Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2011, 09:37 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

What a beast, I'm really impressed by MSI custom graphic card lately. It doesn't cost much more than other 580s too.
Old May 2, 2011, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

"Headlining the list of accessories is a pair of very, very long SLI cables which can be used to link up to three of three GTX 580s together. There is also a pair of 6-pn to 8-pin PCI-E power adaptors and three pin-outs for the Lightning’s voltage read points."

"Speaking of the fans, the Twin Frozr III is equipped with two 92mm units for pushing cool air down onto the aluminum heatsink array and massive 8mm heatipies."

Just thought I'd point those out :)
Old May 3, 2011, 08:22 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
No idea but unless we have a fundamental architectural shift, I would think that any upcoming GPUs would still have issues with Metro 2033 with all details cranked + 4xAA on at 1920 x 1200 and above.
That is just slightly depressing. I'm not big on dual GPUs (due to cost) and I'm hoping that fall-released cards will be able to handle Battlefield 3 @ 19x12 with max settings, or pretty darn close to it.

I highly doubt my GTX 470 would be able to.
Old May 3, 2011, 10:42 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Really don't so the big deal with this particular Card....I've had 3 Evga GTX 580 SC Cards since thier release:
All cards easily OC'd to 940 Mhz Core / 2150 Memory....anymore required a Voltage bump from stock 1.08125v.....

As for thier cooling, excellent, lets pump all that heat right back into the Case...brutal if you ask me?!
My Evga 580's hit 72C Max playing Metro 33 and idle at 31C.......and the heat exhausts directly out the back of my chassis!!!....yeah I'm an Evga fanboy ;)

Old May 4, 2011, 04:41 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I'll take three.
I wish.
Old May 15, 2011, 11:18 AM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Really don't so the big deal with this particular Card....I've had 3 Evga GTX 580 SC Cards since thier release:
All cards easily OC'd to 940 Mhz Core / 2150 Memory....anymore required a Voltage bump from stock 1.08125v.....

As for thier cooling, excellent, lets pump all that heat right back into the Case...brutal if you ask me?!
My Evga 580's hit 72C Max playing Metro 33 and idle at 31C.......and the heat exhausts directly out the back of my chassis!!!....yeah I'm an Evga fanboy ;)
Yeah I'm thinking of dumping my two 460s in favour of one 580, and this card looks interesting but with the Corsair 800D, I am wondering how much heat would be dumped in my case.

I am considering the MSI or the Evga vanilla card right now (due to the heat exhaust options).

Would the MSI lightening really dump that much more heat into my 800D?
Fold for team #54196
Old May 15, 2011, 11:38 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Speaking from personal experience with the heat sinks that MSI uses on their cards, you won't really have that much of an issue with just one card dumping air into your case, especially a large one like that. Its when you go to 2 cards sitting side by side that the primary one really gets choked up (happened to me with the 465 Golden Editions and my CM690 case). Although if you have a way to expel the hot air from say a side case fan or two i doubt you'd have much heat issues internally.
Old May 15, 2011, 01:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you have vented expansion slots on your case, I find that high positive pressure eliminates the issue of dumping heat in your case. But I'm not sure if it would be worth it to buy so many slots for the 800D, it would be rather difficult to get good pressure in that case.
Old May 15, 2011, 01:56 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
and the heat exhausts directly out the back of my chassis!!!....yeah I'm an Evga fanboy ;)
TBH that is just good logic and rational thinking and not simple blindness that comes from being a fanboi.

Quote:
with the heat sinks that MSI uses on their cards, you won't really have that much of an issue with just one card dumping air into your case
I agree and I like that MSI offers reference coolers for most cards as well. Personally I choose two reference cooler MSI GTX 570's for my SLI setup so that they would exhaust out of the case.