Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 5, 2011, 08:37 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Say what? It was tested in FOUR different configs: open bench, case with standard front / rear cooling, case with a side 120mm fan and finally with a 120mm fan strapped directly to the heatsink. What more could you possibly want?
Old July 5, 2011, 09:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Oh? Where did you hear this!?
Mike Chin has been thinking about selling/shutting down for a very long time now.

He made an official post a while back: SPCR • View topic - Mike's final sign-off

He's since revamped his idea since the community feedback was pretty overwhelming: SPCR • View topic - Seeking New Lab for SPCR in the Vancouver Area

TLDR: SPCR needs investors, if it doesn't get any it'll be shut down and archived by Anandtech for free.

I myself am recently unemployed and have some good credit rating plus a little savings, even been thinking about joining up myself.
Old July 5, 2011, 09:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Say what? It was tested in FOUR different configs: open bench, case with standard front / rear cooling, case with a side 120mm fan and finally with a 120mm fan strapped directly to the heatsink. What more could you possibly want?
He wanted you to purchase a Shuttle Case, Water cool the CPU, and then stuff the case at the back of your entertainment center of course!

In reality to the Poster you were replying to SKY:

There are lots of cases HTPC that nowadays have plenty of Fan Options to keep everything nice and cool. So the reality is, the Method is sound. There might be the rare one that will BBQ it, but that is true for anything really. Not just this Niche Market.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old July 10, 2011, 05:41 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I like that card, this is a product I would buy. I used to own 2 x 4850 passively cooled from Gigabytes and they were good cards. I found that you can achieve a good balance of performances and silence when those cards are used in a full tower case with big ventilators. Mine were setup in a HAF 932 and with the huge 200 mm fan on the side there were no worries about heat. My rig wasn't completely silent but the noise wasn't intrusive. Also, I had those cards used in a much smaller inclosure and they did perform splendidly, they were made to take a lot of head abuse. I command PowerColor for making such a GPU as it's a tough act to balance silence and performance and not that many companies are willing under take this endeavor. As for the price, well it's pretty much standard business as all silent edition of a specific model is a bit more expansive that it's regular version. I am all for choices and more options is always good for me.