Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 8, 2011, 03:51 AM
Allstar
F@H

Wow 4GB of ram and 2 cores. That card is probably more powerful than my whole laptop ...

Very nice review!
Old March 8, 2011, 04:03 AM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

All the point of blower-style fans is that it's exhausting hot air OUT of the case.
In this case, would've it been much better to implement a 'twin frozr' style heatsink?
Old March 8, 2011, 04:19 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Impressions?
Heat exhausting out the back = Still don't like that idea at all, I'll wait for more reviews on it.
At least with the cores being spaces so far apart (to the edges of the card even) the heat of the cores themselves seem very well managed.

Performance, yes it's slightly behind a pair of 6970s. But, we all have to remember that a 5970 wasn't even close to Xfire 5870s last time around, so thats a good improvement IMO. Also, at $700 the price is on par with two 6970s.

So why get this card? Simple. If noise isn't your greatest concern, a you need maximum performance, you get one of these. Then later on, you get a second one for Quadfire. You're paying to have the performance (almost) of two 6970s in half the space. Simple as that.

Now, my biggest question is, do I get one of these and do the Quadfire thing down the road, or get two 6970s and OC the crap out of them and be happy... 5600x1200 is alot of pixels i want to push. Hmmm... Must read more reviews first
Old March 8, 2011, 04:20 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Im not as impressed as i thought I would be, it is a nice card, but i dont quite see the perfomance i was expecting untill you get up into huge resolutions, and the fact that the bios switch kills the warranty is a shame, why bother with it? Great review however Sky, very detailed.

Mav
Old March 8, 2011, 05:25 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I was expecting better performance and price honestly.
Old March 8, 2011, 05:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
"We found that enabling V-Sync reduced this noise but letís be honest; you donít buy an ultra high end card to play at a constant 60 FPS."
You don't buy an ultra high end card to play with a 60Hz monitor.... Really.....
Old March 8, 2011, 05:44 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
Impressions?
Heat exhausting out the back = Still don't like that idea at all, I'll wait for more reviews on it.
At least with the cores being spaces so far apart (to the edges of the card even) the heat of the cores themselves seem very well managed.

Performance, yes it's slightly behind a pair of 6970s. But, we all have to remember that a 5970 wasn't even close to Xfire 5870s last time around, so thats a good improvement IMO. Also, at $700 the price is on par with two 6970s.

So why get this card? Simple. If noise isn't your greatest concern, a you need maximum performance, you get one of these. Then later on, you get a second one for Quadfire. You're paying to have the performance (almost) of two 6970s in half the space. Simple as that.

Now, my biggest question is, do I get one of these and do the Quadfire thing down the road, or get two 6970s and OC the crap out of them and be happy... 5600x1200 is alot of pixels i want to push. Hmmm... Must read more reviews first
I wouldn't worry about the noise and heat as custom designs such as MSI's twin FrozrIII and Asus' Direct CUII will tame this beast.

I must say I found all the reviews of this card on a single display to be a total waste of everyone's time. I am only looking at 5670x1080 as minimal requirement for this card.

It's a new era for gaming that will revive PC games and from the benchmarks I can say that the first offering, the 6990 is an average card that will get you the preferred 60 FPS @ 5670x1080 on medium settings in most games. If you intend to Step up to 5670x1200 and set details to maximum, crossfire is a must.

Personally I'll stick to my single 1920x1080 display and gtx 460, and save up for next year's 22nm chips that will be more powerful and less power hungry. Hopefully by then the PS360 and Xbox3 (whatever) will be dead and developers will shift their resources to developing DX11 games.

Other sites that did a proper review as HWC has;
AMD Radeon HD 6990 Graphics Card Review - Introduction
Introduction - AMD Radeon HD 6990 "Antilles" Video Card Review | [H]ard|OCP
Old March 8, 2011, 05:59 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
i see no complaints yet on how the temps in this review are different than others.

open test bench vs closed case = can be quite a difference :)
Why would there be complaints? In my opinion, only testing temperatures in a case is ridiculous in the extreme due to a number of factors:

- Every case is different and therefore will produce different results

- There is absolultely no way to control in-case temperatures so every test is the same. This makes comparison testing absolutely pointless

- A choice of other components (CPU, etc) will have a large impact upon said temperatures.

In my opinion, the only way to OBJECTIVELY test comparative temperatures is within a controled environment as we do with the CPU, GPU and cooler reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
I must say I found all the reviews of this card on a single display to be a total waste of everyone's time. I am only looking at 5670x1080 as minimal requirement for this card.
Totally agree. I actually saw some reviews which only went up to 1920 x 1200 / 4xAA. At that point, you may as well not even bother testing this card. But then again, some sites will do anything for an increase in traffic....
Old March 8, 2011, 06:10 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

This was totally worth the 4 month anticipation! Thanks for another great review sky. Now lets see those 5970's come up for sale while people replace those quadfire setups muahaha.
Old March 8, 2011, 06:20 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luay79 View Post
I wouldn't worry about the noise and heat as custom designs such as MSI's twin FrozrIII and Asus' Direct CUII will tame this beast.

Totally agreed there. But a Non-reference 6990? You must be joking... I don't even think they made a non-ref 5970 after all this time (save the Aries, but thats just silly)... Kindof depressing really. Even just trying to find the 6970 DirectCU2 has been a hassle, although Newegg has it in stock finally. For my setup though, its really hard to figure out if 2x OC'd DCu2 6970s will be enough... Bah. Must read more reviews before i decide (and sell lots of stuff to afford it lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I actually saw some reviews which only went up to 1920 x 1200 / 4xAA. At that point, you may as well not even bother testing this card. But then again, some sites will do anything for an increase in traffic....
Totally agreeing with you there Sky. If anyone picks up this card for a single lil monitor then they're only after bragging rights because a card at half the price (like the 6970) will handle all games at that res. with smooth framerates. This card is for the 30'' panel guys and Eyefinity guys in essence.