Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   SLI GTX 580's & GTX 480 Dedicated? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/44806-sli-gtx-580s-gtx-480-dedicated.html)

TokeR July 10, 2011 07:30 AM

SLI GTX 580's & GTX 480 Dedicated?
I know having such a powerful dedicated physics GPU is a bit ridiculous..

But I'm planning on buying two GTX 580's and I don't have anything to do with the old GTX 480 the question is would it even be worth the added heat & noise to run the 480 as dedicated physics I'm not even sure if you would see an improvement?

I would be playing on a 2560 x 1600 resolution.

Hmm.. I'm even starting to question whether I should be buying 580's this late, I assume a new series will be out early 2012 what do you guys think should I wait till the next gen is released?

Thanks for the help as always!

GT7R July 10, 2011 08:00 AM

It'll be worth it only if you're going to be playing a specific game a LOT which implements physx heavily. otherwise? doesn't worth it.

_dangtx_ July 10, 2011 08:26 AM

sell it or trickle it down to another pc.

although i would've waited for the next iteration of cards on a smaller process.

stil a bit of a ways off but still

TokeR July 10, 2011 08:54 AM

Yeah I want to wait for Kepler I really should, people I've spoken to have estimated early next year..

Is there any date on when the next Core i7 "990x" will be out, like I know there are newer CPU's but what is the next "big deal" like the 1366 CPU's I just find them more extreme than the 1167 and 1155 CPU's.

I wouldn't mind making a new build in a TJ11 case based on whatever the next "big deal" socket is of 2012 and the kepler GPU's that would be something worth saving for..

How much do you think I could sell a USED GTX 480 for?

MARSTG July 10, 2011 08:54 AM

or you can keep it on a smaller system and fold

_dangtx_ July 10, 2011 09:12 AM

try 300aud?

no idea on the new cpus,but clock yours to hold you off :)

bloomfield is still decent, unless you haven't bought yet!

or yes,do fold,if you can spare the extra heat down under!

TokeR July 13, 2011 08:42 AM

300AUD Ain't too bad I wouldn't mind selling it for that. But I think I'll hold off and wait to see what 2012 brings us!
I will probably make some sort of dedicated folding rig with whatever parts I have left over from 2012's build.. but in
summer I definitely wont be running it in any room I have to be in lol. This room gets stupidly hot when gaming in
summer 24/7 folding would be crazy! Thanks for the help!

supaflyx3 July 13, 2011 10:32 AM

I wouldn't really call $300 AUD a good selling price, probably closer to 220-240, but then again i don't know australias hardware market, things could be oodles more expensive there then it is here in canada.

rjbarker July 13, 2011 12:24 PM

2 x 580's will be the "sweet Spot" for your Resolution!

DON'T use the 480 for PhysX, your SLi 580's will be adequate and given the number (or should say lack of) PhysX supported Games out thier, it certainly isn't worth the added heat and reduced air flow!!

Why wait another 9 months to a year to take full advantage of 2560 x 1600 Res????...

I sold off 2 x 480's about 8 months ago (when 580's released) for around $375 CDN ea. Just sold off a 580 SC about 3 months ago for $425.

...or as was mentioned trickle it down to another rig.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:07 AM.