Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > Video Cards

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2011, 09:25 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Now that EVGA has gone back to offering top end warranty coverage, I'd suggest their a manuf. worth looking into. I wouldn't have suggested them a month ago when they still had 1 and 2 year warranty cards. Just make sure you buy the new batches and you'll get that nice warranty without paying a premium.
Old February 9, 2011, 09:33 PM
Rookie

One time i was told the video card has 2-3 years life time
so the lifetime
Lifetime Warranty is only cover on that period..
so..yeah i dont really trust the warranty thing

Old February 9, 2011, 09:53 PM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

Who ever told you that certainly wasnt an EVGA rep.

Not that long ago I RMA'ed a dying eVGA 7900GTX (lifetime warranty). The card I got back ALSO now has lifetime so when IT dies it too will get RMA'ed. Even if the replacement for the replacement doesnt get lifetime (who knows never had to do a double RMA across so many gens and years..yet) it will have made couple bucks extra upfront worth it. :)

“if your opponent has a conscience, then follow Gandhi. But if you enemy has no conscience, like Hitler, then follow Bonhoeffer.” - Dr. MLK jr
Old February 9, 2011, 09:54 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Now that EVGA has gone back to offering top end warranty coverage, I'd suggest their a manuf. worth looking into. I wouldn't have suggested them a month ago when they still had 1 and 2 year warranty cards. Just make sure you buy the new batches and you'll get that nice warranty without paying a premium.
^^^ What are you talking about???!!! Evga has had "AR" Lifetime warranty products for years! All of my Mobo's / GPU's have been Lifetime for at least the last 6 yrs. Get your facts straight dude...just check the Suffix at the end of the Parts number...if its AR yuor Golden...TR 2-3 yrs...as I said AR have bee around a long time....my 260's / 280's were both AR as was my 8800GTX.....hell even my Evga 780i Mobo (4 yrs I think) is AR.....have no idea what you mean by "buy the new batches"

When Evga introduces a new line of Cards the initial Cards are always AR..

Last edited by rjbarker; February 9, 2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old February 15, 2011, 12:57 PM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keywork View Post
Hey guys!
With the recent arrival of several solid video cards (especially Nvidia), I've been looking at upgrading and giving my 8800 GTS 512 the ol' boot. Besides trying to decide between a 560 Ti and 570, the warranty length has essentially been my primary concern. I know most people upgrade every couple years, if not sooner, so the lifetime warranty is pretty moot for some, but for someone like me who has kept their video card for 4+ years now, the ability to have a lifetime warranty is very enticing.

Is the Lifetime warranty enough to sway you from one brand to another?
Good thread. I too have a 8800GT 512, but made by BFG, and yes I've had to claim warranty once in it's lifetime. Last summer, it took a month to get it returned, just before they announced their demise. Now I believe it's better that it was new (upgraded heatsink).

But it's an old card, and I do want to be able to run Crysis2 and other games at some decent candy @1920x1080, so I'm thinking of upgrading too. That then raises 2 (or more) questions:

Can I get away with just a video upgrade (keeping my old AMD 9650 quad core and 750w power supply)?
What can I do with the 8800 if I'm not happy with it and new games? Would anyone here want it? I'd rather make someone else happy instead of a local e-cycler.
Is ATI worth looking into or does it matter anymore? (I love nvidias driver support and heard ATI horror stories).
Could someone here who is up to speed on recent cards name one or two models off the cuff that you think would impress me?

As far as warranty goes, since I've used BFG warranty once, I'd love to have lifetime again, but like others have said, the actual useable lifespan of a vid card may not be as long as you want: example; my 8800, sure it was a great card in it's day, but if it died tomorrow I probably wouldn't bother trying to get warranty even if BFG was still in business. So no, a lifetime warranty is not a selling point for me, nice to have but i'd say 5yrs is fine for me.
Old February 15, 2011, 02:58 PM
Top Prospect

You can definitely upgrade your GPU to a budget solution like the Nvidia 560 Ti, while keeping your CPU/PSU. Your 750W PSU will be more than sufficient to power any single GPU card on the market so no worries there! I'm not sure how much of a bottleneck you'll run into with your CPU (is it OC'ed?), but how is it right now with Crysis1 at 1080p? If you want to try an ATI solution, I would look at the 6950 1GB version, seeing as you plan on playing on a single monitor. :)

Here's a comparison between the 2 cards. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1 GB Review - Page 10/31 | techPowerUp

The 560 Ti is a beastly overclocker as well...just good bang for buck!

Last edited by Stock; February 15, 2011 at 03:05 PM.
Old February 15, 2011, 03:27 PM
Banned
F@H

your cpu will hold you back in intensive scenarios and such.
the 560 is a decent bang per buck, unless you want to run mentioned

'some decent candy @1920x1080' then perhaps hunt down a 6950 2gb.

anyway,back on topic, most people wont probably need/make use of the warranty

after a few years...and then again, say you buy a 500 dollar card now, 5 years from now

theyll replace it with what? a 150 dollar card? meh
Old February 16, 2011, 03:01 AM
Allstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
your cpu will hold you back in intensive scenarios and such.
the 560 is a decent bang per buck, unless you want to run mentioned

'some decent candy @1920x1080' then perhaps hunt down a 6950 2gb.

anyway,back on topic, most people wont probably need/make use of the warranty

after a few years...and then again, say you buy a 500 dollar card now, 5 years from now

theyll replace it with what? a 150 dollar card? meh
So true! thanks for the replies. No I won't be o/c anything, and I'll double check my psu amps tonight. Hope it helps the OP as well! (sry to hijack)

Last edited by On2wheels; February 16, 2011 at 03:46 AM.