Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 20, 2011, 07:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default What's with 'nVidia HD Audio' driver?

So, as some of you know, I ended up with an EVGA GTX 580 in my new build, rather than the original 2x 570's. Now, performance wise I'm happy with the 580, and will likely get a second when the timing is right and the sli issues I saw are fixed. However, I ran in to a few issues after switching to the 580...

When making the switch, I followed SOP and completely uninstalled the old drivers, installed the new GPU, then reinstalled drivers. Everything went smoothly... for about 5 minutes. Then I started to notice screen flickering, mouse input lag, and the occasional complete black-out of my monitor. (Screen would go completely black for a brief second, but the monitor wasn't in 'power-save' mode.)

At first I was choked because I figured it was a DOA GPU. However, after putting some use on the card, I determined something very odd; the issue ONLY occurs within a Windows environment. I could game for hours and never run in to the issue, but if I was downloading, surfing internet, or anything else that had me in the Windows environment, I would see the issue constantly.

Obviously I went through the standard reinstall of drivers, tried an older version of the drivers, etc. but nothing was working. At this point I started recalling stories I had heard about the 5970's artifacting and having issues if they ran too cool, and I wondered if there was something of a similar nature happening here. So I took to Google to see what I could find. I didn't get much, but I found someone with a similar issue that had someone suggest he disable or uninstall the nVidia HD Audio driver. There was, however, no response to the suggestion. I was a bit skeptical, but it was the only suggestion I'd seen so I thought I'd give it a whirl.

Lo and behold! It worked! I completely uninstalled the nVidia HD Audio drivers, and I've been flicker/black screen free for a few days now. WTF!?

Has anyone run in to this before? Or aware of issues with the HDAudio drivers? I'm especially baffled because I don't use HDMI. I use a DVI connection for video, so these drivers shouldn't be an issue. Tres bizarre....
Old July 20, 2011, 07:34 AM
Banned
F@H

well i've run into the no sound issue with the stupid nv hd audio installed,so i make sure to chose custom when installing,along with

fresh install or whatever they call it so it wipes the other stuff thats been there
Old July 20, 2011, 07:52 AM
Hall Of Fame

I've seen issues with nv audio conflicting with realtek audio and causing a no audio issue.
Old July 20, 2011, 08:07 AM
Top Prospect

Yeah...these nVidia HD audio drivers are strange. I haven't had the issue the OP is describing and no issues with my sound card. But, I've noticed any time I install the nv audio drivers, the windows audio control panel says that "No audio devices are installed"...I dunno.
Old July 20, 2011, 08:10 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I never install that, what's the point? Each board has it's own audio drivers, there is no need for installing stuff that is not necessary.
Old July 20, 2011, 08:16 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
I never install that, what's the point? Each board has it's own audio drivers, there is no need for installing stuff that is not necessary.
I think it has something to do with allowing the HDMI sound to be carried through.
Old July 20, 2011, 08:26 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Yeah I've never done audio through hdmi from any of my computers before so it is pointless for me.
Old July 20, 2011, 09:45 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Im using a 22 inch 60 hrtz monititor so its best fore me not to install 3D drivers also.