Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 25, 2011, 09:49 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default GTX580 temps?

Just recently checked the temps of my 580 and didn't liked what I've seen (87-89 under load).
So thinking that some fresh thermal paste can help, I used the Arctic Cooling MX2 and...
It got worse - the temps sometimes touching 90C, and the fan spins at higher levels than before :/
any clues?
Old May 25, 2011, 10:12 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Smile Video Cards

I think more info is needed. What case? Watercooling anything? Fans? Ocing going on?

It does seem a bit high 4 a 580 but not 2 excessive as it's under load.

Perhaps the air flow is restricted 4 good case cooling. To drop the temps on my old case I simply replaced

the stock fans with higher cfm fans and it resulted in approx. 6c drop.

If the gpu's air flow dumps heat into the case interior that'll help. Adding a fan behind the gpu helps. I

removed 2 expansion slot blades and covered the opening with nylon pieces to prevent anything from

entering, especially pet hair as we have 2 dogs and this dropped the temps all around a fair bit as well.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
Old May 25, 2011, 10:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Also depends on your fan speed as well, if you leave it on auto that wouldnt be surprising it running hot
Old May 25, 2011, 10:37 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Clocks are stock, and the card is in the same case (TT element G with stock fans) since I've bought it at November (a day after launch ;)
At the beginning it never raised over 80c, but as time passed in ran hotter (maybe going from 1080p to 2560x1440 contributed?), and changing the thermal compound just made it worse which seems to be really strange...
Fan is and always was on auto.
Old May 25, 2011, 10:44 AM
F@H

My System Specs

That's your first problem, auto fan speeds typically blow. You should try manually setting it, also you may have accumulated some dust build up over time. Take some compressed air and blow off any dust you may or may not see when its off, hell do it for the entire computer, you'll be surprised how much will be there and temps should be lower as a whole
Old May 25, 2011, 12:27 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

About the fan speed - you're right, I should try setting a custom profile with MSI afterburner maybe.
Cleaning the computer - this is obviously performed every couple of months, and when I've disassembled the card (to change the thermal compound) I've cleaned it till everything shined, even the fan which was pretty damn stubborn to let go of it's dust ;)
Old May 25, 2011, 12:32 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

@ fishingfanatic thanks for the simply right idea of adding a fan INSIDE of the case! I'm sure putting one between the HD's and the GPU will help both of them and will generally assist the airflow inside the case :)
Old May 25, 2011, 12:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishingfanatic View Post
I think more info is needed. What case? Watercooling anything? Fans? Ocing going on?

It does seem a bit high 4 a 580 but not 2 excessive as it's under load.

Perhaps the air flow is restricted 4 good case cooling. To drop the temps on my old case I simply replaced

the stock fans with higher cfm fans and it resulted in approx. 6c drop.

If the gpu's air flow dumps heat into the case interior that'll help. Adding a fan behind the gpu helps. I

removed 2 expansion slot blades and covered the opening with nylon pieces to prevent anything from

entering, especially pet hair as we have 2 dogs and this dropped the temps all around a fair bit as well.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
My brain just exploded.
My Disclaimer to any advice or comment I make;
Quote:
Originally Posted by CroSsFiRe2009 View Post
I'm a self certified whizbang repair technician with 20 years of professional bullshit so I don't know what I'm talking about