Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 24, 2011, 05:41 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 3GB Review

After more than a year of rumors, false leads and stiff competition, NVIDIA is finally releasing their near-mythical dual Fermi graphics card. Called the GTX 590, it incorporates two 512-core GPUs and 3GB of GDDR5 memory in an effort to topple AMD's HD 6990 from its preeminent market position. Contrary to what many were led believe, this ultra hig... [ Read full article ]

Last edited by SKYMTL; March 24, 2011 at 06:07 AM.
Old March 24, 2011, 05:53 AM
MVP

My System Specs

I was waiting for this.
Old March 24, 2011, 06:09 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Interesting showing all and all.

Lets see what pricing and availability bring. As well as more refined drivers.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 24, 2011, 06:31 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Informative review, though i personally see the 590 coming up short as it at best comes up behind a 570 sli and is going to come out with a higher price tag. Only selling point to me is that its a single gpu for those who cant go sli on amd motherboard.
Old March 24, 2011, 06:42 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
We understand MSI’s AfterBurner software supports voltage increases for the GTX 590 but we’d hesitate to recommend going this direction since it could void the warranty on an extremely expensive piece of hardware
It seems reviewers have blown up the power limiter on their cards when messing with voltages.

This card seems to be quite the engineering feat, but I honestly don't see any value in it for the consumer.
Old March 24, 2011, 06:49 AM
da_bradler

So sad :( So slow.
Old March 24, 2011, 07:23 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I blame game makers for not using the potential high end cards have really.
Old March 24, 2011, 07:45 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRQ Conflict View Post
I blame game makers for not using the potential high end cards have really.
Apparently AMD is blames Microsoft as AMD claims that DX11 is holding them back in improving game visual quality. With all the games that are ported to consoles I see the drop in quality. Crysis 2 is less demanding compared to Crysis because game developers wanted to port it to console. What an utter disappointment.
Old March 24, 2011, 07:49 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilya View Post

This card seems to be quite the engineering feat
Yeh I think I saw a card like this a while back made by 3DFX

Old March 24, 2011, 07:57 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quietest Dual-GPU? Yes.
Fastest? Not quite.

Slightly disappointed in this card TBH. I think Nvidia could have gone along AMD's route to boost the cards TDP to 450w - then we may have had a clear "winner" in the performance crown.

I still won't buy either though, just not worth the money when compared to 2x 6950/6970s or 2x GTX570s. These cards will fade to nothingness unless they start becoming attractive - Either by having a lower price than two equiv. cards, or better performance than two equiv. cards.

Also, Non-reference please! AMD and Nvidia both screwed up if you ask me. Almost every case in the world vents from front to back, bottom to top (some combination thereof). Stop pushing hot air the wrong direction and work and getting it clearly out of the system please!