Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 17, 2011, 10:19 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hfxmike View Post
Can you explain why every other 6870 GPU-Z screenshot shows 1120 shaders?
I'm wondering the same thing. AS GPU-Z clearly shows 960 SHADERS in the OP post, so it's bs that you wouldn't see the full 1120 shaders, especially when EVERY single site that review a 6870 had them show up in gpu-z. Starting to really wonder about you Diamondtech. Not really sure where you got running the ram at 1120 from either being as it wasn't mentioned anywhere.

However I've recently read some posts on a few different forums with people having similar problems as a result of the motherboard. Sometimes a bios update on the motherboard fixes the issue and sometimes it's a bad motherboard. If you can't find a bios update for your board I'd try it in a friends machine if you can and run gpu-z on it.
Old July 4, 2011, 12:21 PM
Rookie

Default diamond hd 6870

Hey just got the same video card today and was curious.
It seems bestbuy is the only store selling these cards. I think its very ugly and would have prefered the box design since it pushed all the hot air out the back through the vent.
Btw did it come with a sticker/shield.
My card reached 100 celcius on load :O. Might replace thermal paste in hope
Old July 4, 2011, 12:31 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

100 deg??? return that sucker!
I went with another brand because of the shader count confusion and because the Diamond's support does _suck_.
They tell me that something will not work (3xVGAs). I ignore that, it *does* work and then they want to know how. haha. Told them to send me a free card for the obvious solution. Or hire me as an engineer.

sticker/shield?
Old July 4, 2011, 02:09 PM
Rookie

well like I said, it was free. I'm disappointed with the performance of the card. And I'm glad I didn't pay for it.
You know those little gay stickers to show off on the case of the PC lol
The worst thing about this is bestbuy.ca haves them listed for 300 XP

I'm not going to buy another card hopefully some articmx-2 helps
Old July 4, 2011, 02:13 PM
Banned
F@H

the crappier heat sink and fan,with or without a thermal paste hand jobbe, will always be inferior

to the amd stock design. avoid them if you can.
Old July 4, 2011, 02:19 PM
Rookie

My shader is showing up as 960 as well such bullshit. If I get another one today ima risk flashing it to another BIOS may by something will happen. dondondon
Old July 4, 2011, 02:21 PM
Rookie

As you can see

Old July 4, 2011, 02:34 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by geant90 View Post
well like I said, it was free. I'm disappointed with the performance of the card. And I'm glad I didn't pay for it.
Where did you say it was free? How did that happen? Hard to beat your price/performance ratio. Sell it as a 6850 and get something else. Is it under warranty? Good luck dealing with DiamondMM's blech support.

Here's the GPU-Z for my PowerColor 6870

Old July 4, 2011, 02:51 PM
Rookie

well I'm not even going to bother giving them a call. Searching around I discovered this version of the 6870 can be avoided simply by not buying the card packaged within the box pictured earlier. This box dosent even state its a diamond card. I found out when opening it and seeing that junk inside and there logo in the card. You have to avoid the box showing off eyeinfinity(three screens) and get the full battlefield front picture with there diamond logo on the top left.

Diamond Radeon 6870 1024MB DDR5 PCI-E Video Card : Video Cards - Best Buy Canada

Thats the best buy link to the one you want.
I'd rather just avoid diamond and get from another brand. I guess they knew not to be proud of this card as they didn't advertise there logo/brand knowing customers would overlook it?

Hopefully I can find a BIOS of that version and give it a try if I get qnotherone to throw in the garbage.
I did'nt even pay and I'm so disappointed as I thought I got a decent gaminf card for my girl friends pc I just built.

It does have warrenty but I dont even want to waste my time with it.

Its a shame these bums hid behind AMDs name
Old July 4, 2011, 05:01 PM
Rookie

Success . . . . So far.
So i flashed the diamond 6870 with another diamond 6870 and now gpu-z looks as so:

Time to stress test via furmark for an hour.

Only Thing Im worried about is heat!