Top Prospect

My System Specs

Meh...
Old March 24, 2011, 05:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

.. You are missing my point.
The rest of the card should be built to handle the GPU core(s). The rest of the card should be solid.
It is like putting a hemi into a cardboard box with the fuel in an open-topped rusty and otherwise dirty bucket.

*Edit
"Dam innovative award" my posterior, we know how they trimmed that inch. This card is not for the average consumer. It is a high-end enthusiast card and it needs to be capable of being handled as such.

Last edited by MacJunky; March 24, 2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old March 24, 2011, 05:14 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the in depth review! Great job.
On the card: Impressive power draw compared to a SLI config, temps are great as well as the sound profile. Not a big fan of how the air is exhausted out the back of the card. Goes against the 'natural' airflow of most cases, though I'm not sure how that could be improved upon w/o WC. I'd like to see an update with more mature drivers though.
Did the 5970 have the same issues with overvolting/overclocking that the 590/6990 seem to have?
Old March 24, 2011, 05:21 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrybear View Post
So in short IF your feeling negative towards getting another amd products cause of a failed product, a warrenty &/or rebate screwup or suposivly "software issues" occuring only once then i don't find your "stance/view" valid
I've had failure problems, and some driver issues that were later resolved but the fact of the matter most of the games I play work better on Nvidia hardware.

YouTube - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 590 Maximum Overclocking Results Linus Tech Tips

Linus was able to get it to 1.1v without it blowing up. So maybe others are just having bad luck with the cards dieing at 1.2v
Old March 24, 2011, 05:30 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacJunky View Post
The rest of the card should be built to handle the GPU core(s). The rest of the card should be solid.
It is like putting a hemi into a cardboard box with the fuel in an open-topped rusty and otherwise dirty bucket.

*Edit
"Dam innovative award" my posterior, we know how they trimmed that inch. This card is not for the average consumer. It is a high-end enthusiast card and it needs to be capable of being handled as such.
what's the difference between a dead pwn card or a dead core card? why is it better?

so you want to feed infinite power to the core?, what good is it gonna do?
more oc? lol no

those dual cards are already pushing the design to the max, and the 40nm process is not following anymore.
Old March 24, 2011, 05:55 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
The rest of the card IS made to handle the cores.

To stick with your engine analogy, what's going on here is taking a basic, normally aspirated engine and equipping it with a turbo running at obscene PSI. Do you expect the engine or its components to last long? Didn't think so.
Old March 24, 2011, 06:07 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The rest of the card IS made to handle the cores.
Considering that the rest of the card gets toasted before the cores I am going to say NO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
To stick with your engine analogy, what's going on here is taking a basic, normally aspirated engine and equipping it with a turbo running at obscene PSI. Do you expect the engine or its components to last long? Didn't think so.
Except that this card is not akin to a regular old granny-to-the-store engine. This is supposed to be an engine that can accept a crazy aftermarket turbo. Sure, the lifespan would be reduced(as with real high performance engines) but it is failing waay too early. This is an absolute top of the line mega performance insane person's card. There is no good excuse for sub-par quality.
Old March 24, 2011, 06:07 PM
Banned
F@H

either way just the fact that a few mouse clicks can make it go boom,its no good. nvidia shouldve impelmented a better protection system, aka no overvoltage at all
Old March 24, 2011, 06:12 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
nvidia shouldve impelmented a better protection system, aka no overvoltage at all
Please no, that would be bad. That would cripple the card even more.
Old March 24, 2011, 06:28 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Considering that the rest of the card gets toasted before the cores I am going to say NO.
Except that this card is not akin to a regular old granny-to-the-store engine. This is supposed to be an engine that can accept a crazy aftermarket turbo. Sure, the lifespan would be reduced(as with real high performance engines) but it is failing waay too early. This is an absolute top of the line mega performance insane person's card. There is no good excuse for sub-par quality.

I don't buy that though Mac, for a few reasons.

Namely the Cores are no different than CPU's except tasks.
That being said for those who are into some crazy OC'ing and such, I see the failure rate of boards being Huge once you start pushing the boundary. The Chips survive, suprisingly the CPU's much like the GPU's will continue on. Its the other stuff getting pushed beyond its limits. The Power Delivery on the MB takes all the stress FIRST, before the CPU does.

I have a better analogy for you.

A cars Donut, said by the manufacturer is rated for 80KM/h. If you go on the 400 Series Highway, do 100KM/h and blow the donut, its your fault. Not the designs fault. You surpassed its rating.
And the Donut will go before the car goes. Its the first in contact.

Same can be said for the card. you are going 40% past its design spec and you act suprised that the Power Delivery fails?
It will Fail First because it is the First thing in the input path of the Power.
The Core is the last, the core will always survive.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com