Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 3, 2011, 08:18 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
XFX Radeon 6970 and Radeon 6950 Graphics Card Review - CrossFire / Eyefinity vs SLI

look that up before giving up the radeons. look at the spanking lol
Spanking or not, I'm tired of when the desktop changes (like when UAC pops up, or resolution changes, or when I alt-tab out of a game), it taking 2-4 minutes to actually change after going black and cutting my Internet connection(yes I've had this problem, don't know why it would cut my Internet though), desktop flickering, displayport adapter failures(once a day, probably just need a new one), AMD's poor fixes(crysis 2 flickering issue, basically disables crossfire for the fix), updates are not consistent(a fix in 10.4 may not be there in 10.5, so you are forced to compromise), etc. It has not been a real peachy experience for me, but I am used to it now. Lol.

Looks like I will be stuck with AMD until I upgrade my CPU/mobo in a year or so.... I'll definitely get a mobo with SLI though. If only 2 years ago, I had even remotely thought about multiple video cards... Lol.

Edit: I hate this phone...

Last edited by Remoth; June 3, 2011 at 08:25 AM.
Old June 3, 2011, 10:01 AM
Banned
F@H

uac should be off from the second you get to the desktop on first boot lol

i see people complain about drivers and some games, and other people with the same exact hardware not complain

so one is doing it wrong..:)
Old June 3, 2011, 10:50 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
uac should be off from the second you get to the desktop on first boot lol

i see people complain about drivers and some games, and other people with the same exact hardware not complain

so one is doing it wrong..:)
Yeah yeah, I don't always remember to turn it off, plus it's the Alt tabbing that really screws me over. If you would like to come and install my drivers, be my guest. All I know is I've installed, uninstalled, driver swept, clean install of windows, and still get the same stupid problems with the same drivers. One set will work fine, but then the next set will have the problems. He'll, I'm open to admitting my mistakes. Tell me how I should install them, what steps should be taken before installing drivers? Don't just say "you're doing it wrong" and not give any constructive advice.
Old June 3, 2011, 12:10 PM
Banned
F@H

then itsa case by case thingie.

i get calls from both side of the fence,and not one outnumbers the other. go figure :)
Old June 4, 2011, 10:36 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I second Remoth, went into crossfire with my 5850's with all the optimism and enthusiasm in the world. After about a month I'm, just so frustrated with AMD's shoddy driver fixes and crap performance overall. Sure i wont dispute that you get huge frames, hell in Crysis 2 i get almost double the FPS on max settings than i do with a single 5850, but then it flickers and the frame rate is so inconsistent. Afterburner reports about 84fps constant but for a couple of seconds the game will slow down, then it'll speed up (still smooth but literally slow motion) makes the multiplayer almost impossible. That and not to mention the only games that seem to support Crossfire to a decent extent are either benchmarks or the original Crysis.

Frankly, I'm just flocking off both my 5850's for like $240 and crossing over to NVIDIA despite their insanely high prices for high tier cards :S

*On a side note i hear RUMOURS that crossfire doesn't support socket 775 computers (quads and core 2's) so if you have an i5 or i7 the experience MIGHT NOT be so TRAUMATIC
Old June 4, 2011, 11:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remoth View Post
Yeah yeah, I don't always remember to turn it off, plus it's the Alt tabbing that really screws me over. If you would like to come and install my drivers, be my guest. All I know is I've installed, uninstalled, driver swept, clean install of windows, and still get the same stupid problems with the same drivers. One set will work fine, but then the next set will have the problems. He'll, I'm open to admitting my mistakes. Tell me how I should install them, what steps should be taken before installing drivers? Don't just say "you're doing it wrong" and not give any constructive advice.
Are you having the issue where it takes almost a minute to minimize, launch a game or close a game? I have an issue with the latest drivers where my GPU1 will go to 100% load and stay there. Games will run fine, but switching between fullscreen to desktop or back is awful. A reboot is required. This is a bug that appeared in 11.1 or a bit earlier. 10.6 gives me no issues with this.
Old June 5, 2011, 05:27 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

Look 4 reviews on the 580 3gb. I found a few that show 4 in sli using the multi monitor setup. Now we know

that's insane, and only for those with $ 2 burn. The point is that extra ram on your vga does make a

difference when playing ultra high end multi monitor setups.

Here's 1:
YouTube - ‪4 Way SLI Palit GTX 580 3GB The‹berSystem‬‏

How many people would have that SR-2 setup? Truly insane!

I've been salivating since. 2 many cobwebs in my wallet 4 that.
Old June 8, 2011, 12:46 AM
Top Prospect

well, I decided to splurge a bit. I'll have a very good income in the immediate future, so I decided to treat myself. I went and purchased an Asus Sabertooth X58 board and 2 EVGA 570's (1280MB). So far I am extremely happy. Very few problems concerning usability. Black ops, Battlefield, Crysis all play flawlessly. 1920x1200, 16x or 32x AA, and average over 100 fps! I need a longer DVI cable before I can try surround, but that will come in the next few days. I think this will tide me over until Nvidia releases the next set of cards and I may go for ultra-high end, but I cant see myself going back to AMD in the near future.

@lKashl - I do have an i7, but it did not help... I sold the 5850 that the fan was going bad on for $150, and I'm gonna build a Q6600 system and sell the whole thing as a side project. (I have 3 spare Q6600's)

@fishingfanatic - haha, thats crazy. In the future, if my apprenticeship goes well, I should be able to do that too, lol.

heres a pic of my build with the new cards(I know the SSDs are in a peculiar spot, I needed the hard drive slots): Twitpic - Share photos and videos on Twitter

Last edited by Remoth; June 11, 2011 at 09:51 AM.
Old June 8, 2011, 03:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

Good choice with the cards! Enjoy!!!