Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2011, 10:30 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emach View Post
Time to re-do this review Skymtl. On my single 30" monitor running at 2560x1600 my sli 580 3gigs are getting around 1950-2000 mb vram usage, while playing Crysis 2 (DX11 patch) Also, you might want to really try and use the card as intended and put it in a tri monitor setup to see how it stacks up against the other cards. I know you made a quick mention to it but without that testing is this review even VALID?!?
You clearly didn't read any of the posts within this thread; EVGA Refused to send SKY another card, so SLI testing was automatically out of the question, and in order to conduct proper benchmarks, 2 reference cards would be required.
Old June 27, 2011, 10:34 PM
Rookie

You need sli to do tri monitor and stated he doesn't have a second card.
Old June 28, 2011, 05:56 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Time to re-do this review Skymtl. On my single 30" monitor running at 2560x1600 my sli 580 3gigs are getting around 1950-2000 mb vram usage, while playing Crysis 2 (DX11 patch)
You do know that the Crysis DX11 patch has a memory leak, right? It actually pushes the memory needs BEYOND the 3.2GB mark in some places. There's no way I'm going to redo this review due to a buggy game's lack of performance optimizations.

Quote:
Also, you might want to really try and use the card as intended and put it in a tri monitor setup to see how it stacks up against the other cards. I know you made a quick mention to it but without that testing is this review even VALID?!?
I see nowhere in the PR material, reviewer's guide or even on EVGA's site that these cards are "intended" to be used within an SLI setup for best results. If that is true, I should have put even more negative in my conclusion. Why would anyone want a card literally forces people to spend $600 MORE (in addition to its SRP of ~$600) for optimal performance?

And yeah, the tests are more valid than you think since may people seem to think that 3GB will actually help a GTX 580's performance. Obviously, it doesn't.

I'm looking into buying another 3GB card but even I think it is a waste of money...

Last edited by SKYMTL; June 28, 2011 at 06:01 AM.
Old June 28, 2011, 08:15 AM
Banned
F@H

wait so you got to buy a card in order to test 2 of them on a tri screen? thats absurd.

how badly does the new evga pr guy think of you lol!?

and no one around with a loaner?
Old June 28, 2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
wait so you got to buy a card in order to test 2 of them on a tri screen? thats absurd.

how badly does the new evga pr guy think of you lol!?

and no one around with a loaner?
Hell, I'd rent a loaner from someone if they'd step forward.

As for EVGA, supposedly allocation of this card is VERY tight so it is understandable why they couldn't send another.
Old June 28, 2011, 08:39 AM
Banned
F@H

right. and how long do you have before having to ship it back?

im sure a kind soul could ship it to you and go without it for a week or so,unless they were local hint hint :S
Old June 28, 2011, 09:08 AM

We'll see. I won't loose any sleep over this whole thing anyways since we're now in a niche WITHIN a niche just to somehow justify the existence of 3GB cards.
Old June 28, 2011, 09:14 AM
Banned
F@H

true, but also it would be interesting to see if nv will go amd's way of a die shrink + more stuff under the hood or
straight to a new architecture in the coming 6 months or so ;)
Old June 28, 2011, 09:42 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
...we're now in a niche WITHIN a niche...

On Topic, If you do go ahead with the 3GB SLI review, I look forward to seeing the results!
Old June 28, 2011, 09:49 AM
Rookie

Well, the as intended comment is my assertion not Evga's or Nvidia's. But it's clear that 1.5 gddr5 is enough on most titles while playing 1080 resolution. Since Nvidia has the limitation of not running tri monitors on one card, then sli regrettably is nessisary. (Yes I know the 590 can do it.)
I don't mean to bash the article, since there is a wealth of good information there but I feel like the review is incomplete when not allowing the card to stretch it's legs. Again that's my opinion! I'd be happy to send you my card for sli testing on three monitors and get a revised or amended review. Provided that Hardware Canucks insures it's care. Send me an email so we can get it going.