Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 28, 2008, 06:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

CoolIT is claiming some crazy clocks with the X2:

CoolIT Systems - CoolIT Systems liquid cooling for HD3870 X2

I have some faith in them too since I just finished reviewing the Freezone Elite and I am doing a few more of their products.

I also like hardocp. They don't throw BS around like the monkeys on toms.
Old January 29, 2008, 07:45 AM
MVP

Great 3870 X2 review!

Have to admit the HC's reviews are overall better thought out and executed than the vast majority of sites out there.
Old January 29, 2008, 07:54 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
If this thread degenerates to a thread discussing the validity other websites' results I will lock it down before anyone can blink. Everyone has their own opinions about how the benchmarks should be run but in the end, you should NEVER only read one site. That is why it is good to have different ways of benching...no matter how much you agree or disagree with them.
I understand your point here SKYMTL, but I think the discussion over the validity of review methods does affect the discussion of the review of the card.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, but when you see such a difference in the results of reviews from site to site, it's only logical that you would look at the review methods.

If that requires another thread, so be it, but I think it's pertinent to this discussion.

If your review has these results, which we are discussing here, why are they so different from Site X's results?

Then we look at why.

It's more pertinent than a thread full of one-liners saying "Great review, HC is the best!"

(Which I agree with BTW, it was a great review, but a thread full of that isn't exactly interesting.)

Saying "Site X has a better/worse methodology" is probably not necessary, but saying what the methodology is and the merits or shortcomings of that methodology brings context to the discussion of the review and the card itself.
Old January 29, 2008, 11:06 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Performance Per Watt and another good review

So far it seems like the 3870x2 is the PPW champ. It also looks to be the PP$ (performance per dollar) champ.

Considering that the 8800Ultra is a money and energy hog, and lacks the VPU acceleration capabilities for video (HD, BluRay) the 3870x2 is a winner in my mind.

DriverHeaven.net also has a pretty good review of the x2 and it seems they received similar performance and stability upgrades with the later drivers, so I think SKY probably is right on the money with his review.

In addition, they discuss the lower minimum framerate on the x2, which by the way is something I've seen on my crossfire set up whether or not I was using 2x3870s or (like Tom's review) a 512MB 3850 with the 3870. I can tell you it does work which is cool, but not as fast as 2x3870's (but not much slower).

I think for the price and flexibility, the x2 will be tough to beat for a while. I consider it now a very viable solution for those who don't want to pony up $600+ for the 8800 Ultra, and have nVidia or single PCI-E x16/GPU motherboards but want the ultimate in currently available visuals.

I have a feeling nVidia hit a home run with the 8800 series, and the follow up may not be as exciting when the 9xxx series debuts later this quarter. And I'm no ATI/AMD fanboy, as I still love my 8800GTS, but love my 3870s more.

Regards,

10e
Old January 29, 2008, 09:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

Very interesting review. Kudos for getting those new drivers benched, SKYMTL. And good to know the MCW-60's will fit. Just remains to been seen about the retail prices...

About the "overclocking"? I've been seeing threads saying that at least one of the cores is capped at 860-ish, just like the 3870 was? I know yours was an ES, but any thoughts on whether this is the same thing happening?
Old January 30, 2008, 08:58 AM
Top Prospect

Since we seem to be speculating on prices or I hadnt seen anything firm until this
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...facture=Others

note this is with system only, and they are usually a little cheaper that way. So 499.99? That doesnt make it so far off that 600 Dollar Ultra does it? And for the minor performance increase over a set of CF 3870's That I can get for 60 dollars cheaper. Doesnt make sense for me having a CF board, but its a good CF solution for the masses of single PCI-E/16 slot boards. Expensive though.
Old January 30, 2008, 09:35 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

Default Direct Canada also has it for less

They have it for $442.00 Canadian:

Diamond Viper Radeon HD 3870 X2 1GB 1.8GHZ GDDR3 2XDVI HDTV Out PCI-E DIRECTX10.1 Video Card - DirectCanada

I personally would wait for the Asus version. Custom dual-fan cooling solution and a 3 year warranty make for a compelling version. Right now I see it for around $500.00 CDN here locally in Toronto.

I also noticed both Sapphire and Diamond's web sites have the driver for the X2 on their sites. It says version 8.451 in the filenames/descriptions.

FYI

10e
Old January 30, 2008, 02:05 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10e View Post
I personally would wait for the Asus version. Custom dual-fan cooling solution and a 3 year warranty make for a compelling version. Right now I see it for around $500.00 CDN here locally in Toronto.
Make sure you buy four monitors to go with it!
Old January 30, 2008, 02:11 PM
Rookie

Is the dual fan a good idea though? I thought ppl didn't like having the heat exhausted inside your case?
Old January 31, 2008, 01:28 AM
Rookie

Question a COOL idea

now this is my 1st "gaming" computer i have made but i have built alot of proper servers for ppl...like the ones in refrigerated rooms...

so i read the reviews of the 3870 x2 and it sounded like it wood be fun to toy around with (btw grate review i have bin a long time fan of your reviews but i only figured out how to join now hehe) any way after working with prosesing servers that simulat insane physics i am use to 1.3ghz x100 prosesers and GPUs so i think i am gana over clock to hell hens why i got a foxconn board.

so as i was freezing my ass of one day working in the server room i got a idea.
and this dus not happen offin so i thout maybe it was a good one
and now every one will laugh at me but i am considering rigging a miny bar and build my pc in there ...

any one got any ideas?

note there is a random comment coming up next!:rtfm:

South African u21 ice hockey team FTW

don't look at me ...
4gbs ddr2 ram
2x wd rapter RAID =150RAID
500gb sata2
Foxconn MARS board
Ati 3870x2 1gb"in the mail"

Last edited by Diablo; January 31, 2008 at 01:40 AM.