Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 7, 2011, 01:23 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default Please help me choose between these 2 cards.

I know these are low end for most out there, but this is all I have to spend now so I would like to know what card is going to do me better. They are almost the same, one has lower memory but faster Effective Memory Clock, they other has slower Effective Memory Clock but more memory. I just don't know what is more important. I do some gaming. I plan to run dual monitors with DVI, a samsung 23" and a samsung 20".

Card 1: EVGA 512-P3-N954-TR GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Card 2: EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

For a side by side comparison CLICK HERE
Old March 7, 2011, 02:36 AM
Banned
F@H

neither. btw, whats your budget after tax/shipping?

you should seriously look into a used card. better bang per buck

series8/9 g92 like 8800gts 512/9800gtx can be had for cheaper than the cheapest of the above,
different level of performance of course
Old March 7, 2011, 03:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know you are state side but after tax this might be close to the price, mind you NE has the free shipping.
XFX GTX260
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...0gt-512mb.html
Both cards will out perform the 9500's if you can swing it my money would go to the 260 if not the 88gt is still a very good card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old March 7, 2011, 07:06 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

My limit is $70. I don't want used because I have no idea what I'm getting (used and abuse, overheated, OC'ed and burned out). I'm not a heavy gamer, COD and Tron maybe, if I ever get time. My work keeps me so busy. I spend around 14 hours a day in front of my PC but it's work, I might game a few hours a month, not enough to go spend big $$ on a gaming card.
I don't have money to waist, I have a wife and 2 kids and I'm just looking for the cheapest vid card I can get that has 2 DVI outs so I can run both my monitors digital.

I really want an answer to my original post, which is the better card of these 2.

Card 1: EVGA 512-P3-N954-TR GeForce 9500 GT 512MB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Card 2: EVGA 01G-P3-N959-TR GeForce 9500 GT 1GB 128-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

For a side by side comparison CLICK HERE
Old March 7, 2011, 07:31 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I know you are fairly set on either one of those cards but I would rather see you go with this:

Newegg.com - EVGA 01G-P3-1430-LR GeForce GT 430 (Fermi) 1GB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card

That is a much newer card and at least has DX11 support. Also from what I understand it is quite a bit better performing card. It is also the same price as the 1GB 9500GT you linked. As for having two dvi ports it does not, it has 1 dvi, 1 vga and 1 hdmi. So all you would need is a HDMI to DVI adapter/cable and you are set to have both dvi displays hooked up.

It is really a much better choice in my mind anyways.

Old March 7, 2011, 07:39 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Correct me if I'm wrong, but digital is better than analog. I want to run both monitors digital to get the best clarity/color/definition possible. I'm not set on the cards I chose, it's just that I can't find a fully digital card within my price range, except those 2..

Here is what I'm running now, bought it years ago, click here
Old March 7, 2011, 07:44 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yes digital is better than analog, but for most you won't be able to see the difference between the two.

Don't buy either 9500GT. You can get a lot for $70 already. And while you said you don't know how the condition of the used item, buy from a reputable forum member who will cover warranty, valid working condition, etc. Of course if you do insist on spending money to buy a GPU, and don't mind MIRs, take a look at Newegg. A quick search brings up a NVIDIA GT240 for $30AR.
Old March 7, 2011, 08:03 AM
Hall Of Fame

an 8500 to a 9500 is a sidegrade, not an upgrade.. unless you just want 2 digital connections.

I'd search for a used card somehow, or buy some of the ones suggested above. a 9500 GT is just a waste of money.

I'd even wait until you can spend around $100 and find a used gtx 260 or 460.
Old March 7, 2011, 08:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan G View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but digital is better than analog. I want to run both monitors digital to get the best clarity/color/definition possible. I'm not set on the cards I chose, it's just that I can't find a fully digital card within my price range, except those 2..

Here is what I'm running now, bought it years ago, click here

That is why with that 430 you run one from the DVI and the other one from the HDMI. You can get a HDMI to DVI cable and that will give you dual digital.

Old March 7, 2011, 08:54 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaine View Post
That is why with that 430 you run one from the DVI and the other one from the HDMI. You can get a HDMI to DVI cable and that will give you dual digital.
I'll take your opinion that I want the 430 and get an HDMI to DVI, so then I need to ask your opinion again. how is this, it's the same card with better reviews click here
Also save me around $10. Or should I stick with the big name EVGA?