Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2008, 09:45 AM
Allstar

memtest and prime stable for how long?

i would do memtest for 8-12hrs

then dual prime for 8-12 hrs

1 or 2 hours of each isnt enough

also could try some 3dmark in loop .....

beleive me i already had a rig that was stable with memtest/prime/occt/F@H for 12 hour but every dman 3d programme would make it crash, but a bit more volt on the cpu and it never crash again

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old February 1, 2008, 04:57 PM
Rookie

i had the 3850 HIS and i was having probs with it to crashing in games what i found it was was the clock speed on my PCIe i had to allmost under clock it to get it to run nice... some conflict with the bios....dono if it will help, hope you get it running nicely
4gbs ddr2 ram
2x wd rapter RAID =150RAID
500gb sata2
Foxconn MARS board
Ati 3870x2 1gb"in the mail"

Old February 1, 2008, 06:17 PM
Rookie
F@H

I have swapped cards with McBain and now have the card running in my system which has run very stable previously with the specs in my sig, I have run the Fur Rendering Benchmark to do a stress test and all seemed fine the temps averaged 68-71 deg so I proceeded to play some Witcher and low and behold after aprox an hour playing the system locked up, I had been using RivaTuner to monitor the temps on screen while playing and the max temp was 71, is this temp to high or could it possibly be time to RMA this card as it is only a week old?

Old February 1, 2008, 07:17 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

those temps aren't bad at all really. So I have to wonder why the card would crash. You did a complete uninstall of any Nvidia drivers and ATI drivers before installing the new card and then installed the latest versions from the AMD website right? If so... I'd be thinking RMA
Old February 1, 2008, 08:20 PM
Rookie
F@H

Yeah complete uninstall of Nv drivers using DC Pro in safe mode including cleaning the cab files, and have actualy uninstalled the 3850 and removed all drivers again just to be sure, I was thinking of underclocking the card to see if that made a diff but then again the card should run fine at factory OC'd settings.. I am also going to try running my pc at normal speeds since right now I have my Opty @ 2.6, maybe the high FSB is messing with it. I just really want to make sure it is the card before I sugest to RMA.

Last edited by arbb5; February 1, 2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old February 2, 2008, 06:56 AM
Top Prospect

I own a HIS 3850 Ic3Q Turbo (not X) and the only time it locks while gaming is if the clock is higher than 760Mhz and memory Higher than 1060Mhz. I always run my card at 760Mhz and 1060Mhz, and it is verry stable. I have the latest drivers from ATI. I admit that my card has one problem, wich is why I am reply to this post, as I think HIS is lowering the quality of there products. My Tv output is not working. My card does not detect any thing plugued on this output, when forcing detection I get a black and white image. This sucks, but the HDMI works fine, so did not RMA the card. I feel that HIS has pour quality conrol! I hope you manage to get your card working, but It is not acceptable when the end user has to work around problems to get his new product to work correctly at stock settings. Maybe we should, somehow, alert HIS that they have multiple unsatified customers.

Para_Franck
Old February 2, 2008, 07:19 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Para, the TV needs to be plugged and on before turning on the PC I think? Just checking.
What I think is happening, is that some companies are actively binning this chip to heck and gone to release different clock speeds and versions. Still, depending on the card design I'm surprised the HIS cards aren't doing better.
Old February 2, 2008, 09:29 AM
Top Prospect

For my tv connector, I have done al ot of testing. I found that with a S-VHS cable, with forced TV detection, I get a colour image, but not in high defenition, and I do not have acces to dual monitor. I have tryed an adaptor to plug with composite cables, that is where I get a black and white image, further testing prooved that only the blue connector was cariying a signal, un-pluging the red and/or green connectors had no effects at all. My old 8600gt worked flawlessly with this adaptor and TV setup. I was surprised that an ATI based product would not give me a plug and play solution, as I always believed ATI where best for multimedia applications. This forced me to buy an HDMI cable, wich works with no problems. Still this situation is a pain and I have not managed to get the TV output to work properly. I am convinced that it is a hardware problem. Other than that, I love my 3850!!

P.S. My tv is always on when I turn on my computer, since it is my monitor. I immidiatly suspected a problem when I first turned the computer on, because I had no images on my tv during boot sequence. I had to borrow a computer monitor to get to the catalyst control center and force the tv detection manually. other wise i would have no images at all. I contacted HIS wich told me to contact my seller for RMA policies. I admit that I would have preferred service direct from HIS. Maybe they could have sent a new card with a box with prepaid postage back to them for the bad card (Dell offers this service). So I kept the card, not wanting to pay shipping fees for the RMA and not having the possibilitie to have no acces to my computer for 1 to 2 weeks (time to get another video card) (I am an engeneering student and I need my computer to do my homework) So here I am with a full priced card that DOES NOT work perfectly.

Para_franck
Old February 4, 2008, 05:29 PM
Rookie

I have an RMA on my card .... new one on the way. Hopefully the issue is with this particular card. Because of the results from arrb5's testing, I believe this card is faulty. I ran his card in my system for the weekend, and there were no crashes.

I'll post again when I get my new card - hopefully it'll be a happy post.

Thanks again, arrb5!
Old February 25, 2008, 05:41 AM
Rookie

I received my replacement card, and have been testing it for a week. Everything is working great .... no crashes on any games. It seems I had simply received a bad card the first time.

Thanks to everyone who replied with suggestions.