Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 23, 2007, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Overclocking the 8800 series

Here is an overclocking guide too the 8800's using atitool 2.06- The Whole thing is at Bjorn3D.com - a good guide for noobs like me, because it explains how to make the changes permanent in the video card bios.

"Introduction

Overclocking can take on many forms, and the practice can range from minor product improvements to a re-engineering project which completely alters the product. In this article, I will concentrate my efforts to achieving the most gain with the least amount of effort.
Some industry voices have called overclocking a hobby, while others have compared it to product misuse. However, I believe that if you are reading this article, you are probably one of the many computer enthusiasts who believe it is perfectly acceptable to get something more out of a product without it costing more money. When I think about it, everyone enjoys getting something for nothing; it's human nature.
Additionally, it is human nature to blame someone else if something goes wrong. This is where I warn you, the reader of this article, that neither I nor Bjorn3d.com recommend that you overclock your video card. This article explains how I conducted these experiments on my own property. Bjorn3d.com and the author of this article will not be responsible for damages or injury resulting from experiments you choose to conduct on your own property. If you read beyond this point, you are accepting responsibility for your own actions and hold Olin Coles and the staff of Bjorn3d.com harmless.
For this project I have selected the FOXCONN NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS as my test subject, which I reviewed here at Bjorn3D back in November 2006. Presently, the 640MB version of the GeForce 8800 GTS is the second-best video card available on the market. Gamers and computer enthusiasts alike have already speculated on how the GTS could be made to perform to the same level as the GeForce 8800 GTX with some tweaking. Unfortunately, this just isn't possible. What is possible though is taking a great product and making it even better; and do it all for free."

Last edited by Babrbarossa; February 23, 2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old March 18, 2007, 09:58 AM
Allstar

Default Another review of 8800 oc cards.

I haven't really kept up on the Nvidia side of things but when I read this article I was very suprised on just how good these cards are . Mostly I was shocked at how good the gts did compared to the gtx. At 1920X1200 no AA/16AF the cards were very close in performance. It was only when AA was turned on there was a significant performance difference. Anyways here is a link to Anandtech's review.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=2945&p=1
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd