Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2011, 03:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default RMA my MSI 570?

Damn,

The factory o/c on my MSI GTX 570 OC is unstable... It locks up/crashes in Just cause 2 and gets a few errors in OCCT GPU test.

It's fine with everything else, and I'm 99% sure that it's just an unstable o/c. Sadly, MSI will not offer me any firmware options to get to a stable o/c with warranty intact. They just want me to RMA the card.

I'm not a big fan of having to use a software solution (such as MSI afterburner) to down-clock the GPU to be stable in Just Cause 2, but I'm not a big fan of having to wait that long for them to test the card and send a replacement.

Oh sigh, I was hoping that someone would say "here's a firmware file you can flash to that will increase stability. Try it and we won't void your warranty."
Old March 8, 2011, 04:41 PM
Hall Of Fame

You should RMA....what are they are offering you? Any options? like a Stock card + a little something like a good free game or something? a Step up to another card maybe?

I'm a little weary of the MSI OCed cards...some say that you might need a little more voltage to run the card stable without errors..

I remember a lot of the owners of XFX HD5870 XXX Black edition cards having to downclock their cards to to get them stable...

I really prefer Vanilla cards, especially with the SO SMALL OCs compared to stock clocks...not worth it actually.

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old March 8, 2011, 04:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
You should RMA....what are they are offering you? Any options? like a Stock card + a little something like a good free game or something? a Step up to another card maybe?

I'm a little weary of the MSI OCed cards...some say that you might need a little more voltage to run the card stable without errors..

I remember a lot of the owners of XFX HD5870 XXX Black edition cards having to downclock their cards to to get them stable...

I really prefer Vanilla cards, especially with the SO SMALL OCs compared to stock clocks...not worth it actually.
Yeah, I wish they would just give me firmware with a voltage bump... and better fan profiles ;)

I haven't got the official RMA email from them yet. I got the OC version because it was (surprisingly) the cheapest GTX 570 @ $310 before $20 MIR. Still, I wouldn't call 7.5% that small (although it isn't large either).
Old March 8, 2011, 05:02 PM
Hall Of Fame

NCIX had a nice MSI GTX580 OC for $449 on a one-day surprise sale a few weeks back...that was an awesome price...

Anyway, PLEASE report back as you get updates on your RMA status with MSI, it is important information to share with the folks around here!!!!

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Old March 9, 2011, 03:48 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

im pretty shure you can flash a modded bios and keep your warranty. I remember reading somewhere that MSI just wasnt the same physical card they sold, they dont care if you took it apart for custom cooling ( as long as they get the original product back. im not too sure about this, so would be better if you chack with msi.
Old March 9, 2011, 08:51 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I still didn't have the support person send me an email for RMA service... but otherwise MSI has been quick to respond and offer RMA service. I left another message asking (again) if they just have some firmware flash I can use for a stable o/c and if they support cross shipping etc.

Anyone with experience with RMAs, who usually pays for shipping and how?

Edit: MSI requires you pay to ship to them and will do cross shipping if you pay in advance (they will later refund you) and they have the item in stock. Are there companies that refund your shipping costs when you ship a card to them?

Last edited by draemn; March 9, 2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old March 9, 2011, 11:45 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Anyone got any answers to my questions in the post above?
Old March 10, 2011, 12:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Go to the MSI Web site and read up ....

Old March 10, 2011, 11:20 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Go to the MSI Web site and read up ....
Try reading my flipping post before telling me stuff you tell people who know nothing... god damn it pisses me off when people just post "do the most basic thing that everyone always suggests and you wouldn't try to do if you live under a rock and just posted questions without trying anything yourself."

I wasn't asking about MSI as I know MSI's policy...
Old March 10, 2011, 11:35 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If that can help you, I am actually doing a RMA with MSI. I asked them for cross shipping unfortunatly they denied me because of few reason like it's the first RMA on the card and I'm not a workplace. Other than that, I am very pleased for now with the going of it. Like most of the RMA I have done, I have to pay shipping to them and they pay shipping to me. For now they received my card this morning so it's actually in the chain for test and replacement but I can keep you in touch with all the RMA process if you want?

If you have any other question or my answer wasn't what you were searching for just ask and I'll try to change it ;)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||