Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 11, 2011, 04:04 PM
Top Prospect

Default 560 Ti Hawk alarmingly loud when gaming

So my 560 Ti Hawk gets very loud when I play Total War: Shogun 2. Temperatures hover around 77 degrees and the fan speed stays at around 70%, which sounds like being in a room full of industrial stand mixers trying to mix a bowl of quickly hardening cement. This is on stock voltages and clocks, in a 650D.

What is weird is that if I run Furmark or Kombustor, even for extended periods of time, the card never gets that hot and the fans don't spin that fast. I tried checking out some review sites to compare temps and they all seem to have much lower load temps than I'm getting. One review site even had load temps of 54 degrees overclocked, which is absolute nonsense because according to Afterburner I'm sitting around 50 degrees idle.

Is my card defective or is this normal?
Old August 11, 2011, 04:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

650D's are hotboxes... could be your issue, more likely you need to update your drivers.

Also you could give MSI a call and see what they say, if they wont RMA it for you reseat the cooler with some better thermal paste.

Last edited by JJThomp; August 11, 2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old August 11, 2011, 06:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Those are horrible temperatures for that card. I have the MSI Frozr2 and I keep the fan locked at 40% in MSI Afterburner. I don't see temps ever go over ~70C. The big difference between you and I is that I'm using a HAF 912.
Old August 12, 2011, 10:39 AM
Top Prospect

So I called MSI and they told me that they won't do anything unless the card artifacts. They also told me that my temps are normal, which I find a bit disappointing since lower heat and noise is the reason why I paid extra for this card.
Old August 12, 2011, 11:12 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Reseat the cooler and retest in open air, if your temps are still that high, find an excuse to do a direct RMA or attempt a direct RMA.

Supercom/Daiwa handle the majority of MSI RMA's in Canada not MSI themselves and are generally eons better than MSI in terms of customer service. Do whatever you can to deal with them directly. In my recent experience MSI tech support is still rude and unpleasant to deal with despite being slightly better in recent years. If you don't have a bulletproof complaint laid out in a professional manner, they will give you plenty of crap.
Old August 15, 2011, 12:16 PM
Top Prospect

Does reseating the cooler void the warranty?
Old August 15, 2011, 01:18 PM
Banned
F@H

i would rather manually control the fan than reseat the cooler.

with msi,perhaps.
Old August 15, 2011, 02:13 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristhrottle View Post
Does reseating the cooler void the warranty?
Try to look carefully, whether there are any seals/stickers which will be damaged while disassembling the cooler. If not - they won't be able to prove you did anything, just do it clean and carefully :)
Old August 16, 2011, 06:33 PM
Top Prospect

All right so I decided to send an e-mail to one of those people who leaves their contact in the Manufacturer Response section of NewEgg reviews, even though I didn't buy my card from NewEgg nor did I write a review. I told him the exact same thing I said over the phone. He immediately agreed that my card was faulty and offered me an advanced replacement for my RMA. I guess large sample variation extends to more than just their cards!
Old October 31, 2011, 11:23 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristhrottle View Post
All right so I decided to send an e-mail to one of those people who leaves their contact in the Manufacturer Response section of NewEgg reviews, even though I didn't buy my card from NewEgg nor did I write a review. I told him the exact same thing I said over the phone. He immediately agreed that my card was faulty and offered me an advanced replacement for my RMA. I guess large sample variation extends to more than just their cards!
Did the replacement card they send you fair better? I'm curious to know since my MSI GTX560 Hawk is also running quite hot. More so than yours even. I'm at around 40 degrees C at idle but up to 90 degrees C under load and even hotter when run in SLI with my Gigabyte card. I expect the card to run hotter in sli but it's nearly 30 degrees hotter than my GB Gtx 560Ti SOC.