Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

    
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21 (permalink)  
Old February 27, 2011, 11:47 AM
Delavan's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mtl
Posts: 1,153
Default

Ok guys,

I SERIOUSLY need to know the truth now....

Cause I'm about to order either 2 X HD6950s or a single GTX580...the following card (s) will last me at least 2 or 3 years, so I'm trying to get the best option for the next few years...

Is Crossfire issues mostly PEBKACs? I never had issues with my single HD5870, so the nightmarish "driver stories" don't bother me much..

I cannot find the truth, seems like opinions are 50/50...reviewers are displaying amazing scaling and never mention that it has to be avoided...

One one side : reviews like TPU, where they worship the Crossfire HD6950 (review was awesome), Motherboard.org, where he mentioned that the scaling was AMAZING...

On the other side: all the people complaining that Crossfire is a scam, it barely works, drivers are horrible...to the point where CREDIBILITY is lost....

MY one thousand dollars PLAN: Grab a 1080P 120HZ 24" screen ($350-$400), and the most powerful GFX card setup ($550 or less)

I found that you could PM the BenQ XL2410T for around $360 and grab two XFX HD6950 1GB for $219 each after MIR.... (all at NCIX)

I'm afraid that Crossfire config issues could rain on my parade and drive me nuts...SO I hesitate between this and a single gTX580....
__________________
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / EVGA GTX780 ACX / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)

Last edited by Delavan; February 27, 2011 at 12:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22 (permalink)  
Old February 27, 2011, 12:06 PM
Dr_BenD_over's Avatar
Fallen Folder
F@H
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 2,418

My System Specs

Default

I cannot recommend CF, however I will probably use it again. I'm sure if you search my posts you'll see the issues I've had with it over the years.
__________________
All's well that's Haswell
Reply With Quote
  #23 (permalink)  
Old February 27, 2011, 12:24 PM
rjbarker's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Courtenay, B.C
Posts: 5,932

My System Specs

Default

Delavan......at this point all I can say is that I have NO experience running Crossfire and about 4 yrs running various nv Cards in both SLi and Tri SLi.

As I have no experience with Crossfire I'm not in a position to say how there Drivers perform "Scaling Wise".....sorry, really all you can do is check with other Members as to their "Crossfire Experiences"....as for SLi,
I have had little to no problems running SLi or Tri SLi, as for Scaling (Ball Park Figures):

x2 SLi = Approx. 80% increase in Performance
x3 Tri SLi = Approx. 30 - 40% further increase from x 2 SLi

These figures above are "rough", as in some games are less and some more.

I just don't think its fair for someone to Post SLi and Crossfire into the same "Problematic Issues", particularly when that person has NO experience with SLi......

It really is simply your call, I was so impressed y the SLi Scaling years ago and given the immaturity of Crossfire at that time I've simply stuck to what I know works and is generally "Problem Free" ( for me).....I have assumed by reading the odd "Review" that ATI Catalyst and Crossfire have now matured to at least be on equal ground with the Green Guys (Scaling / Problem Free).....but actual "Crossfire Users" would know this for sure.

As I enjoy Multi Card Performance and given the history I have had with SLi, I'll likely stick to what I know works fine.

Personally for the Res you're using 1080, a single "great" Card would likely be adequate.......as for being good for 5 yrs?.....I certainly don't hope for any Single Card to be able to keep up for 5 yrs...but then again I change out regularly ;)

Cheers
__________________
Introducing me n my OCD to Watercooling, is like taking an Alcoholic to an "all you can drink" Beach Bar in Mexico

.
Reply With Quote
  #24 (permalink)  
Old February 27, 2011, 12:30 PM
Soultribunal's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Mississauga
Posts: 8,068

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbarker View Post
Delavan......at this point all I can say is that I have NO experience running Crossfire and about 4 yrs running various nv Cards in both SLi and Tri SLi.

As I have no experience with Crossfire I'm not in a position to say how there Drivers perform "Scaling Wise".....sorry, really all you can do is check with other Members as to their "Crossfire Experiences"....as for SLi,
I have had little to no problems running SLi or Tri SLi, as for Scaling (Ball Park Figures):

x2 SLi = Approx. 80% increase in Performance
x3 Tri SLi = Approx. 30 - 40% further increase from x 2 SLi

These figures above are "rough", as in some games are less and some more.

I just don't think its fair for someone to Post SLi and Crossfire into the same "Problematic Issues", particularly when that person has NO experience with SLi......

It really is simply your call, I was so impressed y the SLi Scaling years ago and given the immaturity of Crossfire at that time I've simply stuck to what I know works and is generally "Problem Free" ( for me).....I have assumed by reading the odd "Review" that ATI Catalyst and Crossfire have now matured to at least be on equal ground with the Green Guys (Scaling / Problem Free).....but actual "Crossfire Users" would know this for sure.

As I enjoy Multi Card Performance and given the history I have had with SLi, I'll likely stick to what I know works fine.

Cheers

I have honestly worked with both now (Xfire 6850's , SLI 460's) on a side by side of both machines I have personally found that the performance scaling is actually very good. That being said I have had more game crashes because of Video problems from the Xfire rig vs the SLI rig. Could it be drivers? I think its possible, as my friend running 6870's in Xfire crashes in the exact same way in the exact same game.

Multi-GPU is still good if you are on a budget and you can snag two cheap cards to pull it off with. Beyond that I would grab the single best Card you can afford and opt for that route.

ST
__________________




"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Reply With Quote
  #25 (permalink)  
Old February 27, 2011, 01:41 PM
Delavan's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mtl
Posts: 1,153
Default

Quote:
Multi-GPU is still good if you are on a budget and you can snag two cheap cards to pull it off with. Beyond that I would grab the single best Card you can afford and opt for that route.
KK, just like usual, it's always better to stick to a single solution...GTX580 will be it I guess...I don't need crashes...especially when you fork lots of cash on hardware, you don't wan to get stuck with a sub-optimal solution...

BTW OP, Sorry, didn't mean to hijack...
__________________
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / EVGA GTX780 ACX / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Reply With Quote
  #26 (permalink)  
Old February 28, 2011, 12:47 AM
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 29

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delavan View Post
Ok guys,

I SERIOUSLY need to know the truth now....

Cause I'm about to order either 2 X HD6950s or a single GTX580...the following card (s) will last me at least 2 or 3 years, so I'm trying to get the best option for the next few years...

Is Crossfire issues mostly PEBKACs? I never had issues with my single HD5870, so the nightmarish "driver stories" don't bother me much..

I cannot find the truth, seems like opinions are 50/50...reviewers are displaying amazing scaling and never mention that it has to be avoided...

One one side : reviews like TPU, where they worship the Crossfire HD6950 (review was awesome), Motherboard.org, where he mentioned that the scaling was AMAZING...

On the other side: all the people complaining that Crossfire is a scam, it barely works, drivers are horrible...to the point where CREDIBILITY is lost....

MY one thousand dollars PLAN: Grab a 1080P 120HZ 24" screen ($350-$400), and the most powerful GFX card setup ($550 or less)

I found that you could PM the BenQ XL2410T for around $360 and grab two XFX HD6950 1GB for $219 each after MIR.... (all at NCIX)

I'm afraid that Crossfire config issues could rain on my parade and drive me nuts...SO I hesitate between this and a single gTX580....
Here's the way I see it..... Crossfire is what I tried and I deeply regret it.... I could have had a GTX580 for what I spent on these cards. I've tried EVERYTHING and nothing can get these cards to work in harmony even though they should be working flawlessly.

Stick to one GTX 580... You'll be much happier and you won't have any issues. Furthermore, in 2 years you can sell it for a decent price and use that money to buy another card. No biggie :)

ATI use to be so good!!! But AMD ****** it up royally.
Reply With Quote
  #27 (permalink)  
Old February 28, 2011, 05:50 AM
Arinoth's Avatar
Moderator
F@H
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 8,607

My System Specs

Default

I would not recommend ATI for going crossfire due to at least the boatload of driver issues i ran into for my 6870s, starting with the initial drivers for the cards when they came out didnt even properly support the cards to the primary card never going into idle mode if eyefinity was set up on it. I've had no issues running SLI set ups (260s, 470s) in either single monitor or surround gaming set up. ATI may have some of the better performing cards however their drivers are really hit and miss and the issues i had with perfectly working 6870s has left me on team green for a while. Whats the point of having a powerful card if you run into driver issues a lot of the time?
Reply With Quote
  #28 (permalink)  
Old February 28, 2011, 06:21 AM
CMetaphor's Avatar
Quadfather
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 5,002

My System Specs

Default

I've said it once and ill say it again: Always buy the single most powerful GPU you can afford (if it exists). Then, later on, once the drivers for said card have matured, buy a second one if you still need more power (and once the prices have come down). In this case, GTX580/HD6990 or newer is your best bet - that's what I'm going to do.
__________________
"Backed by common sense and physics!" -Squeetard
Opteron Server for Sale! http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum...ade-ideas.html
Reply With Quote
  #29 (permalink)  
Old February 28, 2011, 10:02 AM
Oversized Rooster's Avatar
Allstar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 610

My System Specs

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
I've said it once and ill say it again: Always buy the single most powerful GPU you can afford (if it exists). Then, later on, once the drivers for said card have matured, buy a second one if you still need more power (and once the prices have come down). In this case, GTX580/HD6990 or newer is your best bet - that's what I'm going to do.
Fully agree. I've gone down both roads in the past.

I've had a Radeon 9700 Pro back in the day, an X1900XTX and then some other cards. Then I was silly enough to try out Crossfire with dual Radeon 3870 cards, 4850 cards and 4890 cards.

Then I smarted up and used a single Radeon 5870. Later, I did something stupid again - I used dual Radeon 6870 cards in Crossfire. Those performed WORSE than the single 5870 did and their fans were loud.

Finally now I've been running a single GTX 580 and I haven't been this happy in a long while. It runs EVERYTHING better than the 5870 or dual 6870s plus it's quiet and free of driver and multi-GPU weird issues. :)
__________________
Main: Intel 2600K @ 4.8GHz | Gigabyte P67A-UD7-B3 | 16GB Corsair DDR3-2000 | 2 x 256GB Samsung 850 Pro | 2 x 4TB Hitachi 7K4000 | 3 x 2TB WD Caviar Black | Antec 1200 | Seasonic XP-860 Platinum | 4GB GTX 970 Windforce | 2 x 27" Asus VE278Q | Asus Essence ST | Win7 Pro 64-bit
Reply With Quote
  #30 (permalink)  
Old February 28, 2011, 02:34 PM
Delavan's Avatar
Hall Of Fame
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mtl
Posts: 1,153
Default

Quote:
In this case, GTX580/HD6990 or newer is your best bet - that's what I'm going to do.
In this case, the HD6990, being a dual-GPU on a stick, is probably as quirky to run as an external crossfire setup right?

There was a nice MSI GTX580 for $449 Deal of the day at NCIX a few weeks back...hopefully deals like that will come back.

The MSI 580 Twin Frozr II is selling for $509, but I'm a little afraid of their OCed cards, they might need a little bit of extra voltage, I think they had an issue with the BIOS revision on the cards...
__________________
i7 4770K @ 4.5GHz / Corsair H100i / Maximus VI HERO / 8GB Corsair Vengeance Red LP 1.5V 1866 / EVGA GTX780 ACX / Corsair Performance Pro 128GB SSD / Intel 520 120GB SSD / WD Black 640 GB storage

ROG G53SX laptop: i7 2630QM / 12GB DDR3 / GTX560m 2GB / 750GB 7200rpm (14 000 3Dmarks06)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Major Crossfire Problems! HD5850 Libertad Video Cards 5 January 6, 2011 01:44 PM
Crossfire Setup grifter11 Video Cards 9 November 16, 2010 01:01 PM
Crossfire Multi-monitor setup? nzorov Video Cards 4 April 16, 2010 09:33 AM
Crossfire setup with random shutdowns NightRain Troubleshooting 4 June 22, 2009 12:27 PM
[WTT] My LGA775 DDR3 setup for your AM2+/AM3 setup Realityshift Buy/Sell & Trade 2 April 12, 2009 06:17 PM