Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 8, 2011, 07:40 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post
Keep in mind that ATI/AMD has been doing a pretty crappy job with their so called "hard" launches and the foundries have been consistently behind schedule for over a year now. Stock is bound to be easily affected by something as niche as bitcoin mining.

Yes CC has a really crappy web host, just like NCIX has crappy web devs. CC has even had it's sister company's site down for a few weeks now.

Not just AMD, I think both them and nVidia are going to be hard pressed to keep their work up as the foundries struggle with the new fab process.
I would like to be wrong but I think its going to be Q2 2012 before we have some hard cards on the market.
One never knows though,

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old August 8, 2011, 07:48 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

There has been a general distribution shortage of high end AMD cards at distributors for the last few months but the retail channel is only starting the feel the effect now. Why this is happening is anyone's guess but with back to school purchases right around the corner, this is about the worst possible time for AMD's distribution channels to be left high and dry.
Old August 8, 2011, 08:43 AM
Fallen Folder
F@H

My System Specs

Don't forget the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. I know quite a few of the components in our boards are made by Japanese manufacturers and we've been experiencing some long lead times on even discrete components.
Old August 8, 2011, 12:13 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_BenD_over View Post
Don't forget the earthquake and tsunami in Japan. I know quite a few of the components in our boards are made by Japanese manufacturers and we've been experiencing some long lead times on even discrete components.
So true, we are feeling the effects over here as well (its starting to creep into the PSU market too...).

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old August 8, 2011, 06:29 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for the replies. I thought maybe it was just me, but I have checked out other sites and noticed card availability is low. I wondered if the 28nm production was causing some of the shortages, but it seems everyone has some valid points. Ie} Quake in Japan etc. I didn't really check out Nvidia's product line to see if they have the same issue as I was interested in a 6970 but I will probably just wait for the next generation before upgrading for a few game titles this fall.