Default Recommendations for new card

Thinking of buying a new video card for my system

Here are my system specs:
AMD Athlon IIX4 630 Processor 2.8 GHz
AMD Radeon 4850 1 GB
4GB Gskill Ripjaw ram
Asus M4A87TD EVO mb

This was my first build, nothing special
I know enough about building to get by but would like a recommendation on what new card I should purchase.
Old May 30, 2011, 03:33 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

well we'd have to know what your spending limits are and go from there
Old May 31, 2011, 01:45 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

what games do you play and what resolution to your play at?
Old May 31, 2011, 07:04 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What power supply do you have OP?

-Plato
Old May 31, 2011, 08:01 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

Your best bet imho would b 2 spend the most u can afford/wish 2 spend on your gpu. Next 2 psu and cpu,

the gpu can make the biggest difference for gaming performance. There are other factors as well, and I'm sure

2 hear about it, but in my limited experience, the best core components 4 your pc depends on what u use it 4.
Old June 4, 2011, 05:54 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
Your best bet imho would b 2 spend the most u can afford/wish 2 spend on your gpu. Next 2 psu and cpu,

the gpu can make the biggest difference for gaming performance. There are other factors as well, and I'm sure

2 hear about it, but in my limited experience, the best core components 4 your pc depends on what u use it 4.
Forgetting about the vital importance of RAM there buddy
Old June 4, 2011, 09:07 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

No, I didn't mention it, but didn't want 2 list everything. Newer systems aren't affected as much by ram as

b4.

When I had a Q9550 system, the ram was always maxed out at 8gigs. It made a huge difference, unlike

having 6 or 12gbs of tri channel. My 3DMark score is actually better with only 6gigs on my i7 system, and

hadn't noticed any real performance difference. If video encoding and such, it would b more noticeable.

Anyway, the point I'm making is 2 spend what you're comfortable with 4 your gpu. The more gaming u do,

the better your playing experience will b with a higher priced card such as the 580 over say a 460, which is

still a very good card by itself. In some reviews, 2 580s beat both flagship cards most of the time.

Check out this review:
AMD Radeon HD 6990 4GB Review

Perhaps some of the experts like SKY who does a lot of gpu reviews could help steer u in the right

direction.

Hope that helps. Look 4 reviews of any card ur considering as well 4 more input, and good luck!
Old June 4, 2011, 08:26 PM
Rookie

6850/560 are around what you should aim for if your just looking for decent performance-cost ratio and are limited with psu.
Old June 4, 2011, 10:26 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
No, I didn't mention it, but didn't want 2 list everything. Newer systems aren't affected as much by ram as

b4.

When I had a Q9550 system, the ram was always maxed out at 8gigs. It made a huge difference, unlike

having 6 or 12gbs of tri channel. My 3DMark score is actually better with only 6gigs on my i7 system, and

hadn't noticed any real performance difference. If video encoding and such, it would b more noticeable.
Haha its not so much capacity that is relevant as the clock speed and timings. Capactiy only comes into the equation when you have applications that utilise ram but generally, the typical computer user will be satisfied with ~6gb of ram, even if they had 12gb the performance difference would be imperceptable.

Timings and clocks on the other hand are intrinsically linked with CPU performance and have a perceptible performance gain in all modes of computer operation.
From what you've said, your upgrade from the Q9550 to the i7 was presumably from DDR2 to DDR3 (assuming this since socket 775 boards predominately featured DDR2 RAM, although feel free to correct me if you had one of the few that used DDR3), so you would expect a performance gain from the superior DDR3 clock speeds despite a reduction in capacity.
Old June 5, 2011, 05:51 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

Yeah I actually had the P5E3 Deluxe mobo which used DDR3. Very fast setup. The 9550 with if I remember

correctly had 12mb of cache which helped with performance & speed, vs the Q9300 @ 2.5/core.

I must admit that I haven't tried the 1155/1156 setups which still uses dual channel. Not certain about

how much difference more ram makes.

Hopefully, someone who has this setup could let us know.

If u can justify spending the money, get 1 card now, suffer briefly,() and then get the 2nd.

If budget is too restrictive or expense not practical, look in the BST 4 a great deal. A good mobo can b found.

Again, good luck and plz let us know what u decide.

Twin 560s or 570s would also b a great setup.

Edit: As 4 timings and such, the 775 system was built while waiting 4 new DDR3 when they were 1st

introduced.

I actually had my system built except 4 the ram and had been waiting for approx. 1 1/2 months from CC.

Actually made my 1st purchase with NCIX buying the ram which I ordered on Tues and received on Thurs.

My i7 system uses Mushkin 1866, both in 6gb and 12gb setup.

Last edited by fishingfanatic; June 5, 2011 at 06:30 AM.