Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 2, 2011, 02:39 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Ok I took a look at the manual (chapter 4 http://www.hisdigital.com/UserFiles/...0_6870_ENU.pdf) and with the 6000 series cards you can only use 1 of the 2 DVI slots at once. So you have 1 monitor through DVI port, 2nd through HDMI and for monitor 3 you need a active display port to dvi adapter. NCIX or similar sells em.
Old June 2, 2011, 02:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The reference HD 5770 design didn't have a VGA port either and NOTHING has changed in terms of output connectivity on the newer cards.
Changes:
1) DP on 5770 is now 2 x mDP
2) 2x DVI-I on 5770 is now 1x DVI-I + 1 x DVI-D. The latter doesn't do analog/VGA.
Old June 2, 2011, 02:57 PM

Exactly why the second one isnt working for you, it cant be converted to VGA. You can get a hdmi to vga adapter so you need that + active display port to dvi and you are good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfxmike View Post
Changes:
1) DP on 5770 is now 2 x mDP
2) 2x DVI-I on 5770 is now 1x DVI-I + 1 x DVI-D. The latter doesn't do analog/VGA.
Old June 2, 2011, 03:00 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
Ok I took a look at the manual (chapter 4 http://www.hisdigital.com/UserFiles/...0_6870_ENU.pdf) and with the 6000 series cards you can only use 1 of the 2 DVI slots at once. So you have 1 monitor through DVI port, 2nd through HDMI and for monitor 3 you need a active display port to dvi adapter. NCIX or similar sells em.
Currently, the two working monitors are connected via passive displayport adapter and DVI-I adapter.

On the 5770 I had 3 monitors going - 2 x DVI and 1x displayport adapters. No probs.
Old June 2, 2011, 03:04 PM

That's because they were dvi-i, now you only have 1 dvi-i so you need hdmi to vga, like so HDMI to VGA HD15 (Male) Cable: Amazon.ca: Electronics
Old June 2, 2011, 03:07 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Exactly why the second one isnt working for you, it cant be converted to VGA. You can get a hdmi to vga adapter so you need that + active display port to dvi and you are good.
The screen I am looking at right now is getting its signal via a passive dp adapter. Can't I do the third monitor via dp?

I was really hoping to plug all three into the card as I had the 5770. bummer.
There are tons of DVI-D -> VGA adapters around...I guess they don't work?

HDMI does analog?
Old June 2, 2011, 03:09 PM

Well in theory it shouldnt bc hdmi is dvi-d + audio but there are load of adapters so maybe it does? Not 100% sure on that one, never tried it. Probably better bet to try another dp first.
Old June 2, 2011, 03:19 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Well in theory it shouldnt bc hdmi is dvi-d + audio but there are load of adapters so maybe it does? Not 100% sure on that one, never tried it. Probably better bet to try another dp first.
This is so confusing. Passive dp works for me (but shouldn't) and HDMI - VGA adapters are for sale, but shouldn't work. Also DVI-D - VGA adapters are abundant and cheap (but fundamentally shouldn't work?)

Are all of these scams? :
dvi-d vga | eBay

jeez - In order to do eyefinity with this card, you need mDP, HDMI, and one of dvi-i or dvi-d. That is nuts - especially when no adapters are included...except for mDP -> DP. If every permutation of adapter were included, there would be no room in the box for the card!
Old June 2, 2011, 03:26 PM

Yeah man I dunno. DVI-D to VGA and HDMI to VGA adapters exist and are cheap but I have no idea if they will work. I thought you needed some kind of converter to convert the signal bc of copy protection and such. So I guess you either grab one of those and try it or get a second dp adapter.
Old June 2, 2011, 03:40 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The eyefinity connectivity thing is FUBAR.

Here are *some* examples. I'd love to see the table with ALL examples.
According to this, I can't run 3 VGA monitors from my card. WTF
AND this says that you CAN run both DVI ports at once. Which is it?