Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 1, 2011, 01:07 PM
MVP

My System Specs

It has to be a Windows thing. Since both Nvidia and ATI users get them. God knows how to fix it. And after some digging. This issue goes back to XP days as well.
Old March 1, 2011, 02:13 PM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by ern88 View Post
It has to be a Windows thing. Since both Nvidia and ATI users get them. God knows how to fix it. And after some digging. This issue goes back to XP days as well.
I figured a Window's problem. I suspected it might have something to do with the video DRM built into Vista and Win 7 - which wasn't around in XP. I've only seen it with 1 NVidia card, out of 2 on Win 7, but never on XP. Having up to date drivers doesn't seem to fix it for most people.
Old March 1, 2011, 02:14 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

I've been seeing this message using GTX 275 for years and god knows how many generations of drivers, more often using Aero, just accepted it and moved on.
Old March 2, 2011, 09:55 AM
MVP

I get windows action centre telling me to install my video card driver for my ATI 5700 series card, even though I have a 5850. When I update drivers, this does not change.
Old March 5, 2011, 06:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

well i just come home to fuss when a play a video on htpc and the driver keeps crashing oh crap this sucks
Old March 5, 2011, 07:54 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

This probably won't help the discussion......but here goes.
I've experienced the ATI....stopped working etc.........running two 5870's in crossfire.
I've also been enduring crashes and other oddities.
So what happens when I have only one 5870 working?...........NOTHING!
Games run silky smooth. Crysis 2 demo on hardcore setting no probs. Medal of Honour maxed, no issues.
Crossfire enabled and I'm in a world of pain!

It's becoming apparent to me that 2 5870 video cards just don't like working together:(
Old March 6, 2011, 07:19 AM
Allstar

I have this as well and has spanned three win 7 installs running HD4870, GTX260, GTX460 and GTX570 but only when playing FarCry 2. This has not always been the case since it was rock solid on my 1st installl of win 7 ... Maybe an win update a while ago could be causing it.
Old March 31, 2012, 05:45 PM
Allstar

Well, now I've got these messages, first time during FO:NV, then during Hard Reset. I uninstalled the driver, ran CCleaner, and upgraded to the latest nvidia driver. Tested Hard Reset again and it was fine. Now DE:HR Missing Link did it to me.
I had been running the previous driver for a while with no issues, but did install BFBC and Crysis 2 last weekend, that would be the only other software change. Is this problem really that random or can it be solved eventually?
GTX560Ti, win7 x64, 4gb ram.

edit: seems it's not so uncommon
FIX! - Display driver stopped responding and has recovered - NVIDIA Forums

Last edited by On2wheels; March 31, 2012 at 08:33 PM.
Old April 2, 2012, 03:24 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by On2wheels View Post
Well, now I've got these messages, first time during FO:NV, then during Hard Reset. I uninstalled the driver, ran CCleaner, and upgraded to the latest nvidia driver. Tested Hard Reset again and it was fine. Now DE:HR Missing Link did it to me.
I had been running the previous driver for a while with no issues, but did install BFBC and Crysis 2 last weekend, that would be the only other software change. Is this problem really that random or can it be solved eventually?
GTX560Ti, win7 x64, 4gb ram.

edit: seems it's not so uncommon
FIX! - Display driver stopped responding and has recovered - NVIDIA Forums

This problem seems to be endemic to the 560 Ti. I had it with my Galaxy card for numerous driver releases. I kept going back to version 275. But a recent update fixed the problem for me. If it's really troubling you, I'd suggest reverting to an older driver.
Old April 2, 2012, 04:07 PM
"Quote This..."
F@H

I think it is adobe flash causing these rare crashes.