Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   570gtx bottleneck? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/44966-570gtx-bottleneck.html)

krep July 17, 2011 09:10 AM

570gtx bottleneck?

just wanted to get some info im planning on building a new pc at the end of Aug or early september but i got a really good deal on a 570GTX the other day also picked up a 750w ps. The problem im having is how much of a bottle neck is my stock Q6600 with the 570GTX. I only have 4gigs of ram and am only on 32bit windows couldn't find my 64bit windows key. I just upgraded from a 8800GT its quite a difference but I was kinda of expecting a bit more.

sorry for that not very organized text box

enaberif July 17, 2011 09:28 AM

32 vs 64 ain't gonna make much of a difference.

What resolution do you run and screen size? Is your q6600 overclocked or stock?

_dangtx_ July 17, 2011 09:34 AM

you could add more ram but the older cpu and such forth will keep it back,even at higher resolutions.

try to score a 2500k if you can or wait some more....for bulldozer? :)

Teal3800 July 17, 2011 12:17 PM

He is running win xp 32bit, more ram will do nothing for him as he already has 4 gigs. Your Q6600 will bottle neck it some. You could buy an aftermarket cooler, see current hardware canucks evga cooler review for options, and oc your Q6600, which will help you out. Maybe you'll be lucky and hit 3.6-3.8. You will also be able to use that cooler on whatever you upgrade to whether it's sandybridge or bulldozer.

If you are playing at a lower resolution than 1920x1080 you may not be getting the increase you expected, should be atleast double the fps of your old card, due to these cards being cpu bound at lower resolutions, especially in directx9. Once you started adding directx10 with aa and af, you'd really notice your new card outpacing your old.

So you're definitely cpu bound and OS bound, possibly monitor bound too.

Also did you install the latest nvidia drivers?

enaberif July 17, 2011 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teal3800 (Post 533741)
He is running win xp 32bit, more ram will do nothing for him as he already has 4 gigs. Your Q6600 will bottle neck it some. You could buy an aftermarket cooler, see current hardware canucks evga cooler review for options, and oc your Q6600, which will help you out. Maybe you'll be lucky and hit 3.6-3.8. You will also be able to use that cooler on whatever you upgrade to whether it's sandybridge or bulldozer.

If you are playing at a lower resolution than 1920x1080 you may not be getting the increase you expected, should be atleast double the fps of your old card, due to these cards being cpu bound at lower resolutions, especially in directx9. Once you started adding directx10 with aa and af, you'd really notice your new card outpacing your old.

So you're definitely cpu bound and OS bound, possibly monitor bound too.

Also did you install the latest nvidia drivers?

Hardly OS bound and monitor bound. Cpu bound perhaps.

Teal3800 July 17, 2011 08:00 PM

What I mean by OS and moniter bound(still don't know what his res is) is the more current features and higher resolutions you run on current high end video cards lessens the amount you're cpu bottlenecks it. Heck an oc'd Q6600 can still outpace a similarly clocked Phenom II X4, which some on hear wouldn't consider much of a bottleneck. Even if his only hits 3.2GHz he should be fine.

To correct myself in my previous post, if you are not currently getting close to atleast 3x(not 2X like i said) your old card you have other problems,likely driver, than your cpu being a bottleneck.

enaberif July 17, 2011 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teal3800 (Post 533848)
What I mean by OS and moniter bound(still don't know what his res is) is the more current features and higher resolutions you run on current high end video cards lessens the amount you're cpu bottlenecks it. Heck an oc'd Q6600 can still outpace a similarly clocked Phenom II X4, which some on hear wouldn't consider much of a bottleneck. Even if his only hits 3.2GHz he should be fine.

To correct myself in my previous post, if you are not currently getting close to atleast 3x(not 2X like i said) your old card you have other problems,likely driver, than your cpu being a bottleneck.

There is still nothing even now in what you said that means its OS bound. To be OS bound means that him running XP he is gonna see a decrease in performance over running Win 7 which is not the case.

supaflyx3 July 17, 2011 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teal3800 (Post 533848)

any Phenom II x4 will run circles around core 2 quads, the 940 kills the Q9550, so that really shows you how C2Qs really compare to newer generations.

JJThomp July 17, 2011 08:46 PM

If your q6600 isn't oc'd to the max you will definately see a pretty hard bottleneck there.

krep July 17, 2011 09:11 PM

Im running windows 7. I have a Samsung syncmaster 226bw resolution is only 1680x1040 which might be my problem. Was planning on getting a 2500k in a month or so is it really worth the wait for bulldozer the sandybridge are still looking pretty awesome. I though about buying an aftermarket cooler and OC but if im getting a new cpu in a month or some i can probably just deal with it till then.