM
Top Prospect

When you uninstalled the catalyst drivers, did you run driver cleaner or ccleaner to rid the system of any traces of the old installation? ATI/AMD is very fussy when it comes to this.
Try CCC 11.6 and download and install the Catalyst Profiles, this seems to be working extremely good for my set up.
Also make sure in AMD overdrive that crossfire is working, and do not alt tab out of bc2 as it will stop( it does in my case) crossfire and knock you back down to one card.
Big thing is make sure you get rid of all traces of the old installation...folder and all. You can also try running msi afterburner and have it running in the background to watch video card utilization. BC2 should be using 80-100% on both cards during game play.
You can also use it to watch the temps of each card...which also may be your issue.
Hope this helps. Just be patient and you will get it working
Old August 15, 2011, 11:48 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiTi View Post
When you uninstalled the catalyst drivers, did you run driver cleaner or ccleaner to rid the system of any traces of the old installation? ATI/AMD is very fussy when it comes to this.
Try CCC 11.6 and download and install the Catalyst Profiles, this seems to be working extremely good for my set up.
Also make sure in AMD overdrive that crossfire is working, and do not alt tab out of bc2 as it will stop( it does in my case) crossfire and knock you back down to one card.
Big thing is make sure you get rid of all traces of the old installation...folder and all. You can also try running msi afterburner and have it running in the background to watch video card utilization. BC2 should be using 80-100% on both cards during game play.
You can also use it to watch the temps of each card...which also may be your issue.
Hope this helps. Just be patient and you will get it working
Hey, thanks for the suggestions. I tried doing a clean reinstall of CCC and the drivers and the issue still persists. I checked with GPU-z, and both cards are close to 100% load during gameplay. However, GPU-z also reports that one of the cards runs at over 80 Celsius during gaming. Could that be causing the issue?

Last edited by dimre01; August 15, 2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old August 17, 2011, 11:22 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Sounds like micro-stutter to me. A high frame rate that appears to be lower with a possibly "choppy" appearance is how I'd define micro-stutter. It usually comes along with dual-GPU setups and is why most people recommend going with a single more powerful card.
Old September 17, 2011, 11:51 PM
Trial Member

Default same issure here please help!

bump... having same issue as OP. anyone have a suggestion on how to fix this issue???

fraps is saying 50-70fps on games like dead island/bf bc2 but the frames feel very shakey, it does not look smooth. the frames are keeping up with my movements, there isnt any input lag but when I move my mouse slowly in first person shooters i can see the frames shaking, its almost like my entire monitor is vibrating...

Last edited by amplify51; September 18, 2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old September 18, 2011, 01:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Reinstall drivers, make sure they arent overheating.
Old September 18, 2011, 04:49 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

IMO microstuttering. There was a really good link posted the other day somewhere on HWC about it (can't find it right now). Try using other drivers (older ones). You may get lucky and find one that works better. Try swapping card positions and run the other card as the primary. That is the major problem with SLI/Xfire. Can be a lot of troubleshooting/ trial and error to get smoothish FPS.
Old September 18, 2011, 05:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Inside the second: A new look at game benchmarking - The Tech Report - Page 1

Basically you get the frames done in a manner that means one is drawn and transported really really fast and one is drawn fast but has to get back to the second card.

Although you still get a higher framerate than a single card, the difference in timing of the frames makes it feel MUCH slower.
This can be seen in most / all multi-gpu set-ups but is much worse on AMD's and much worse on low range cards. (my personal opinion and conclusions from that article).

Basically, use one card or sell em both and buy something bigger as Xfire and SLI have come a long long way but IMO aren't worth it yet.
Old September 18, 2011, 09:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

does the stuttering happen on all games is it a single player game or a online game I know that somegames out there are not that great and stutter no matter what you do also if it is online could it be your internet?
Old September 18, 2011, 09:35 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

if you have afterburner or fraps or a similar program i had similar issue. till i uninstalled them then it went away after i did that.
Old September 18, 2011, 10:39 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzzope View Post
Inside the second: A new look at game benchmarking - The Tech Report - Page 1

Basically you get the frames done in a manner that means one is drawn and transported really really fast and one is drawn fast but has to get back to the second card.

Although you still get a higher framerate than a single card, the difference in timing of the frames makes it feel MUCH slower.
This can be seen in most / all multi-gpu set-ups but is much worse on AMD's and much worse on low range cards. (my personal opinion and conclusions from that article).

Basically, use one card or sell em both and buy something bigger as Xfire and SLI have come a long long way but IMO aren't worth it yet.

AMD has severe issues w/ Crossfire and micro stuttering.

Good article btw.