Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2011, 07:46 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

is it me or what?

i was told (long ago) that nvidia uses pci-E 2.0 but ati uses most of the time pci-E 2.1?
thats what i think so please can someone give the official anwser??
Old July 15, 2011, 09:08 AM
MVP

My System Specs

low profile-5750(power color) if you can find one

if not yo should be able to find a low pro 5670 made by msi, saphire may make one too
Old July 15, 2011, 09:14 AM
MVP

My System Specs

and if your budget is 400 and you want as much gaming power you can get in a slim case i would get a matx mb that supports crossifre and crossifre two low pro 5670's because if i recall 5670 is the highest you can go in crossfire without needing a bridge(someone correct me if im wrong) and low pro cards dont have the connections for a bridge
Old July 15, 2011, 10:17 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bl4ck_rainbow View Post
is it me or what?

i was told (long ago) that nvidia uses pci-E 2.0 but ati uses most of the time pci-E 2.1?
thats what i think so please can someone give the official anwser??
I think you are confusing an issue that you need not worry about.
For up to this point so long as it is PCI-e it will be both forward and reverse compatible with whatever the card was initially designed for.

As the Boards develop new PCI-e Buses , you will see card manufacturers develop new cards based on that. It isn't a matter of one Manufacturer using one version and one using another.
It all depends when t he card was developed, what was prevelent at the time on MB's.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 15, 2011, 10:30 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Arrow Your are limited by your PSU not your money

With all due respect to all the fellow posters, however the only problem with all these recommendations is that the Acer is limited to a (poor) 220W PSU. Now with that power supply, I would be even supprised if it could run using anything over a GT 315 - well, yes it could but for how long.

Now, if you can upgrade your Power Supply from the 220W to at least a 400W, and I assume that your case can take a dual-slot card (the rear connector takes-up 2 or more pci-e slots), then you can get your hands on this video card from newegg: Palit NE5S4500F0601 GeForce GTS 450.

Please note that this card requires a minimum 400 Watt power supply.

Do correct me if I am wrong, I just would not want anyone to fry their system due to unitended negligence. It probobably wont even start with the Palit card, but with a GT 430 or equivelant it might be a different and very short story.

Last edited by EmptyMellon; July 15, 2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: too many spaces between paragraphs
Old July 15, 2011, 10:43 PM
Hall Of Fame

oh yes that 450 would be much better. I'm personally not familiar with all the SFF cards available. a 220W psu could handle the a small video card, it wouldn't be pretty, but it would be fine.
Old July 16, 2011, 05:43 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

for 400$ you can get a decent case and power supply and videocard, for example Antec NSK 4482B (80$ at directcanada.com and free ground shipping) comes with an Earth Watts 380 that can easily hold a 460GTX, i have such a configuration on a quad core Phenom II 940, 4 sticks of ram, ssd+hdd and it holds it fine. Remaining in the constraints of low profile will limit you at radeon 5570 or the aforementioned GTS 450 which is like 130$ on newegg.ca. But in order to keep that you need to change the power supply too and there will be a lot of headache in there. Best idea is to move to uATX size and your options will be much more diversified going all the way up to the limit of your budget. With a 500-550W PSU you can go all the way up to the GTX 560 Ti.

Old July 16, 2011, 07:58 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmptyMellon View Post
With all due respect to all the fellow posters, however the only problem with all these recommendations is that the Acer is limited to a (poor) 220W PSU. Now with that power supply, I would be even supprised if it could run using anything over a GT 315 - well, yes it could but for how long.

Now, if you can upgrade your Power Supply from the 220W to at least a 400W, and I assume that your case can take a dual-slot card (the rear connector takes-up 2 or more pci-e slots), then you can get your hands on this video card from newegg: Palit NE5S4500F0601 GeForce GTS 450.

Please note that this card requires a minimum 400 Watt power supply.

Do correct me if I am wrong, I just would not want anyone to fry their system due to unitended negligence. It probobably wont even start with the Palit card, but with a GT 430 or equivelant it might be a different and very short story.

You would have no problem putting a GT430 in there or its ATI equivelent.
Anything beyond that would be pushing your luck, but the 430 would suffice, after all its design is more efficent than the previous 3XX series of OEM GPU's.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 16, 2011, 07:09 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
You would have no problem putting a GT430 in there or its ATI equivelent.
Anything beyond that would be pushing your luck, but the 430 would suffice, after all its design is more efficent than the previous 3XX series of OEM GPU's.

ST
I guess I am still stuck in the days of the 8400GS, one would think that they do make thinks more efficient, hence GT430.
Old August 1, 2011, 07:06 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

thanks everyone for your patience and knowledge!

soon enough ill start my build then xD

thx again
-br-