Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

View Poll Results: ATI issues vs Nvidia issues on 600 and 400/500 products
ATI has stuttering/graphical issues 10 16.13%
ATI CCC (control center) has issues 15 24.19%
nVidia has stuttering/graphical issues 8 12.90%
nVidia has issues with the control panel (not including nvidia system tools) 4 6.45%
ATI has no issues for me 21 33.87%
nVidia has no issues for me 30 48.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2011, 09:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default nVidia vs ATI issues RESULTS!

Well, the voting is closed and when looking at the latest batches of hardware from each company, we can see some pretty interesting results.

Obviously these results don't give us much information about the actual problems (did users report stuttering when in fact it was just low fps?), but they do show a correlation between overall ATI vs Nvidia problems.

Looks like Nvidia really comes out ahead here, with a higher % of ATI users having a complaint compared to Nvidia users. We can also see that the forum members usually Prefer Nvidia over ATI. As always, take this with a grain of salt as the poll is really simple and has a relatively low sample size.

Last edited by draemn; March 26, 2011 at 06:36 PM. Reason: Results are in!
Old March 16, 2011, 05:30 AM
Allstar

why you make this pool result hidden, I see no use to participate in that case.
Old March 16, 2011, 06:01 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by botat29 View Post
why you make this pool result hidden, I see no use to participate in that case.
Agreed. I think everyone would like to see the results.
Old March 16, 2011, 06:21 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Hopefully we can open up the poll for everyone to see, might have been an oversight or accident in creation of it.

Regardless as I have previously stated, my 6950 currently stutters and crashes. It Crashes when viewing youtube or live streaming. it Stutters in SC2 , EVE etc etc.

I have a second rig with a pair of 460's and not one problem thus far.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 16, 2011, 08:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

At the end of the poll (9 days) the results will show up. I decided to keep the results hidden *for now, so that it would remove a potential bias in the poll.

Sorry that you can't see them yet, but don't worry, they will be fully visible at the end of the polling!
Old March 16, 2011, 09:25 AM
Allstar

I've had hardware/driver/graphical issues on both sides of the fence. Nobody's perfect. I buy whatever is best bang for the buck at the time I need new hardware.
Gigabyte HD 6970 OC
Gigabyte Z68X-UDH3-B3
Seasonic 760W
Coolermaster Hyper 212+
CM690 w/ 1-80mm, 6-120mm fans.
Old March 16, 2011, 10:00 AM
Banned
F@H

both for me, control pannel/ccc thingie wise. yeah make em public, dont wanna hide behind something like that lol
Old March 16, 2011, 10:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

ATI 6850 on my main PC and X1270 on my netbook. No issues on either. My kids PC has a HD3650, same thing, no issues. All PC's running Windows 7. I am irrationally against Nvidia video cards. My opinion on Nvidia cards is purely emotionally based. I just don't like them. I would buy a lower performing ATI card even if the price was the same. But I honestly have 0 issues with my ATI cards and software.
Old March 16, 2011, 10:22 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I will say that nvidia will often charge a premium for their cards compared to ATI. In the competitive markets, I find that nVidia charges a small < 10% price premium and an excessive price premium in the unchallenged areas (GTX 580, possibly 590, etc). Also, it seems that nVidia has a hard time beating ATI (performance/$ wise) in the lower end sub $130 market.

Still, that premium may be justified if nVidia actually has a better product when we look at the additional performance other than just in game fps. ATI is starting to close that gap by adding extra VRAM and eyefinity support to their cards, but they still offer no solution for physics, CUDA, and possibly something else I'm missing. Then again, we may find that ATI has put enough together to really counter any 'nvidia tax.' For me, the last pieces of the puzzle are seeing if there is still this 'overall trend' for ATI to have more problems (stuttering, bad CCC, image quality, etc) like past history has plagued them.
Old March 16, 2011, 10:26 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Ive had nothing but problems in the past with CCC and ATI drivers. However I quit buying ATI a few years ago as a result so I cant comment on today's cards.