Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   Is Nvidia really hard on the eyes ? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/40658-nvidia-really-hard-eyes.html)

botat29 February 9, 2011 05:53 PM

Is Nvidia really hard on the eyes ?

I reads many time that peoples who work with Nvidia card for a long period get more fatigue with their eyes than when work with an ATI cards, what is the truth about it, and is there adjustment We can do to reduce this fatigue, this is not a flaming war, I just change my eye glasses last month because since few months I have pain in my eyes in the evening, spent $ 900, and I still have the same problem, tomorrow I go see the ophthalmologist, so I have a real problem here. Itís 4 months I canít games because of this, my only computer usages for now is MS Office, Web browsing. I donít know buy I see you can adjust refresh and thing like this, can I improve my condition with this, and what is the optimal level to achieve it. I have a Dell 2408 , so itís not supposed to be a bad monitor. My GPU is gtx 480 at stock setting

jcmaz February 9, 2011 05:58 PM

Probably your glasses mate. Try using your older ones. Your eyes might not have adjusted to the new glasses. It took me a week to adjust to my new ones.

Also, it depends how bright your monitor is. For me, the brighter the monitor, the more and faster my eyes become tired.

botat29 February 9, 2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmaz (Post 484045)
Probably your glasses mate. Try using your older ones. Your eyes might not have adjusted to the new glasses. It took me a week to adjust to my new ones.

Also, it depends how bright your monitor is. For me, the brighter the monitor, the more and faster my eyes become tired.

I have my new glass since a month now, and it was worst with the old one. I always make sure to have a good room light when I work on my PC. I must say that I'm afraid to go see the ophthalmologist, afraid he found something serious. I'm not so young Ö.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

jcmaz February 9, 2011 06:09 PM

You mean your eyes got worse right?

I'm not even talking about room lighting tho. To me, it is the monitor brightness that counts. Try lowering your monitor's brightness and see what happens?

I used to game in semi dark with my LG monitor at ~30 brightness. That is equal to not being about to differentiate between really dark colors to black.

AkG February 9, 2011 06:18 PM

Bingo we have a winner.
It sounds like you have the monitor set WAY to bright. Modern pannels brag about 200 and 300 (and more) light output. The gold std is 120. Anything more than that is TOO damn bright.

Another thing you need is to check the colours you are using. White background w/ black text is proably the WORST combo you could use. I STILL use O2k3 for the blue w/ white setup (even though I prefer excel 2k10). Change the coulour setup will help with eye fatigue.
Also increase the font size! Im getting older and I use a BIG arsed font now as it is just plain easier on the eyes.

Do all 3 steps and you will notice a big improvement. IF you dont. Take a break every 30 minutes and stop looking at the screen for 1min. Close your eyes and let them "rest". ;)

YMMV but thats what I do.

botat29 February 9, 2011 06:27 PM

So I try to set for large font in my web browser, but on this page my post are now bigger but not the reply of other members ??, I lower the brithness.

JD February 9, 2011 07:11 PM

I think the main issue with monitors is you cannot directly adjust the backlight. TV can do it, laptops can do it, why can't a monitor do it? Never made any sense to me.

But yes, it's most likely the monitor brightness and not the video card. I know my monitor becomes quite "bright" feeling as I push into the wee hours of the night ;)

You may want to try out F.lux too: F.lux: software to make your life better I tried it for one night and it helped make things easier to read during the evening hours when your room is probably darker. However you absolutely kill image quality from it as it adjusts the colour temperature rather drastically. As such, I haven't quite decided if I want to continue using it or not.

botat29 February 9, 2011 07:37 PM

not Bad F.Lux, not bad at all.