Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 28, 2011, 08:25 PM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Default Sparkle ONE GTS 450 1GB OC Single Slot Review Comment Thread

As the GTS 450 series has matured, board partners have come out with some unique products. Sparkle has headlined their lineup with a single slot and overclocked card that hopes to strike a cord with HTPC users who are looking for more performance than integrated solutions can offer....

[ Read full article ]
Old February 28, 2011, 09:20 PM
Banned
F@H

looking good.

noise is not that bad either! did you manage to get a db reading? :)
Old February 28, 2011, 10:17 PM
MVP
F@H

How do you reckon this card would perform as a Physx card?
Old February 28, 2011, 10:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Is that an Accelero L1 on the OC edition? Looks like it :)

-Plato
Old February 28, 2011, 10:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Although I don't need a single slot for a PhysX card since I ditched SLI, it would be nice to see it benched as a dedicated PhysX card. It's a bit expensive for a PhysX card in my taste, but anything for less seems barely adequate at PhysX.
Old March 1, 2011, 06:03 AM

I benched Mafia II with a GT 240 a while ago: Mafia II: Perfection for NVIDIA’s Graphics Plus Technologies?

Expect the GTS 450 to net better performance than that in most cases. However, there are situations where PhysX stops scaling upwards since some cards have more power than it takes to run the calculations.
Old March 1, 2011, 11:03 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
I benched Mafia II with a GT 240 a while ago: Mafia II: Perfection for NVIDIA’s Graphics Plus Technologies?

Expect the GTS 450 to net better performance than that in most cases. However, there are situations where PhysX stops scaling upwards since some cards have more power than it takes to run the calculations.
I found the GT 240 was completely crippled in Mafia 2... Not only could it utilize a meager 50% of the GPU for PhysX, it couldn't handle the benchmark test any better than about 40 fps with medium PhysX. I would hope/expect the GTS 450 to be closer to a GT 260, which is getting into cards that won't bottleneck PhysX.

I can understand how with limited time, it's not a high priority to do PhysX benchmarks (since not many people buy dedicated PhysX cards), but I always find the a) single slot PhysX and b) sub $100 PhysX cards interesting.

I had to get rid of my GT 240 because it was annoyingly (fan at 100%, no manual control) loud.
Old March 2, 2011, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by draemn View Post
I found the GT 240 was completely crippled in Mafia 2... Not only could it utilize a meager 50% of the GPU for PhysX, it couldn't handle the benchmark test any better than about 40 fps with medium PhysX. I would hope/expect the GTS 450 to be closer to a GT 260, which is getting into cards that won't bottleneck PhysX.

I can understand how with limited time, it's not a high priority to do PhysX benchmarks (since not many people buy dedicated PhysX cards), but I always find the a) single slot PhysX and b) sub $100 PhysX cards interesting.

I had to get rid of my GT 240 because it was annoyingly (fan at 100%, no manual control) loud.
Huh? Really? There must have been some other bottleneck because a GT 240 should be FAR more than enough for that game. Unless you use the stand alone benchmark...
Old March 4, 2011, 11:09 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Huh? Really? There must have been some other bottleneck because a GT 240 should be FAR more than enough for that game. Unless you use the stand alone benchmark...
Nope, I found the results odd myself, but I was using the benchmark in the full steam version of the game. I achieved a best benchmark score of 41 fps average, but that was after running 3 tests in a row and taking the best. I can't remember if I just had some settings wrong in my first test, but after o/c my CPU my fps improved from about 38... but I might have done the first test with PhysX incorrectly set for the game? Mind you, I was using the 1GB DDR3 model.
Old March 5, 2011, 10:00 AM

It could be that you didn't properly set the second card as the PhysX processor in the NVIDIA control panel. It isn't enabled by default.