Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

View Poll Results: What should I go with?
HD 6950 Crossfire 7 33.33%
GTX 570 SLI 4 19.05%
Single GTX 580 8 38.10%
Other: Specify? 2 9.52%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 4, 2011, 01:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kommie986 View Post
Are driver issues for the HD6000 series widespread?
I don't know what set they are up to now. I got rid of a lot of 6000 Series cards because of it. I made a post a while back too with someone else on what I had owned with ATI's cards.

As it stands I know my friend keeps haveing X-fire issues on his 6850's still so who knows. But I historically had more ATI than I ever had nVidia and now I am all nVidia in my rigs because of this crap.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old August 4, 2011, 02:32 PM
Trial Member

ATI/AMD make great hardware but the software/drivers are horrible.
Old August 4, 2011, 11:42 PM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Are driver issues for the HD6000 series widespread?
I've had no problems running 6950's in crossfire at all I've found a lot less troubles with ATI driver recently then with Nforces drivers for 1 ATI has never fried a card with their drivers and then left their users hold the bag ta boot.
Old August 5, 2011, 05:51 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardB View Post
I've had no problems running 6950's in crossfire at all I've found a lot less troubles with ATI driver recently then with Nforces drivers for 1 ATI has never fried a card with their drivers and then left their users hold the bag ta boot.
Yes, that did happen. The drivers were pulled, and the problem was fixed very quickly.
It happens to everyone, its happened a lot to AMD/ATI in the past too, if you really want to go down that route.

Trust me, I would have loved to keep my 6950's but they were (loud, Hot and buggy). And the same can be said for my friends cards and all the other 6XXX series I have owned.
I actually returned cards to XFX because after lots of troubleshooting they thought it was teh card too. The card tested okay when it got back to them, and the new card I received had the same game issues.

They have great GPU designs, just poor drivers.
WHich is why nVidia is now dominant in my rigs, until the 7XXX comes out and I give them a try again.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

Old August 5, 2011, 05:57 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
...Trust me, I would have loved to keep my 6950's but they were (loud, Hot and buggy). And the same can be said for my friends cards and all the other 6XXX series I have owned...
ST
So they were reference ones, not the MSI Twin Frozr II/III?
Old August 5, 2011, 06:12 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
So they were reference ones, not the MSI Twin Frozr II/III?
Never used the MSI ones (Namely due to customer support issues with them) but from my understanding MSI's Twin Frozr is a good heatsink design.
Mine were reference, but my friends were the Dual Fan ones from XFX and they still were crap (Which is sad because I love XFX).

ST

Old August 5, 2011, 06:14 AM
F@H

My System Specs

MSI's Twin Frozr is a very good design, their fans are typically relatively quiet, cool a card really well allowing you to overclock them better or push them further. This is at least my experience with the 465 GE (golden editions) as well as the 560 Ti
Old August 5, 2011, 09:30 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Never used the MSI ones (Namely due to customer support issues with them)...
Is their customer support still not that good? I heard on these forums that they improved by a lot. What I can't wrap my head around is why they start the warranty from the manufacturing date (I mean what if that things been sitting in a warehouse or on a cargo ship for months?).

Edit: Sorry for derailment, but maybe we can help him decide what brand to get. Hahaha
Old August 5, 2011, 09:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Is their customer support still not that good? I heard on these forums that they improved by a lot. What I can't wrap my head around is why they start the warranty from the manufacturing date (I mean what if that things been sitting in a warehouse or on a cargo ship for months?).

Edit: Sorry for derailment, but maybe we can help him decide what brand to get. Hahaha

Even recently I still hear complaints, so I keep away from it. Much like I still haven't heard enough positive things about Sapphire to even consider them.

From personal experience, I rate the following 4 as the best I have delt with.

EVGA
PNY
XFX
ASUS

Its not an entire derailment as it does have good information that might help him decide.

Bar none XFX's devotion in trying to help me sort out my 6XXX issues was nothing short of amazing. They got a good bunch of people over there.

-ST

Old August 5, 2011, 10:00 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I would go with the single 580 to allow an upgrade path down the road if desired.

Tags
amd , ati , gtx , hd 6950 , nvidia