Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10, 2011, 09:11 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Known SLI Issues

Dear HWC Residents,

I currently have in my setup 1 GTX 460 1GB attached to a GIGABYTE 790FXT-UD5P and unlocked/overclocked 720BE to 3.4Ghz. I am planning on adding another GTX 460 to the mix, is this wise? Will my processor bottleneck the performance?
Also is there any outstanding SLI problems with SLI'ed GTX 460 in games and/or applications?

Your opinions are very much appreciated.

Cheers.
Old May 10, 2011, 09:18 PM
Banned
F@H

if thge application has a decent profile for multi cards, why not.
minimum frames will deep below what you would see with a single higher end card,sometimes, max and the resulting median should be
fine though
your cpu should be good ,of course a sandy bridge will perform better,but hey.
your psu will be ok too.
although id not sli perhaps and get a higher end card. try to score a used 580
Old May 11, 2011, 06:59 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
if thge application has a decent profile for multi cards, why not.
minimum frames will deep below what you would see with a single higher end card,sometimes, max and the resulting median should be
fine though
your cpu should be good ,of course a sandy bridge will perform better,but hey.
your psu will be ok too.
although id not sli perhaps and get a higher end card. try to score a used 580
I've actually got a 580 and a pair of 460's. Both running on 24" monitors and honestly the 460's are just enough ahead to notice. Considering the price difference, I'd stay with the 460's in this case.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old May 11, 2011, 02:56 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I have sli 460 and it running pretty nice, the only game i got that is not using it is shift 2 out of 40
Old May 11, 2011, 04:16 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

im surprised no one has said this yet, bbuutt amd boards dont natively support sli. youd have to do a board/bios hack to get sli to work, its not that hard its just problems can be pretty bad.
Old May 11, 2011, 05:10 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

The only issue I see is your AMD board.

Anyways, how much performance are you looking for?
Old May 11, 2011, 06:12 PM
Banned
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman95 View Post
im surprised no one has said this yet, bbuutt amd boards dont natively support sli. youd have to do a board/bios hack to get sli to work, its not that hard its just problems can be pretty bad.

nope,software.2 clicketieths of deh mouseth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ILVgeARX View Post
The only issue I see is your AMD board.

Anyways, how much performance are you looking for?

read above :D
Old May 11, 2011, 06:29 PM
MVP

My System Specs

As mentioned before, you'll need to download a certain program to enable SLI on your AMD board. I used it with my 790FX board and it was problem free. It is simple procedure to go through with, but you are tinkering with your system, so always assume the worst and make appropriate backups.

Here's a good thread to read: Sli For The Non Believer [Guide How To Eenable SLI On Non SLI Cert Mobo]

It also may answer a question or two about potential bottlenecks. My 470's were bottlenecked by my Phenom 955 @ 3.7Ghz; not terribly, but still by a worthwhile margin. Some food for thought, even if the 460's would be a bit less powerful.
Old May 11, 2011, 08:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Oh, didn't know sli on amd are ez sneazy now.

Your system won't be a problem.

Keep your CPU speed over 3.4ghz and you won't have a problem. Try 2400-2600 for NB and tighten those timings.
Old May 11, 2011, 08:32 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

First I want to thank you to _dangtx_, soultribunal, ryoohki, techman95, 5ILVgeARX, DokkRokken for your inputs.
Yes I am aware that my mobo does not support SLI, and I am also aware of the SLIhack. It was my intention from the start to use the SLIhack. I am concerned firstly with the compability of SLI with older and current games, reading your comments I guess it is not a problem. My second concern is regard to CPU bottleneck, and this is very much confirmed. Even reaching 3.4Ghz is not easy with my chip. But, that problem is for another section of this forum.

Thank You all who have helped.

Cheers.