Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 26, 2011, 08:05 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

great review as always SKY!!!

Looks pretty good, performs great 4 the cost. The only thing I'm curious about is why it doesn't come with 3gb DDR5 ram, and why r we going 2 three slot cards?

Otherwise, damn fine product!
Old July 26, 2011, 08:13 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Wow what a GPU, OCs like hell. Would love to get one of these and bench sub zero.
I feel like this particular card will go to waste in my hands considering I have no water loops or any materials for performing sub zero benchies.

It's funny, before deciding on the card, most reviews showed it as a sub-par overclocker, given the beast of a cooler. This one blows the other review samples out of the water. Either a fantastic card or SKYMTL is much better at overclocking.
Old July 26, 2011, 09:00 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
The only thing I'm curious about is why it doesn't come with 3gb DDR5 ram
Why should it? We've seen time and again here at HWC how 3GB on a GTX 580 is completely wasted. The GPU runs out of steam far in advance of any memory bottleneck being hit.
Old July 26, 2011, 09:09 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I double checked the article , but couldnt find it; Since all new nV cards have independent VID's, whats the 'stock' VID on this particular card? Unless the 1.15@977Mhz was not overclocked Vcore? It may be wise to list Nv VID's on future models, much like CPU VID's, so people have a baseline idea of voltage levels to clocks. Just a suggestion
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about
Old July 26, 2011, 09:57 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Stock = 1.038V
Old July 26, 2011, 04:41 PM
Rookie

is there a mobo out there that could support this in SLI? It's too bad the cooler takes up so many slots.. =[

Great review tho!
Old August 19, 2011, 08:29 PM
Rookie

Great review! I must say that before this i was considering getting an EVGA GTX580, either the standard or DS version. But then i saw this beast, read this review, looked down at my ROG motherboard, and changed my mind.
At least with this card it takes advantage of the 3 slots it occupies, unlike EVGA's 580 DS which bulges into the third slot, but only has a 2 slot cooler. A definite lack of planning if you ask me, especially since the card is still loud.
Great to know that this is one of the quietest cards out there and that the fans are reliable. I currently have an MSI GTX460 Hawk which is very quiet and i like it, but the fans are already starting to make funny noises at low rpms. Might sell it for this beast or maybe make my little brother buy it off me for BF3 :)
Old August 19, 2011, 08:30 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkdagger View Post
is there a mobo out there that could support this in SLI? It's too bad the cooler takes up so many slots.. =[

Great review tho!
Most of ASUS's ROG motherboards should work, excluding the micro sized ones. There are other brands out there too, but what the heck, may as well get matching hardware!