Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 21, 2011, 11:04 PM
Top Prospect

Default Dedicated Physx Card Difference in Alice Madness Returns

So I just wanted to post the differences i get in game for "Alice Madness Returns" with and without a dedicated PhysX card. As you know my 5850 obviously can't do physx but lets just see how big the difference is. I used the Hybrid Physx Hack to get the two cards to play nice each other and just edited the alice game to use the gt430.

My system:
HD 5850 (Main)
GT 430 (PhysX)
Q6600 @ 3ghz
8gb Ram
120gb Revo Drive

Both tests were done in the same section of the game with PhysX set to High. The one without the GT 430 was longer because it was harder to beat the monsters with all the lag.
Attached Images

4x2gb Patriot
Yea I haven't updated much in a while. :(

Last edited by ineedaname; July 21, 2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old July 21, 2011, 11:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What were you using to bench to make those charts?
Old July 21, 2011, 11:19 PM
Top Prospect

I just used FRAPS to bench and I used excel to make the chart.
4x2gb Patriot
Old July 22, 2011, 02:03 AM
MVP

now u see the reason for that is ur dedicated card is AMD (ie no support for nVidia's proprietary physx software). Thus, your system is trying to load physx (parallel computing optimized API) to the CPU which is better suited at serial computing! It's kinda like trying to get a CPU to render graphics to a lesser degree...basically hopeless to run physx without a compatible GPU! now if your main GPU was nVidia and u did the benchmark comparing with and without dedicated GT430 physx computing then it would be more of a real world interest to this, and I presume then the effect would be negligible or even detrimental if the main GPU is far more powerful than the dedicated physx card (in such a situation the physx card would be the bottleneck).
Old July 22, 2011, 09:49 AM
Banned
F@H

nice. although i think a 430 s a tad weak for physx.
Old July 22, 2011, 09:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You should also be turning down the settings as there is no point in having all the visual eye candy setting on if you drop below 30 fps constantly, which you are without the 430.
Old July 22, 2011, 10:05 AM
Rookie

If he would have done that it wouldn't be much of a comparison would it.
Old July 22, 2011, 12:03 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalGreen View Post
now u see the reason for that is ur dedicated card is AMD (ie no support for nVidia's proprietary physx software). Thus, your system is trying to load physx (parallel computing optimized API) to the CPU which is better suited at serial computing! It's kinda like trying to get a CPU to render graphics to a lesser degree...basically hopeless to run physx without a compatible GPU! now if your main GPU was nVidia and u did the benchmark comparing with and without dedicated GT430 physx computing then it would be more of a real world interest to this, and I presume then the effect would be negligible or even detrimental if the main GPU is far more powerful than the dedicated physx card (in such a situation the physx card would be the bottleneck).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
You should also be turning down the settings as there is no point in having all the visual eye candy setting on if you drop below 30 fps constantly, which you are without the 430.
That was kinda the point of why I posted it. I specifically wanted to show the difference a dedicated physx card will do for you if you have an ati card as your main. If I turned down the settings then that would kinda defeat the purpose of what I was trying to show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
nice. although i think a 430 s a tad weak for physx.
I actually tried my friend's GTX 560 the other day but unfortunately I don't still have the card or I'd post more results. I can say however that it didn't make much of a difference compared to the GT 430. I checked the load on the GT 430 and it wasn't even maxed yet.
4x2gb Patriot

Last edited by ineedaname; July 22, 2011 at 12:13 PM.
Old July 22, 2011, 12:19 PM
Banned
F@H

very interesting. it then depends on the game and the settings used.
Old July 22, 2011, 12:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalGreen View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaname View Post
That was kinda the point of why I posted it. I specifically wanted to show the difference a dedicated physx card will do for you if you have an ati card as your main. If I turned down the settings then that would kinda defeat the purpose of what I was trying to show.
Gotta luv the guys like this 1st poster quoted whom are TOTALY in the green camp & think that no one has any interest in doin so or would be cause its not a "compatibile gpu" ...... funny how 1 of the other major review sites did the same thing as the op did using the unsuported methos & when it was head 2 head the ati card actualy excelled in that comparision ... NOT preformed worst.

But of course lets not forget the other fact that PhysX is only a best a 10% booster in fps & for more "eye candy" type of affects that 1 top end card from either company can do anyways. Again tests done by various other major review sites showed this that there was little to no advantage of having it. Why do ya think the original cards didn't sell well ...

Btw, gj on the lil post ineedaname