Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2008, 09:11 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SNG]McBain View Post
I received my replacement card, and have been testing it for a week. Everything is working great .... no crashes on any games. It seems I had simply received a bad card the first time.

Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions.

Great to hear!!!!

I'm one of those folks who rarely relies on RMAs and normally just writes off the manufacturer for future purchases. Going to have to revisit that plan..... :)

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 19, 2008, 01:11 PM
Rookie

.....Well, the story didn't quite end with my replacement card...... which is still running flawlessly - no problems.

NCIX claim there is nothing wrong with the one I sent back, so they charged me a re-stocking fee and put it back on their shelf.

I posted my story on an NCIX forum about this card:
Quote:
I purchased one of these cards from NCIX and had a problem with the card randomly crashing. I spent a lot of time with it trying to figure out why, as you can read on this forum: Hardware Canucks

I sent it back under RMA, and got a new one .... the new one works great.

NCIX claimed they tested the card I sent back and found nothing wrong with it. I'm attaching all the correspondence related to this matter below:

Quote:
Dated Mar 04, 2008 at 03:30 PM composed by Ncix Support

Hi P***,
We have just finished testing your video card and we have had no issues. The card past 10 times 3Dmark06 testing, total spent 3 hours no issue. If you would like to continue with the refund we will have to charge you a 15% restocking fee. Please email back with what you would like to do with this RMA.
Thanks,
I phoned them right away and asked them to re-test it with a game. I tried 3Dmark06 too and it passed. I suggested the test should be a game - something that will really test the Vid card's memory. He said they would re-test.

They replied:
Quote:
Dated Mar 10, 2008 at 12:25 PM composed by Ncix Support

hi P***,
We have just finished testing your video card and we have had no issues.The video card past 3 hours the Crysis testing, no shutdown,no freezing issue. If you would like to continue with the refund we will have to charge you a 15% restocking fee. Please email back with what you would like to do with this RMA.
Thanks,
RMA Department
I replied:
Quote:
Dated Mar 11, 2008 at 04:45 AM composed by you

I'm not sure why this video card seems to be behaving properly for you when I ran it in two different systems with the same result. I used it / "tested it" over a two week period and it would crash during gameplay every time. I appreciate you performing the extra test using Crysis, but did you, or someone, actually play Crysis with it? Or was it simply running the Crysis benchmark tool in a loop? I know it sounds strange, but this card will pass Benchmarking utilities .... but when it's running a game (something that really taxes the card's memory), it will crash.
I ran this card in a brand new system, and this card was also tested by another NCIX customer,"A***" - whom you may contact to verify this if you wish at .... xxxxx@hotmail.com
Both myself and A*** tested with 3dmark06, and A*** also used the Crysis benchmark .... all with positive results. But when this card was used in-game, both myself and A*** experienced crashes.
Games that crashed for A***:
"The Witcher"
"COD4"
"Crysis"
Games that crashed for me:
"Guild Wars"
"HL2"
"ET:QW"
"Portal"
I am not convinced that this card is fully functional, especially since I received and installed the replacement (which is identical), and it has worked perfectly - (without changing anything else on my system). I strongly recommend that you do NOT return this card to your inventory and re-sell it, as your next customer will have the same issues. I also ask that you continue with my refund, but please DO NOT charge me the 15% restocking fee. I would not have couriered the card back to you at my own expense, and gone through any of this hassle if I truly didn't believe the card was defective.
Please contact me at anytime if you have any further questions. My cell phone # is (xxx) xxx xxxx.
Regards,
P***
They replied almost immediately:
Quote:
Dated Mar 11, 2008 at 10:57 AM reply from Ncix Support

Hi P***,
We all ran through Crysis for 30 min to 1 hour testing the card here for that 3 hours and we all expirenced no issues with it. Currently as this card stands it is functioning card and has to be returned to our inventory and we have to charge you a 15% restocking fee on it.
========================
Thanks,
RMA Department
So in the end I paid $30 to send back a defective card plus $46 for them to put it back on the shelf. I told them I would never do business with the again, and I won't.

If you are considering buying this card, PLEASE BE WARNED that you may be buying the card I had. If so, it WILL FAIL and you will have to send it back.

Thanks for reading.

By the way, I have no complaints with HIS .... they built a fantastic card. My replacement card is awesome and I would recommend this card to anyone .... I would also recommend buying it somewhere else.