hesitating, need fast answer
I just ordered a Asus hd 6850 1gb from amazon.ca at 193 tx inc.
The problem is that today I saw a PowerColor hd 5870 1gb at PC-Canada for 238 tx inc.
Should I get a refund for my 6850 and order the 5870 for the 45$ premium or it's not worth it?
As I can see, the 5870 is 20% faster than the 6850, but more power hungry. I have an Antec TruePower tp-650 if that matter.
Please help me make a decision!
What games do you play what's your system used for etc what resolution do you use give us a but more info
Your PSU is enough for either card.
What's your resolution? That would be my main determining factor between the 5850 and 5870.
Sure, the 5870 is a faster card, but it is a bit less refined for dx 11 titles. You'll gain some raw power, but at the expense of optimization for dx 11. Still, my suggestion would be to cancel the 6850 for a 6950 or 6870 if you're willing to spend that extra $45. You can get a 6870 for under $210 w/tax and I've seen some wicked sales (recently) for the 6950 if you're willing to gamble on getting one of these sales before they're out of stock.
dangtx will suggest that you get eh 6950 2gb model
I plan to play at 1920x1200 as much as possible. I play mostly FPS. (Black Ops, l4d2, Borderland, Crysis)
My configuration is :
Intel Q6600 no OC
4 gb Corsair TWIN2X-4096 (4-4-4-12 but only work with 5-5-5-18 on my MB)
Gigabyte ATI 4850 1gb (overheat and reboot, hence I'm looking to replace)
I decided to return the 6850. I stretched my budget and deciding between 6870 (217$) and 6950 2gb (296$).
Would I be more future proof with the 6950? I've seen it perform better in metro 2033 with the Depth of field, but not sure it's really worth 79$. If I take the 6950, will my CPU or Power Supply be a bottleneck?
Also, a big thanks for all the answers! Really Appreciate it. :clap:
The HD6950 will be more future proof than the HD6870 because it does give more performance at added cost. If you have a PSU that is around 500-550W then there should be no problem using the HD6950 and you could overclock your processor a little bit to overcome the bottleneck. My choice would be to get the HD6870 now and wait it out when the 28nm GPUs come out somewhere late this year or early next year.
Well the 6950 is better than the 6870, there is no doubt about that. However, it's not $79 better from a pure price/performance perspective. Having said that, the 6950 you linked to is a 2GB variant, which means you have a very good chance of unlocking it to a 6970 card. If you're successful unlocking the card, then the 6950 is the much better buy, in my opinion.
|All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:44 AM.|