Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   AMD/ATi GPU's where are they? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/45455-amd-ati-gpus-where-they.html)

RBA August 6, 2011 07:41 PM

AMD/ATi GPU's where are they?

Browsing CC web site I noticed the video cards from the red team seem to be out of stock or special order for 69xx series. What gives? Pretty slim pickings lately. Are they reducing stock for new GPU releases?

NSdeadly1 August 7, 2011 07:09 AM

From what i've been reading AMD/ATI are supposed to be releasing their new 28nm (i think that's what they are lol) cards some time this fall. So most likely they are slowing production on current cards and retailers are likely keeping stock levels low. Not sure where i read the article though, i think it could have been Anadtech but not sure.

Arinoth August 7, 2011 07:13 AM

There are two problems, one is stock of the chips that they are using, and the other is people buying them up for bit coin mining.

Kommie986 August 7, 2011 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 539071)
...people buying them up for bit coin mining.

Do elaborate.

Arinoth August 7, 2011 07:41 AM

AMD cards seem to do a lot better at bit coin mining then nvidia cards, which is why we're seeing a lot of them being bought up right now. Though from what I've heard their market tanked recently so perhaps we'll see people shifting away from it and more cards up for sale.

frontier204 August 7, 2011 08:07 AM

Is mining taking off THAT much to affect store stock?
PCCyber seems to have reduced stock on 6950s as well... PC Cyber Canada - For All Your Computer Needs
If people put that compute power into [email protected], climate prediction or similar, we'd get an actual problem either modeled or solved :blarg:

Back on topic, CC (Canada Computers?) is only one retailer, with a web site that breaks A LOT (coming from someone who saw it crash yesterday and during most larger sale events).

Kommie986 August 7, 2011 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NSdeadly1 (Post 539069)
From what i've been reading AMD/ATI are supposed to be releasing their new 28nm (i think that's what they are lol) cards some time this fall. So most likely they are slowing production on current cards and retailers are likely keeping stock levels low. Not sure where i read the article though, i think it could have been Anadtech but not sure.

So when are those Southern Island GPUs suppose to be coming out?

Arinoth August 7, 2011 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kommie986 (Post 539093)
So when are those Southern Island GPUs suppose to be coming out?

Supposedly Q4 2011 or early Q1 2012

ilya August 7, 2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frontier204 (Post 539085)
Is mining taking off THAT much to affect store stock?
PCCyber seems to have reduced stock on 6950s as well... PC Cyber Canada - For All Your Computer Needs
If people put that compute power into [email protected], climate prediction or similar, we'd get an actual problem either modeled or solved :blarg:

Back on topic, CC (Canada Computers?) is only one retailer, with a web site that breaks A LOT (coming from someone who saw it crash yesterday and during most larger sale events).

Keep in mind that ATI/AMD has been doing a pretty crappy job with their so called "hard" launches and the foundries have been consistently behind schedule for over a year now. Stock is bound to be easily affected by something as niche as bitcoin mining.

Yes CC has a really crappy web host, just like NCIX has crappy web devs. CC has even had it's sister company's site down for a few weeks now.

supaflyx3 August 7, 2011 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARSTG (Post 539100)
most probably people are buying the cards to recover the precious metals used to build the chip.

what...?