Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2011, 08:08 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Will video card kill a monitor?

I installed two 280 GTX cards in my friends Dell XPS 720 and when I powered up the PC,the monitor showed 'no signal' and the light on the monitor stays yellow. The computer seemed to load all right but no signal to the 22 inch monitor. Any ideas? The 280s replaced two 8800 GTX cards that were in it prior. I put the 8800s back in but got the same issue. Nothing on the screen. I also tried using just one card but no luck. I feel like I borked something and now I feel terrible. Please help?
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old February 20, 2011, 09:11 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

No it shouldn't there is eaither a problem with your cables or mobo, or seating of the GPU. Maybe the seat is tight and you didn't push hard enough?
Old February 20, 2011, 09:56 AM
MVP

My System Specs

wrong monitor inpu displayed?
bad cable?
double check card installation

btw
only 1 of the cards will display something before windows is loaded up

if all fails
remove one card and boot that way
if it fails again
try the other card alone
if it fails
you'Re doomed :D
joke, but something is messed up
Old February 20, 2011, 10:34 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

if you have a different pc or computer try the monitor on it. the only thing that I think can screw up a monitor is hertz being set to high or to low.
oh hang on you did plug the monitor back into the same outlet on the Video card? what might be happening is that if you originally had a single monitor setup the video cards being changed without removing the video drivers might have gotten confused ( I know not the proper wording).
so maybe try pluging the monitor cable into the other video card outlets because if it is set at single monitor then the video card will only send out a single for the single monitor.
I had a similar incident when I was running two monitors , I replaced my video cards and when I rebooted my main monitor didn't have the explorer tool bar or any of my desktop items on it. after 1/2 hour of trying to figure out what went wrong I had gotten a little desperate and started by unplugging the video cable from my video card and switched it which worked.
Old February 20, 2011, 10:38 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Call up dell to warranty it?
Old February 20, 2011, 11:05 AM
MVP

It's possible to damage an older crt display by improperly hotplugging a vga cable. I don't know if it's possible on modern displays; I don't think it's possible with a dvi-d connection.
Old February 20, 2011, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudd Rucker View Post
Call up dell to warranty it?
Out of warranty. PC is almost five years old.
Corsair Air 540 -i7 4930k @ 4.4ghz. Liquid cooled-4x4gb G Skill Trident X DDR3@ 2400mhz- Two EVGA Titans SLI - Xonar Phoebus Sound Card-Dell 3008 30" Monitor-Razer Tiamat Headphones-Butt Kicker Gamer-TrackIR 5
Old February 20, 2011, 12:37 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I did forget to uninstall the drivers. There is only one monitor connected which is a 22 inch led at 60hz. I also tried with only one card [top slot] and same thing. Will a new dvi cable for the monitor work? I will try ANYTHING so all help is very much appreciated.
Old February 20, 2011, 12:38 PM
Banned
F@H

sometimes,even if its out of warranty, may give you a chance?
Old February 20, 2011, 01:36 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slik View Post
I did forget to uninstall the drivers. There is only one monitor connected which is a 22 inch led at 60hz. I also tried with only one card [top slot] and same thing. Will a new dvi cable for the monitor work? I will try ANYTHING so all help is very much appreciated.
did you tried both cards alone?

drivers are not an issue until you make it to windows