Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 11, 2008, 08:19 AM
Rookie

supernode: well the expected price is about $449 US. which I don't think is too bad, and I'd be interested in seeing it run in a Quad SLI setup (it is suposeto beable to handle it) plus the price will prob drop after a month or 2. (I'm guessing)

but anyway's this thread is supostobe about the r700 (sorry for hijacking) I'd be interested in seeing this card too, (but not getting one becouse I like Nvidea for some reason...)

and odd, I read it was suposto be a 55nm gpu...

but once they come out I'm shure we will see lots of head to head action between the 2 :D:D
Old February 11, 2008, 02:06 PM
Rookie

yeh i give navidia one thing they make fast cards how i dont know but considering there old cards are as fast as atis new cards it kinda makes ati almost a step behind navidia in away! So the way i see it is if amd makes a dual core gpu that might put them one step ahead of navidia finaly i would like to see that happen.
Old February 11, 2008, 05:07 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by magictorch View Post
whats the G200?
Nvidia's rumoured next generation GPU. It's supposedly coming out 2H 2008. Not much is known about it yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernode View Post
whats up with the 9800 gx2 there conecting it on a ribbon what kinda joke is that its like somthing ati would do in diffacult times sounds like navidia is strugling i really dont want to see them come up short cause the price go through the roof. 3dfx had the right idea it just wouldnt fit in any ones computer though.
The 3870X2 is just crossfire on a board too. The 9800GX2 is basically just competition for the X2, and Nvidia's real next generation GPU is coming later. And no, nobody wants Nvidia to go down, although Intel is getting into GPU's and there would be competition from them (likely not anytime soon though). But I'm sure Nvidia will survive.
Old February 11, 2008, 05:13 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_black View Post
supernode: well the expected price is about $449 US. which I don't think is too bad, and I'd be interested in seeing it run in a Quad SLI setup (it is suposeto beable to handle it) plus the price will prob drop after a month or 2. (I'm guessing)
Yup, Crossfire X drivers should come out in March.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_black View Post
and odd, I read it was suposto be a 55nm gpu...

but once they come out I'm shure we will see lots of head to head action between the 2 :D:D
R700 will be 55nm. Some rumours said 45nm but I'm pretty sure that's not true. And yes, this year will be exciting!

Quote:
yeh i give navidia one thing they make fast cards how i dont know but considering there old cards are as fast as atis new cards it kinda makes ati almost a step behind navidia in away! So the way i see it is if amd makes a dual core gpu that might put them one step ahead of navidia finaly i would like to see that happen.
ATI is a step behind right now, but if R700 lives up to all the hype and it scales well and everything, it could turn out really good.
Old February 12, 2008, 01:19 AM
Rookie

i know this question is off topic but whats the spelling for navidia is is navidia or nvidia? U can tell im running a ati card cause dont know how to spell nvidia. I like this x1950 pro i think the 7600 gt i had that thing was fast in games. but the 1950 pro makes the games look nicer.
Old February 12, 2008, 08:44 AM
Top Prospect

With all that image processing power, I guess that PCIe 2.0 will be the limiting factor here. If you cannot allow information to navigate freely between the mother board and the GPUs, well, what is the purpose of having all that much power? Does anybody have real world transfer rate numbers? Maybe the 790FX chipset has a trick or 2 up it's bridges that would allow seamless communication between the superpower GPUs and the Cpus.

Time will tell

Para_Franck
Old February 12, 2008, 12:18 PM
Rookie

From what i understand is the mobo will have its own special bus system cause there saying its not compatiable with nvidia bus. thats what i understood from what i read but that would make sense since amd will need alot of bandwidth for one video card if its multi gpu. Im guesing the bus will be called somthing else other than pci express. I think the new bus will be on the 45nm socket mobo witch i figure will be somthing new other than am2+. I guess we will see in 2009 so they are saying as rumored.
Old February 12, 2008, 12:52 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
i know this question is off topic but whats the spelling for navidia is is navidia or nvidia? U can tell im running a ati card cause dont know how to spell nvidia. I like this x1950 pro i think the 7600 gt i had that thing was fast in games. but the 1950 pro makes the games look nicer.
It's spelled Nvidia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para_Franck View Post
With all that image processing power, I guess that PCIe 2.0 will be the limiting factor here. If you cannot allow information to navigate freely between the mother board and the GPUs, well, what is the purpose of having all that much power? Does anybody have real world transfer rate numbers? Maybe the 790FX chipset has a trick or 2 up it's bridges that would allow seamless communication between the superpower GPUs and the Cpus.

Time will tell

Para_Franck
PCIe2 and even 1.1 are enough for all current GPU's. The 3870x2 may work better on PCIe2, but I haven't seen any benches to prove it. I'm sure PCIe2 will still be used.

Quote:
From what i understand is the mobo will have its own special bus system cause there saying its not compatiable with nvidia bus. thats what i understood from what i read but that would make sense since amd will need alot of bandwidth for one video card if its multi gpu. Im guesing the bus will be called somthing else other than pci express. I think the new bus will be on the 45nm socket mobo witch i figure will be somthing new other than am2+. I guess we will see in 2009 so they are saying as rumored.
R700 is still sceduled for Q2 or Q3 2008. The rumours that said it was delayed are wrong, and the chips have already been taped out, which means they could come within half a year.
Old February 12, 2008, 01:36 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Para_Franck View Post
Technically, we haven't hit the bottleneck point for PCI-E 1.1, but we're getting a lot closer than some people realize. This Article is almost a year old now, but even then, a single (stock) 8800GTS 640 was seeing slight slowdowns while only running PCI-E x8. THG recently did another article trying to determine whether PCI-E 2.0 was necessary, and despite the half-assery of the comparisons, it seems like it's the GPU's themselves that are still the bottleneck, not the communications.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation of cards hit the point where first generation PCI-E x16 starts to become a bottleneck.
Old February 12, 2008, 06:01 PM
Rookie

I was sure the bus was being changed to accomadate the multi gpu cause amd says it wont be compatiable with nvidia from what amd says. so i figure the bus wont be pci express maybe due to the nature they need bus that will support multi threading. Im not postive on this one but im pretty sure the multi core gpus will need a special bus. but ive been wrong befor and from what i hear is that pci express 2 has more bandwidth than even 3870x2 can throw at it.