Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 10, 2011, 10:54 AM
MVP

My System Specs

It's my experience that if you start an RMA and don't follow through it may cause a denial in future service. My advice ( I have done a fair amount of RMAs with EVGA, Gigabyte, Antec ect..) would be to RMA the card and assume you will get the same model card back and it will operate as it was supposed to in the first place.

If you get the same issue I would then backup the original VGA BIOS, flash it to a custom BIOS (adjusting clocks and fans) and if you need to RMA again at some point then flash it back to the original BIOS. Of course you could do this option now. I don't know for sure but I doubt they would know you did this.

As for shipping, you pay to ship to them, they pay to ship to you. Don't cheap out on this, if it's not properly insured and tracked they are not liable for anything.

Last edited by mchutch; March 10, 2011 at 11:02 AM.
Old March 10, 2011, 11:38 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

if the card is not stable at is default oc clocks it could mean that it is just a bad gpu which will not clockpast nvidia stock settings (as well as failed testing on msi's part), or it could be degrading gpu, which will work with increased voltage (if you decid eto mod the bios or run a program such as afterburner in your background) but only temporary and will keep on asking for more volts. i would suggest to rma it as soon as possible.
Old March 10, 2011, 12:42 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Okay, so most companies it is standard to pay shipping to them, this isn't just a few cheap companies? In the RMA thread, they have a question "any extra costs," but I didn't know if that included shipping as everyone just puts "no."

As of now, I haven't been phone back about cross shipping, but I also haven't been told I can't do it for any of the reasons you listed above. I am not familiar with flashing BIOS with VGA... can you create a custom BIOS easily? Lol, I would have been fine (if I hadn't already started the process, or if they had been able to offer it) with down-clocking the 570 to about 760 Mhz as that is stable (with a permanent flash). Still, might as well do the RMA since there could be other problems that keep it from stability (degrading card, etc).
Old March 10, 2011, 03:33 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Many brand have cross shipping for RMA. Sometime it only depend on the guy that answer you. For exemple, at mushkin the first time they denied it to me, but I ended up canceling it since the guy was asking me some info I didn't have on hand like invoice number. When I called them back the second guy I talked to aproved the cross shipping. Call them if you want to make sure you will have an answer.

Keep us up to date with all that ;)

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||