Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 30, 2011, 02:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryC View Post
Good review. I actually like the looks of this beast, those fans are way cool.
I think they're a marketing gimmick, honestly. You'll never see them in most ATX tower builds, unless you keep your computer above your head, as the fans are on the bottom side of the cards. I wouldn't pay extra for them.

That being said, I think MSI makes the best factory overclocked cards out there.
Old May 30, 2011, 03:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I think they're a marketing gimmick, honestly. ........That being said, I think MSI makes the best factory overclocked cards out there.
+1 MSI make real good stuff but for me the gimmick is the fan that pull the air on starting and after push it, so it push the dust at the bottom of the case, for after re suck it
Old May 30, 2011, 05:25 PM
Trial Member

I just got my EVGA GTX580 3GB the other day. Tested it in GTA IV using ENB mod, which is extremely intensive due to supersampling (1920x1200 becomes 3840 x 2400).

Using a stock 5870 1GB, GTA IV ENB stuttered like crazy because I was way overlimit on my VRAM usage. The modded game uses a minimum of 1500mb of VRAM and can go up a bit beyond 2000mb.

With the GTX 580GB, I can max out all settings that would be memory intensive (IE: view distance) and never go lower than 20 fps, which is a massive gain over the 10 fps I had with the 5870.

Is 3GB worth it? I guess it certainly is if you run games with high texture or if you want to max out AA. You have to monitor how VRAM usage of your games to really know.
Old May 30, 2011, 08:14 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

Great review as always SKY!!!

Great card by itself, I'm curious with the possible results in sli now, ^$&^%& it!!! Fighting the urge 2 find out,

Just starting 2 enjoy the performance of the 580 over the 480. If I upgrade anything it'll definitely b 1 of

these new non reference offerings. Curious 2 see what EVGA and Asus will come up with. The 595 is simply 2

much $ for most people, including me. Have 2 wonder if it'd even b worth it, both cost and performance wise.

Carry on with those great reviews SKY!!!
Old May 31, 2011, 05:36 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by christpunchers View Post
I just got my EVGA GTX580 3GB the other day. Tested it in GTA IV using ENB mod, which is extremely intensive due to supersampling (1920x1200 becomes 3840 x 2400).

Using a stock 5870 1GB, GTA IV ENB stuttered like crazy because I was way overlimit on my VRAM usage. The modded game uses a minimum of 1500mb of VRAM and can go up a bit beyond 2000mb.

With the GTX 580GB, I can max out all settings that would be memory intensive (IE: view distance) and never go lower than 20 fps, which is a massive gain over the 10 fps I had with the 5870.

Is 3GB worth it? I guess it certainly is if you run games with high texture or if you want to max out AA. You have to monitor how VRAM usage of your games to really know.
Metinks you're seeing the effect of a card that's almost twice as powerful as a HD 5870 rather than the benefits of a 3GB framebuffer...
Old May 31, 2011, 01:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Metinks you're seeing the effect of a card that's almost twice as powerful as a HD 5870 rather than the benefits of a 3GB framebuffer...
GTA IV is actually a really good example of where these cards shine. Even 6970 CFX experienced giant drops in FPS and stuttering when I tried to increase draw distance/detail in Eyefinity (5760x1080). With the two 580 3GB cards I just got I get no stuttering at all with every setting in the game maxed out! The game looks amazing with max draw distance and it's nice that moving the camera around too fast doesn't drop my FPS into the single digits.

These cards are meant for surround gaming. Even my relatively small (as surround goes) 5760x1080 resolution is pushing 2.125 million more pixels than a 30" 2560x1600 monitor. I understand if you didn't have two of these on hand for testing purposes, but not including surround resolutions pretty much changes the point of the review to why users don't need this card rather than showcasing where it excels. It's an enthusiast card and should accordingly have an enthusiast-aimed review. .02
Old May 31, 2011, 01:33 PM

I'm working on getting a pair of the EVGA 3GB cards for what you would call a "proper" review. Stay tuned.
Old May 31, 2011, 03:11 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Hey SKY, you gonna sell this one like you have with other review items?
If so, I may want first dibs.
Old May 31, 2011, 04:35 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarJ View Post
I think they're a marketing gimmick, honestly. You'll never see them in most ATX tower builds, unless you keep your computer above your head, as the fans are on the bottom side of the cards. I wouldn't pay extra for them.
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. It's like that old saying: if fans change colour in a case, and no one is there to see it, does it look cool?
Old May 31, 2011, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eluder View Post
Hey SKY, you gonna sell this one like you have with other review items?
If so, I may want first dibs.
If anyone wants it, I am a PM away.