Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   [Solved]ATI Display Driver has stopped working properly (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/42602-solved-ati-display-driver-has-stopped-working-properly.html)

BFighter April 17, 2011 10:36 AM

[Solved]ATI Display Driver has stopped working properly

...is the message of the logbook.
I have to hard reboot my system

I start BFBC2>plays for a while>screen freezes and sound goes drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrrrrrr> then I have to hard reboot.

Catalyst 11.4 preview I have.. It's the latest. Specs in there

This problem is solved
Solution: get rid of Windows 7 SP1
No crashes until now.

frontier204 April 17, 2011 10:45 AM

That sounds like an unstable overclock on CPU, memory, or QPI/bus - that's what happens when my rig had an unstable OC while gaming, although it restarts on its own after doing a memory dump.
When GPU dies on its own it usually comes back after about half a minute (perhaps crashing the game but generally back to a useable desktop). --at least that's what my GeForce 8 and Radeon 4800s did
Does it happen at stock frequencies (judging from your OC in "My System Specs"?

BrutalGreen April 17, 2011 10:54 AM

are you using realtek onboard sound? cause that is very most likely your problem! the frostbite engine doesn't like realtek, try finding a sound card/usb that is lying around and it should fix this...if you wana make sure this is infact your problem go in device manager and disable all onboard sound devices and check to c if you still get crashes.

P.S. I'm not sure but i think this only occurs in multiplayer if I'm not mistaking

BFighter April 17, 2011 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutalGreen (Post 506969)
are you using realtek onboard sound? cause that is very most likely your problem! the frostbite engine doesn't like realtek, try finding a sound card/usb that is lying around and it should fix this...if you wana make sure this is infact your problem go in device manager and disable all onboard sound devices and check to c if you still get crashes.

P.S. I'm not sure but i think this only occurs in multiplayer if I'm not mistaking

But yesterday I was able to play fine, but today not. I've been playing battlefield for about a year now.
Maybe it's the SP1??

BFighter April 17, 2011 11:14 AM

O and the OC has been there for a long time too.

punk_zappa April 17, 2011 02:50 PM

How long have you had this rig with the setting you have? Is it just yesterday that this occurred?

grifter11 April 18, 2011 11:45 AM

I've had the same problem but with my Nvidia card. Ever since I installed my Vista and now with my Win 7. I've tried both 32 and 64-bit versions of my Win 7. I still got the error message and not only in games it happens when I'm only checking my e-mail and web surfing.

The message I get is "nvidia display driver has stopped working, and has successfully restarted". This error happens multiple times in a row every day before I'm also force to Hard reboot. I've had trying to find a solution to this error off and on for over 6-months to a 1-year. And none of the fixes I've tried work.

P.S. I tell you this error is driving me up the wall.