Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

View Poll Results: ATI issues vs Nvidia issues on 600 and 400/500 products
ATI has stuttering/graphical issues 10 16.13%
ATI CCC (control center) has issues 15 24.19%
nVidia has stuttering/graphical issues 8 12.90%
nVidia has issues with the control panel (not including nvidia system tools) 4 6.45%
ATI has no issues for me 21 33.87%
nVidia has no issues for me 30 48.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2011, 02:48 PM
Hall Of Fame

I don't yet have a 6xxx card, but I have never had an issue with ATi or nVidia drivers. The only problem I ever has was my 7800GT made annoying electrical hissing noises and eventually had to be RMA'd. I have never gone the dual card route so maybe that is why I never had issues.
Old March 17, 2011, 02:54 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

0 problems with my XFX 6950 2GB, and I anticipate little to no problems when I go Crossfire. The 6xxx series seems a lot better than the 5xxx already, especially in terms of crossfire scaling. I haven't had the problems that many mention with drivers, and I am currently using the 11.4 previews which are working incredibly well, even with Rift (though that game just performs poorly in general due to the engine used).

Had some issues with performance on my 460GTX comparitvely but I was using a C2D, and there were noted problems with Fermi playing nice with C2D chips until a couple of driver revisions ago.

I think the CCC for AMD is significantly improved in the newest drivers, but it still has a long way to go. I'd really like to see some innate support for game profiles like Nvidia has beyond the use of a 3rd party app (RadeonPro). That would really solidify things.

Old March 17, 2011, 07:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Never post after 5 glasses of wine and a bad day. It ends up being less than flattering what you see on the screen the next day...........

Last edited by b1lk1; March 18, 2011 at 06:14 AM.
Old March 17, 2011, 08:23 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

In my experience, ATI has the better hardware, but lots of driver issues. Nvidia has better drivers, but poorer hardware. IE: I have an X850XT that has been used, abused, overheated and OC'd and still works fine. Not long ago I threw out a perfectly working RAGE XL. I currently have 2x5870s, a 5850, a 5770, and a 4650 in my PC's and the ones I've put together for family members. Not a problem with any of them,

On the Nvidia side, I had a Geforce4 (440), 8800GTX, and a 9600 all quit on me... I've also never had any luck with OCing any Nvidia cards.

All of that being said, I am sick of ATI's driver issues and will be "going green" for the next build.

I've also found ATI cards take a higher OC than their NVIDIA equivalents.
Server - i5 3450, Asus P8Z77-I Deluxe, 4GB DDR3, LSI MegaRAID 9240-8I, OCZ Vertex 4 120GB, 2x SG Barracuda 3TB(RAID1), 2x WD green 2TB(RAID1), Fractal Design Array R2, WHS 2011
Old March 17, 2011, 08:27 PM
MVP

My System Specs

I've had issues with both, but nothing at all serious and I take it in stride. I simply buy what fits my needs, and I do enjoy the troubleshooting aspect a bit.

Out of the two, nVidia has been marginally worse. 'Display Driver Error's' have been pretty common for me, even after updating from 258.96, with or without my 470's in SLI (shrugs). Surround had also caused me enough issues, to the point that I just gave up on the endeavor, despite considerable effort.
Old March 17, 2011, 09:42 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

My personal experiance has been considerably different, ive pretty much never had a single issue with nvidia cards. Now as for ati cards : ive had a 9600 pro, 6 x 9800 pro (these were particularly bad) , 9800 xt, x700, and 3870x2 croak on me under normal stock operation. Then there were the problems with my 5870 and 5770 - grey screen, giant mouse cursor and game crashes.
Old March 18, 2011, 12:56 AM
MVP

My System Specs

In the last few years I've had many Nvidia cards, with a couple SLi setups, and a few ATI/AMD cards. I have been lucky I guess 'cause none of them ever gave me any trouble. Most I could say is uninstalling drivers was tedious for both, until I found driver cleaner. Nowadays they uninstall much better.

I prefer Nvidia in the end due to PhysX, SLI scaling and EVGA's warranty, RMA and customer service.

I wouldn't mind seeing a EVGA HD 6950 FTW! lol ;-)
Old March 18, 2011, 05:56 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchutch View Post
In the last few years I've had many Nvidia cards, with a couple SLi setups, and a few ATI/AMD cards. I have been lucky I guess 'cause none of them ever gave me any trouble.
Nah. I'd say this is in truth most peoples experience as well, including myself. It's just that people on forums are typically posting because they ARE having problems. Not many will go out of their way just to post everything is running smoothly.

Old March 18, 2011, 08:07 AM
Top Prospect

I've mostly had nVidia GPU's in my systems (6600GT, 7900GT, 8800GTS SLI, 9800GTX SLI, and GTX260 SLI). I can't really think of any driver set for these that caused any major problems. I could easily install the newest drivers (even beta drivers) and they worked great. The only issues I can think of, were usually fixed with running driver sweeper and reinstalling the drivers.

In Jan 2010, I got some 5870's in Crossfire. I would say for the most part that the drivers weren't too bad. The Crossfire scaled quite well, IMO. Recently, though, I've just had waaaay too much trouble with the drivers. Drivers not picking up crossfire (reinstalling again usually fixed this), the 99% GPU usage issue (the GPU usage would randomly get stuck at 99% and you must reboot to fix) and the sticky mouse cursor in the top-right (no known fix ATM). Although, I'm not sure if this affects the HD6xxx cards or not as I don't own one. I've been getting these issues with new drivers since the 10.12 set. Most recently, I tried the 11.4 preview drivers and they still had the same issues. Going back to older driver sets, particularly the 10.9 and 10.10, things work good...those along with the 10.5's worked the best for me. However, I need the newer drivers to play Dragon Age 2 without crashing. So, it can be very frustrating sometimes.

While I can agree that ATI usually has the better performance/$, poor software can ruin that. I'm sure most people can agree that no matter how good the hardware is, it's the software that has to work.
Old March 18, 2011, 08:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

2x5870 - bugs here and there with drivers in general. For example right now there's a bug that after browsing the web sometimes GPU1 will lock at 100% load with no cause. Sometimes crossfire is buggy. Eyefinity works very well. Overall I can't complain too much about either company though. Nvidia has never done me wrong, not once. ATI has had a few bugs in some driver releases that I noticed.