Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 24, 2011, 06:48 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
A cars Donut, said by the manufacturer is rated for 80KM/h. If you go on the 400 Series Highway, do 100KM/h and blow the donut, its your fault. Not the designs fault. You surpassed its rating.
And the Donut will go before the car goes. Its the first in contact.
But in that case you go and buy a donut designed for racing, one with a speed rating of 300KM/h+.
Those 80KM/h donuts were not racing donuts.
This card is not, or rather, *should not* be a pedestrian hohum card. It is literally the fastest, most expensive, highest end of Nvidia's offerings. It is targeted at the people who push the limits. This is no 80KM/h donut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
Same can be said for the card. you are going 40% past its design spec and you act suprised that the Power Delivery fails?
That means the card is designed incorrectly.

I would not bring this up if it was the core getting toasted. The problem is that you cannot push the core to it's full potential. I can live with the core itself blowing before anything else, but the power delivery death should have been avoided.

Take my PC for example, I have an overkill PSU considering the rest of my parts. Despite being first, my PSU will not(unless defective) die before other internal parts as a result of internal power draw. If I had used an insufficient PSU then of course it would have died first when my other components were using too much power..

You do not build a dual i7 & quad gfx rig with a low wattage PSU.

You do not build your flagship enthusiast card with questionable power delivery components.
Old March 24, 2011, 06:54 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
Except that this card is not akin to a regular old granny-to-the-store engine. This is supposed to be an engine that can accept a crazy aftermarket turbo. Sure, the lifespan would be reduced(as with real high performance engines) but it is failing waay too early. This is an absolute top of the line mega performance insane person's card. There is no good excuse for sub-par quality.
Top of the line performance but there is a difference:

AMD markets their card as having great OCing capabilities and voltage tuning features

NVIDIA does NOT.

Remember, this is 1.2V we are talking about here. Not a moderate voltage increase. Also remember that any voltage increase has a cumulative effect on power use so even though the voltage may have been increased by 30%, the inrush current may have ballooned substantially more. Hence why the VRMs are frying without additional cooling.

IMO, the quality here is top notch. People's expectations on the other hand are completely unrealistic here. 1.2V is simply idiotic without additional cooling on the VRMs, core, etc.

I will say though that NVIDIA is partially responsible here since their OCP is clearly not functioning correctly and won't protect people who THINK they are extreme overclockers.
Old March 24, 2011, 07:16 PM
Hall Of Fame

Ouf...I need courage to post here tonight...

Please no bashing

I DID ORDER ONE OF THOSE....ouf...don't ask me why plz, but I did.

I'm not planning to OC the card whatsoever. along with it, I got a 2500K/Asus P8P67 Deluxe waiting to receive it...I'm planning to stick with this setup for a long while....

I wanted "dual card on a stick" with the lower power draw than 2 individual card in mind. The HD6990 being LOUD, I couldn't, for the life of me, grab one of those...
I picked this one, from NCIX:

EVGA GeForce GTX 590 Classified Limited Edition 3GB PCI-E 3XDVI-I DisplayPort Video Card

NCIX.com - Buy EVGA GeForce GTX 590 Classified Limited Edition 3GB PCI-E 3XDVI-I DisplayPort Video Card - eVGA - 03G-P3-1598-AR - in Canada

$759...with instant rebate.
The ASUS is at $749...

It's a 03G-P3-1598-AR LOL I feel better now lol...lifetime warranty

-It comes with a full version of 3Dmarks11, which I appreciate
-A T-shirt (whatever, it's FREE)
-A gaming mouse pad that seems to be good, especially when it's free.
-A EVGA Backplate (those are sexy as hell IMHO)
-It's a classified and it's factory OCed to 630 MHz core (well, small OC)

IMHO, it's a much better deal than the ASUS (especially the lifetime warranty+full backplate)
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old March 24, 2011, 07:23 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
But in that case you go and buy a donut designed for racing, one with a speed rating of 300KM/h+.
Those 80KM/h donuts were not racing donuts.
This card is not, or rather, *should not* be a pedestrian hohum card. It is literally the fastest, most expensive, highest end of Nvidia's offerings. It is targeted at the people who push the limits. This is no 80KM/h donut.

That means the card is designed incorrectly.

I would not bring this up if it was the core getting toasted. The problem is that you cannot push the core to it's full potential. I can live with the core itself blowing before anything else, but the power delivery death should have been avoided.

Take my PC for example, I have an overkill PSU considering the rest of my parts. Despite being first, my PSU will not(unless defective) die before other internal parts as a result of internal power draw. If I had used an insufficient PSU then of course it would have died first when my other components were using too much power..

You do not build a dual i7 & quad gfx rig with a low wattage PSU.

You do not build your flagship enthusiast card with questionable power delivery components.
You are missing the point on purpose now I think.

The donut will survive with the car doing 80KM/h Indefinetly. Why do you need a 'racing' donut when kept within spec there is no problem? Are you upset because you can't go beyond the manufacturer's spec by 40%? I don't get it. I'm sure a 40% v increase on any card out there to date pushed to its max would toast it.

The Card will survive doing its rated V capacity. Going beyond that is buyer beware. The Components they have selected for the cards will survive if kept within their specifications.
This is only sensationalized because people found a way to not only cook their cards but do it on camera.

Anywho, I'm not going to try and placate those who don't care about reason. I am merely stating that you might be asking more of something than is practical.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 24, 2011, 08:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
I DID ORDER ONE OF THOSE....ouf...don't ask me why plz, but I did.
I'm not planning to OC the card whatsoever. along with it, I got a 2500K/Asus P8P67 Deluxe waiting to receive it...I'm planning to stick with this setup for a long while....
Then you have nothing to worry about so far as we currently know. This issue should not affect you at all.
Old March 24, 2011, 08:17 PM
Rookie

Its not a bad card by any means but I think I'd rather go SLI/CF for a cheaper, just as good or better preforming setup. Not much of a benefit for me personally since sound and heat is a non-issue (I water cool everything).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post

IMO, the quality here is top notch. People's expectations on the other hand are completely unrealistic here. 1.2V is simply idiotic without additional cooling on the VRMs, core, etc.
What do you think this thing can do under heavy water cooling? Both in overclocking and in its ability to take some more juice. I can't believe people think that 1.2V on a stock cooler. Thats one hell of a jump even for great cooling.
Old March 24, 2011, 08:39 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSavior41 View Post
What do you think this thing can do under heavy water cooling? Both in overclocking and in its ability to take some more juice. I can't believe people think that 1.2V on a stock cooler. Thats one hell of a jump even for great cooling.
Even for water cooling 1.2V is way out there for cores which are overvolted to begin with. However, if these things start regularly blowing their tops at 1.1V on water, I will gladly eat my words.
Old March 24, 2011, 08:43 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

How soon before we see the non reference air cooling for this and most importantly the black PCB, it's just bothers me to see a default greenish PCB edge on such high-end hardware.
Old March 24, 2011, 09:01 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
How soon before we see the non reference air cooling for this and most importantly the black PCB, it's just bothers me to see a default greenish PCB edge on such high-end hardware.
Pavel, if you are referring to non-reference cards, I'm not too sure that's gonna happen, if it's aftermarket cooling, then maybe.

Apparently, the cores chosen for the 590 have been binned for being the most energy efficient (don't quote me on that, I red it in a review...)

In north america, only ASUS and EVGA will be selling these cards, and all cards are made by nVidia (for nVIDIA I should say...)

Again, apparently, those cards might be really limited to a few production runs...who knows tho...

just for kicks...thermal imagery of the GTX590 (from hardware.fr) sorry it's in french only for now...

Dossier : Nvidia rpond AMD avec la GeForce GTX 590 (page 4: Tempratures) - HardWare.fr
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old March 24, 2011, 09:14 PM
Banned
F@H

so sky did you burn your sample or your hands were tied? :)