Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Nvidia or ATI (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/4463-nvidia-ati.html)

Witwikki February 5, 2008 08:41 PM

Nvidia or ATI
 
Hello everyone at Hardware Canucks,
I've got a really intesesting question in regards to my motherboard, right now I'm currently working with a system that is a ASUS P5W DH Deluxe motherboard, and the intel chipset is a 975 I believe, however, with that said it appears that Nvidia doesn't support SLI on this chipset, if I'm incorrect, please let me know. However, so the situation is that I'm using a single Nvidia XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition with 512MB or Video RAM, however, I'm looking for a ATI Crossfire configuration for my motherboard, instead of using SLI mode for the board because of the Intel Chipset limited support issue. So, what is everyones suggestion to a great Video card from ATI that would be able to play Crysis and other high end games at max settings, I'm thinking of the ATI Radeon 2900HD series, a certain model or manufacture would be greatly appreciate to direct me into the right direction upon making the purchase thank you forum readers. :thumb:

sswilson February 5, 2008 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Witwikki (Post 39054)
Hello everyone at Hardware Canucks,
I've got a really intesesting question in regards to my motherboard, right now I'm currently working with a system that is a ASUS P5W DH Deluxe motherboard, and the intel chipset is a 975 I believe, however, with that said it appears that Nvidia doesn't support SLI on this chipset, if I'm incorrect, please let me know. However, so the situation is that I'm using a single Nvidia XFX 8800GT Alpha Dog Edition with 512MB or Video RAM, however, I'm looking for a ATI Crossfire configuration for my motherboard, instead of using SLI mode for the board because of the Intel Chipset limited support issue. So, what is everyones suggestion to a great Video card from ATI that would be able to play Crysis and other high end games at max settings, I'm thinking of the ATI Radeon 2900HD series, a certain model or manufacture would be greatly appreciate to direct me into the right direction upon making the purchase thank you forum readers. :thumb:

That's last year's tech....

If you're looking for a card you might Xfire with have a look at the 3870 series. There's even a X2 now (we've got a review on our front page) which has two GPUs on the same board rather than the previous method of joining two full cards together for a single card sli/Xfire solution.

HIS ICEQ3 series has pretty damn good non-reference cooling, but that will only matter if you don't intend to replace the cooling with an after-market solution.

biff February 5, 2008 09:43 PM

Others would know better than me but since you have a 8800GT I'd sit tight for a bit. The newer "killer" cards seem to just be hyped up recycled current technology so not a great leap forward, not enough to justify the cost anyway. nVidia's 9xxx cards are on the horizon and ATI is looking like they're getting back in the saddle and ready to compete again so there might be some good competition before long. Besides I think it's been shown many times that multiple graphics cards don't scale well. Yeah it's faster but again at what cost and for what gain?

Just my 2 cents.

Witwikki February 5, 2008 09:59 PM

Thank you everyone for the replies, appreciate the great response and technical knowledge from both of you. thanks again, :clap:

Thund3rball February 5, 2008 10:53 PM

If your hard set on an ATI configuration I'd go with the 3870x2 as sswilson mentioned. Performance wise I think it inches past a crossfire setup and it's only 1 PCI-e? Or save a bit of $$ by going 2x 3850. Otherwise wait till the Nvidia 9*** come out around March, IIRC, to decide.

Diablo February 6, 2008 04:26 AM

from what i have seen and read about the new 3870X2 i like what i see and its the same or less then a 8800gtx... and as we have seen almost all of the down saids are driver related with ati is working day and night to improve and maby its just me but its just fun to fool around with 2 gps :bananafunky: .

ass it allwes is with leading edge grafix prosesing the drivers are behind the hardware with meens the 3870X2 will get faster as time gos on.:thumb: remember wen the 8800 1st came out...:doh: but now the drivers are grate ..same with ati...and in you have the 3870X2 in mind remember that all of the other reviews use older drivers then the review here at hardware canucks.

so i put my vote for the 3870X2 ...and i have put my money were my mouth is:clap:. and mine is in the mail...:bananafunky:

vdf22 February 6, 2008 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Diablo (Post 39099)
from what i have seen and read about the new 3870X2 i like what i see and its the same or less then a 8800gtx... and as we have seen almost all of the down saids are driver related with ati is working day and night to improve and maby its just me but its just fun to fool around with 2 gps :bananafunky: .

ass it allwes is with leading edge grafix prosesing the drivers are behind the hardware with meens the 3870X2 will get faster as time gos on.:thumb: remember wen the 8800 1st came out...:doh: but now the drivers are grate ..same with ati...and in you have the 3870X2 in mind remember that all of the other reviews use older drivers then the review here at hardware canucks.

so i put my vote for the 3870X2 ...and i have put my money were my mouth is:clap:. and mine is in the mail...:bananafunky:

Yeah, drivers are still pretty new. Apparently they're working hard on them though and they can only get better.

enaberif February 6, 2008 02:12 PM

Myself personally I say nvidia.

Why? Well for one I hate the fact that with ATI I gotta have .net 2.0+ installed which is a 100mb download then the ATI Catalyst Drivers which is another 40-50mb download and even then the performance between ATI and nVidia is so close it comes down to personal preference.

vdf22 February 6, 2008 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 39194)
Myself personally I say nvidia.

Why? Well for one I hate the fact that with ATI I gotta have .net 2.0+ installed which is a 100mb download then the ATI Catalyst Drivers which is another 40-50mb download and even then the performance between ATI and nVidia is so close it comes down to personal preference.

You really should have .NET installed anyway. And I'm pretty sure that's only for CCC and the drivers don't need .NET. And if you're just downloading the drivers (not CCC) it's a <20MB download.

enaberif February 6, 2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vdf22 (Post 39196)
You really should have .NET installed anyway. And I'm pretty sure that's only for CCC and the drivers don't need .NET. And if you're just downloading the drivers (not CCC) it's a <20MB download.

Yes but when people install something they choose defaults and Windows XP SP2 install does not come standard with .NET 2.0 only Vista does.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:50 PM.