Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

View Poll Results: What should I go with?
HD 6950 Crossfire 7 33.33%
GTX 570 SLI 4 19.05%
Single GTX 580 8 38.10%
Other: Specify? 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 5, 2011, 12:17 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
I would go with the single 580 to allow an upgrade path down the road if desired.
I love people that say this. Unless you are going to buy a second card in the next 3 to 6 months, even then I just read an article that nvidia is promising it's next cylce before end of year, don't consider this an option, people always say it but once the next cycle of cards come out very few ever recommend getting a second card, because "if you go with the newer single card it gives you an upgrade path down the road where you are at a dead end if you get the second card", even if it costs significantly more and gives you less of a gain than adding the second card.

I haven't been happy with an ati/amd video card since my 9800 pro and see far more complaints about crossfire than sli. So I'd say if you beleive nvidia that the next cycle will be out in the next couple of months and that you will be wanting to go with that once it's out, buy one 570 then sell it and upgrade to the next cycle and look at sli then. If your sure you will be able to resist temptation when the new cylce comes out then go with 570 sli.
Old August 5, 2011, 12:51 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teal3800 View Post
I love people that say this. Unless you are going to buy a second card in the next 3 to 6 months, even then I just read an article that nvidia is promising it's next cylce before end of year, don't consider this an option, people always say it but once the next cycle of cards come out very few ever recommend getting a second card, because "if you go with the newer single card it gives you an upgrade path down the road where you are at a dead end if you get the second card", even if it costs significantly more and gives you less of a gain than adding the second card.

I haven't been happy with an ati/amd video card since my 9800 pro and see far more complaints about crossfire than sli. So I'd say if you beleive nvidia that the next cycle will be out in the next couple of months and that you will be wanting to go with that once it's out, buy one 570 then sell it and upgrade to the next cycle and look at sli then. If your sure you will be able to resist temptation when the new cylce comes out then go with 570 sli.
But let us be honest for a second here,
Look at the release date fiasco's that have happened in the past. Look at where the Fab plants stand on their manufacturing process. I highly doubt we will see something so soon like Kepler. It is a valid option.
We really don't know if TSMC has their stuff together on this 28nm yet or not and I haven't seen any real leaks so...

Getting a 580 now, and then say a second one in a few months is very vaild.

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old August 5, 2011, 01:26 PM
Rookie

True. My thinking though is that the 580 won't come down much in price until the next cycle. He'll take less of a hit on the 570's or a 570, which will play anything at his 1080p settings, than the 580's if TSMC actually is on track, which given they don't have a great record of being but you'd think they'd get it right atleast once, and he'll also have $300(sli 570 vs 580) more in his pocket to fund that if that temptation hits, even though either setup should last a couple years.

Nvm Maximum PC just announce Kepler is delayed till 2012. Anyways I still think it's something to consider. I'd say if you plan on keeping them for a couple years atleast look at 580's, if you are thinking you might want to upgrade once kepler comes out I'd say 570's or maybe even 560 TI's.
Old August 5, 2011, 03:04 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

It seems that there aren't any reference 6950s or 6970s left on the market.
Old August 6, 2011, 05:46 PM
Top Prospect

From my experience with CFX, its just a pain in the ass. The microstutter just ruins games so badly. I have a single 6950, and unless the only game you're playing is Crysis 2 and Dirt 3 there is no reason to do a CFX configuation.
I personally would NOT suggest doing SLI or CFX... thats just my two cents.
Old August 6, 2011, 08:23 PM
HWC YouTube Reviewer

My System Specs

I personally own one GTX 570 from Asus, the Direct CU II and while its a triple slot card, is fairly quite and cool, looking at it now, i would have preferred to go with a regular, blowing hot air out of the card through the front.

Now as of the GTX 570 performance, its an amazing card with great OCing capabilities, but so is the ATI cards.

I say choose the one that is most affordable to you, as either of the setup will be satisfying.

Tags
amd , ati , gtx , hd 6950 , nvidia