Old March 24, 2011, 11:25 AM
Hall Of Fame

OOPS!

YouTube - Geforce GTX 590 burns @ SweClockers.com
Old March 24, 2011, 11:41 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Disappointing.....

I want to replace my 5870x2 setup but I guess I'm waiting for the 600 series cards...
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old March 24, 2011, 11:42 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
OOPS!
I was just about to post that. Looks like you beat me to it.
I'm having a de ja vu that this has happened before WARNING! NVIDIA 196.75 drivers can kill your graphics card
Old March 24, 2011, 11:42 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASharp View Post
Not sure how well that will work. According to W1zzard (and apparently some other people he's talked to) the cards apparently break if you push them too hard. The power circuitry doesn't seem to be up to the task of handling higher power requirements.
Very good point there... In that case the 6990 still takes the crown of "greatest" IMO. A 6990 can be boosted to 450w and not destroy itself in the process. I wonder what an OC'd 6990 compared to an OC'd GTX590 looks like? Yeah, the 6990 may be louder, but more OCing headroom wins it I think .
Old March 24, 2011, 12:57 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

The HD 6990 will destroy itself with too much voltage as well. I mean these people are pushing 1.2V into a core that normally has around 0.8V coursing through it. What the hell do you think is going to happen?
Old March 24, 2011, 01:02 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
The HD 6990 will destroy itself with too much voltage as well. I mean these people are pushing 1.2V into a core that normally has around 0.8V coursing through it. What the hell do you think is going to happen?
LOL. Yeah a 40% bump in voltage will do that. What were they expecting a double rainbow to burst out of it?
Old March 24, 2011, 01:36 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

The review was excellent, covered almost every situation (SLI/3D/Surround and AMD counterparts where applicable).

Not a bad product really, it has two or three small advantages compared to the GTX570 SLI, larger framebuffer (an extra 256MB, not much, but can make a difference at 4MP+ resolutions), higher bandwith and processing power, seen in the higher minimum framerates. Then again, the GTX570 is quite safe to overclock and will make up for some of the differences.

If I would have to choose, between a HD6990 and a GTX590, just because of the better cooling assembly I would take the 590 every time. I mean the difference is huge. And in time dust accumulation and aging will make things worse. Performance wise, there are no notable differences, future driver revisions will make the numbers go one way or the other with no clear winner. If we look at CF scaling, they are doing better now with the 69x0 series then SLI does in general, so there should be some room to grow in that area for SLI, not sure how much for CF.

Power consumption was almost the same as with the HD6990 and I think that is amazing considering the GF110. Also I wouldn't worry too much about the few cards some managed to fry by exaggerating with the overvoltage settings. You can do the same with the 6990. People should be more concerned about reports about the HD6990 locking up with stock settings on some occasions.

However, if you add the GTX570 SLI in the mix, then the only question is how much of a difference do the extra 256MB of RAM make? Anything else, the GTX570 can overcome through overclocking. If you have an entry level P67/Z67 board, then 590 "SLI on a stick" is the way to go, but if you have an X58, then I would lean towards GTX570 SLI... They cost the same, with the 570 dropping a little bit every two weeks or so...
Old March 24, 2011, 01:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

I am a little underwhelmed, the noise reduction compared to the 6990 is impressive but somehow I was expecting more. Though I would never touch a $700 card, so I guess it doesn't matter.
Old March 24, 2011, 02:17 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I wonder what the PSU they were using. If it was a Rosewell PSU. I would expect nothing less lol.
Old March 24, 2011, 03:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandall View Post
I'll probably pick one up to replace my dieing 280's. Mainly because I run three lcd's and would prefer a one card solution. Plus as someone who folds that's some sweet PPD.

Before the trolls jump all over me; I've had bad experience with ATI/AMD products so I no longer give them my (mostly) hard earned money.
Folding I can understand.

As for the ati/amd products, well i try to be as unbiased as possibly but I've yet to have any problems with a ati or amd product & to me reality is nvidia solutions do not have the hardware longevity as any of the videocards on the faster preforming cards. I always read on forums " my nvidia card is overheating & I think died " on cards that are 2-3 years old.

So in short IF your feeling negative towards getting another amd products cause of a failed product, a warrenty &/or rebate screwup or suposivly "software issues" occuring only once then i don't find your "stance/view" valid.

And believe me I know how bad some of the stuff can seem at times i've owned AMD/Ati on nvidia solutions. I've been working on & building/upgrading my own pc since the mid/late 90's & definatly can say I know of all the hardware abnormalities & think maybe thats just what it was.

Nowadays there are enought of us DIY'ers whom work on there systems that you can ususaly get a good reference on what combinations work best together.