Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27, 2008, 10:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Hmmm... interesting and thought-provoking.

I wouldn't be surprised if the retail cards overclock better, but I'll definitlely wait for some benchies before deciding.

This also presents an interesting conundrum for me.

My idea was to get one of these, step-up my EVGA 8800GTX (If the 9800GX2 comes out in time), sell the GX2 and get another of these to run in Crossfire on my Maximus Formula.

It did do better than the 8800 in a lot of those benchmarks. It will also be interesting to see how this does in Crossfire. I only have 3 weeks left on my step-up, and it looks like I might not make it!

Also, my poor 650w power supply probably won't be able to handle two of these bad boys.

Great review SKYMTL. Honest and good information. I wish you had COD4 for benchmarking

Thanks
Old January 27, 2008, 10:50 PM
Rookie
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyHood View Post
Well, there is CrossfireX. I would be interested to see if you could crossfire a HD3870 and HD3870 X2 for triple Crossfire!

I'm just wondering about it, since it is possible to crossfire a HD3870 and HD3850?
I am wondering this as well, but I am using maximus formula and I think it's not crossfire x, just normal crossfire. Hope it can be crossfire 3870 with 3870x2 then I am happy
Old January 27, 2008, 10:51 PM
Top Prospect

awesome review SKY (except for the typos)!!!

so glad to see that ATi has come out on top concerning the Crysis benchmarking! having the best performance there will be a major selling point.

I can only imagine how much fun you had with this card

seeing your follow up articles on cooling etc, should be interesting too. it will be fascinating to see what third party manufacturers come up with to help cool it!

kudos
Old January 27, 2008, 11:11 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Some weird sht is going on here. go over to Tom's hardware and AnAndTech. I also checked out HardOCP and ExtremeTech. its like you guys and the four of them got five different models of cards.

Your card is roughly on par with the GTX or a bit better (somewhat like Tom's) but Tom's claims a price point of $590 and COMPLETELY different results game to game. Also, Tom's claims the new drivers did nothing, while everyone else seems to think that they had a pretty serious effect.

HardOCP and ExtremeTech actually have it solidly losing to the GTX.

AnAndTech's results look like the second coming of christ in silicon form (it even runs neck and neck with 8800GTXs in SLI).

And EVERYONE gets better OC results than you do!

I understand that everyone uses a different test bed, etc., but this seems odd. If I were an optimistic person, I'd chalk it up to immature drivers that will only make the card better soon. If I was a pessimist, I'd guess that ATI has serious/ borderline fatal quality control problems. I can only hope the situation improves.

Well, great review anyways, and I'll probably buy one regardless, just to get some good canadian engineering for my PC. Thanks.
Old January 27, 2008, 11:16 PM
Top Prospect

Tom's had that review done for some time, so they do NOT have the latest and greatest drivers that SKYMTL used. like he said, they were issued just days before the review was set to be released, so he re-ran all his benchmarks and said there were some sizable and notable gains because of them.

while you didn't mention it, TweakTown also did a review showing the card to be a pit of under-performance. again...old drivers.

also note that the testbed SKYMTL has is pretty freakin awesome! 3.5ghz on a quad core? DDR3? the HDD is a bit old n pitiful, but it's doubtful that a newer and faster 500GB model from WD, Hitachi or Samsung would cause significant performance gains. (wonder when SKYMTL is gonna install a nice SSD)
Old January 28, 2008, 12:39 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micro View Post
I am wondering this as well, but I am using maximus formula and I think it's not crossfire x, just normal crossfire. Hope it can be crossfire 3870 with 3870x2 then I am happy
I believe CrossfireX is just the name for more than 2 GPU's being used. so A regular Crossfire mobo with 2 of these bad boys in it would qualify for CrossfireX!
HDD: 3*500GB + 500GB external
GPU: NVIDIA 8800GT
PSU:Corsair VX450W
Case: Corsair 800D
Old January 28, 2008, 03:06 AM
Trial Member

can you put one AC S1/S2 and one HR-03 on this card, will that fit?
Old January 28, 2008, 04:16 AM
Rookie

Great Review!!
Old January 28, 2008, 05:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

good review. Tomshardware says it beats the ultra.

Sponsor a child!
Fight poverty.

Qoute by Perineum
"ID10T. I just BETCHA he's got 9 toolbars on his web browser right now."
Old January 28, 2008, 06:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Great review SKYMTL! As always you went the extra mile to get those new driver benchmarks up for the review.

The only thing I don't agree with is your complaint about the 8 & 6 pin connector placement.....

It might not be pretty, but at least it doesn't add to the already massive length of the card. I seem to recall a few comments about power connector length being the deciding factor for a few folks when they were measuring out their case for longer vid cards.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP