Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 15, 2011, 07:53 PM
Banned
F@H

for a single card you dont get stuttering.

not sure if its drivers or the hw itself, but you can or will experience some depending on the app.
there are tricks,perhaps,to get rid of it, havent looked into it in a while, mainly dealth with issues with sli.
those,and i dont see fanbois bitching,are there to the day. you got to play with the settings in the control
panel sometimes to get it going/get it going right, and im not talking about the sli hack, but about nvidia certified mobos and new cards
thrown together.
Old March 15, 2011, 09:14 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
Show me! The cheapest lifetime warrantied 570s are the Zotac, that come to $310 AFTER MIR...
Then, you get EVGA "glory" for $340 PMed...

I've seen some MSI "reference" cards with OCed BIOS, but there is a LOT of people having issues with unstable cards...I guess MSI should sell cards at stock clocks...

I might go back to the green team...I love my HD5870, and the HD5770 from the kid's rig..don't get me wrong... I have to agree that Hd6950 pricing is really appealing.

I really want to go dual-cards (my first try) but I'm scared of stuttering...REAL or RUMOR? Some people say that stuttering is REAL but unnoticed because of being concealed by high FPS...
Yeah, the MSI and Zotac are the main ones to sell that cheap... memory express had a stock EVGA card at $300, but it sold out in like 2 hours. Gotta say, I got the MSI card and mine was unstable... have to RMA the damn thing! So yeah.. it's flipping a coin over the MSI one, but they do have very good support (just sucks to have to RMA in the first place) You could always pay the extra $5 at NCIX for express RMA and deal with NCIX over MSI if you get an unstable card.

Still, I suggest dual 560s or dual 6950s if you can find them for no more than $50 more than dual 560s.
Old March 21, 2011, 11:17 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

First post(Hi, Im Jeff, Nice forum)

Just to add,

I run two 6870's, and, personally, I don't see any stuttering. What I DO see, is very nice scaling. What you see in the review charts is what you get. Its very cool. Starcraft II has been on my screen a lot lately, and at 1920X1080, with the settings as high as I can go, 2xAA, with a full screen of zerlings and 'splosions goin on, lowest Ive seen is like 55fps I believe. Most of the time, its around 80-100fps. Makes me smile. (Campaign mind you..)

But, thats me. YMMV w/ regards to any stuttering. I dont doubt some people experience it.. But I highly doubt everyone you read on the internet who says they have it like crazy, even know what micro stutters are.
Old March 22, 2011, 06:10 PM
Rookie

anyone tried oc two 2gb hd 6970 to hdd 6950? how is the performance? how is the temp?

Last edited by skydealseeker; March 22, 2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old March 22, 2011, 06:21 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
for a single card you dont get stuttering.

not sure if its drivers or the hw itself, but you can or will experience some depending on the app.
there are tricks,perhaps,to get rid of it, havent looked into it in a while, mainly dealth with issues with sli.
those,and i dont see fanbois bitching,are there to the day. you got to play with the settings in the control
panel sometimes to get it going/get it going right, and im not talking about the sli hack, but about nvidia certified mobos and new cards
thrown together.

I get stuttering and my 6950 runs alone Dan, not to mention going from my Beta to the most current drivers It still crashes...

For the two builds with Dual 6850's, they are nightmares of sometimes it detects Crossfire, sometimes it doesnt....sometimes it crashes, sometimes it doesn't.

Its very frustrating to be honest.
And its not again for lack of trying, nor fanboi'ism mate. I've always had both camps in the house.
Heck I built this rig, and put the Extra into the board just so I could have Crossfire.
Waste of $ right now..

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 22, 2011, 06:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soultribunal View Post
I get stuttering and my 6950 runs alone Dan, not to mention going from my Beta to the most current drivers It still crashes...

For the two builds with Dual 6850's, they are nightmares of sometimes it detects Crossfire, sometimes it doesnt....sometimes it crashes, sometimes it doesn't.

Its very frustrating to be honest.
And its not again for lack of trying, nor fanboi'ism mate. I've always had both camps in the house.
Heck I built this rig, and put the Extra into the board just so I could have Crossfire.
Waste of $ right now..

ST
This troubles me a little as I was contemplating buying a 6950 2gb shortly... have you considered the possibility that your troubles are your-card-specific, and maybe you should contact the manufacturer and RMA?
Old March 22, 2011, 07:00 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socrates_Johnston View Post
This troubles me a little as I was contemplating buying a 6950 2gb shortly... have you considered the possibility that your troubles are your-card-specific, and maybe you should contact the manufacturer and RMA?
When 3 Builds in total do the Exact same thing on the exact same games. I highly doubt 5 cards failed all at once.

ALthough yes, I do understand what you are saying. However the visable stuttering you see is not a failing card. I've never seen a card fail like that before, and its more prevelant in certain games over others.

ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old March 22, 2011, 08:09 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
This troubles me a little as I was contemplating buying a 6950 2gb shortly
This troubles me a LOT.

Between tomorrow and Friday, I WILL order one high-end or two mid-high end cards....

-Hd6950s: Great scaling, but a lot of drivers issues/woes..nice backplate+nice 2GB RAM!!!

-GTX560Ti OCed...not bad, power hogs...(EVGA GTX560Ti SC seems like a good buy)

-GTX570s: Weak power stages, lots of blown/fried cards....most is USER'S FAULT, but still, they're weak cards...pretty sad...

-HD6990: Noisy-crazy-hot but less power draw than 2 X 6970..

-HD6970s: hot, power hogs

-GTX580: Nice but a little pricey...

-GTX590: WAIT AND SEE

I'm loosing my mind...I'm ready to splurge about $700 on the best, fastest, longer lasting (LOLZ FLAME ME) graphics solution for BF3 and the next 2 years.....I won't be able to put money on computer parts for a few years...gotta be ready for it....
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old March 22, 2011, 08:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you're really wanting to get the best value and don't really need an expensive upgrade yet, put your money into savings until the end of the year when 28nm GPUs come out. That's going to be one of the largest leaps in GPU technology and performance that we've seen in a long time!
Old March 22, 2011, 08:24 PM
Hall Of Fame

That would definitely the smartest thing to do...it just kills the "enthusiast" in me...lol
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / N560GTX Ti Twin FROZR II OC / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)