Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 31, 2008, 05:11 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo View Post
and this dus not happen offin so i thout maybe it was a good one
and now every one will laugh at me but i am considering rigging a miny bar and build my pc in there ...

any one got any ideas?
While I am not an expert at this, from what I know of my own bar fridge it produces quite a bit of condensation. Condensation = dead components.
Old January 31, 2008, 08:19 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

However....if you can somehow figure it out to have crazy airflow over your board that will take away the condensation....it should work.....otherwise like SKYMTL says.....bye bye mobo!

How did you get your CPU to 5 GHz btw???
Old January 31, 2008, 08:24 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

The thermal load from a PC FAR FAR FAR exceeds the ability of the compressor on a mini bar to remove that heat. Putting a PC in a mini bar fridge will simply bake the PC and destroy the mini bar fridge to boot.
Old January 31, 2008, 08:50 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

I think he was talking about using the mini fridge as a "case" where the compressor would cool down the air around the components.
Old January 31, 2008, 09:47 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly n Grey View Post
The thermal load from a PC FAR FAR FAR exceeds the ability of the compressor on a mini bar to remove that heat. Putting a PC in a mini bar fridge will simply bake the PC and destroy the mini bar fridge to boot.
already saw someone on another forum to try that with the bug huge freezer . the freezer died on him within 2 weeks. i would assume that a bar frig wouldn't last 1 week

DFI LP nF4 Ultra-D / AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7Ghz/ 2*1GB OCZ Gold GX XTC / Sapphire X1950XT / Fortron 450W PSU / 2*Maxtor 80Gb

Old January 31, 2008, 11:05 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

I do not know if you guys saw that edition in Maximum PC,The Greatest 100 Innovations of all time.
Well in the back of that one page 144. Some one used a wine cooler fridge and he got it to run and no dead mobo. It has pics of this unit, and he explains some what on how he did it.
I do not think I would want to build a pc in a fridge myself, but you never know.
Old January 31, 2008, 11:34 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I'm sure you could use it for a case mod type thing.

But the actual mechanicals of the compressor and it's ability to remove heat preclude it from ever cooling a computer for very long. Even submersion technologies with greater heat transfer and so on exceed standard compressors that are gassed for home use. Anyhow, I've benched outside at minus 40 and will be doing so again as soon as the weather gets cold for the cheap chips challenge at XS. Basically, you get no condensation in an environment like that until WARM air hits the cold board. Think about it, walk outside with a hot cofee cup in sub zero temps... ever see condensation on it? nope. Now let that empty cup freeze and then walk inside with it and watch it hit the warm air.... zoinks!

basically a hot item in cold air is no condensation... a cold item in warm air is where it gets funky.... think about the frost on a phase change head or LN2 pot when it's inside.
Old January 31, 2008, 11:30 PM
Rookie

How did you get your CPU to 5 GHz btw???[/quote]

1st i got it there by working my ass of with my foxconn mobo...

ok man i love being greek.. see we can get any one to do anything but talking enough... so gess what i talked into my work shop....a old compreser for a mid size server =(size of a big frig) and also i know a guy who makes the housings for thes servers and he ouws me a faver...so i am gana make a server size case and stik this thing on it and then put in fans like normal case but it will have a cooling unit for a server 10x the size man i this is gana be fun and i gave it a teast run to see how loud it was and it was not quit but not that bad. but i think i wod go nuts if it was runnning even wen idling so i am gana see if i can rig it so that it will only turn on wen the system temp gos over something... but i dono if i am that good... but who knows...

and sky have you herd anything about after maket coolers for the 3870 x2 yet? cus the rest of my pc runs at a idle of mad 30c and now my gpu will be runing at 50...it dus not meen much but then i cant brag about how cool my pc runs...

ps any one play crysis mp here?

i just got another idea... i will get a walk in frezer like at the meat factorys and then put my pc desk averything inside and then wan i want to use it walk in...

o but i fall aslep on my key bord alot ..shit i will be frosen soled...hmm not cool

4gbs ddr2 ram
2x wd rapter RAID =150RAID
500gb sata2
Foxconn MARS board
Ati 3870x2 1gb"in the mail"

Old February 1, 2008, 06:26 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Freezers use smaller compressors than fridges since they are not normally designed to be open and closed all day. If you want a phase unit for chilling liquid or air, you need to get one built that can handle the load. Nothing stock will do it. Anyhow, Have fun with the project !
Old February 1, 2008, 10:08 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

There was a guy in Maximum PC that converted a wine cooler into a PC case.

Next Build: E5200 @ 3.6GHz (333x11) | Xigmatek HDT-RS1283 HSF | Biostar TP43D2-A7 | Mushkin Redlines DDR2-1000 @ DDR2-999 5-5-5-12
EVGA 9600 GT 512MB - 650MHz - 1800MHz - 1626MHz | Seagate 'Cuda 250GB 7200rpm SATA2 | Corsair VX550 | CM690 - Custom Atomic Orange Pearl

[Heatware]
[eBay]
[Rosetta]
BALISTX.com