Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   Video Cards (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/)
-   -   GTX 580s PhysX Auto Select? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/video-cards/40640-gtx-580s-physx-auto-select.html)

Slik February 9, 2011 10:35 AM

GTX 580s PhysX Auto Select?

When I set the PhysX option to Auto Select in the Nvidia control panel,the setting won't stay in Auto. It changes to show PhysX Ge Force GTX 580 [1] With the 480s I had installed,the setting always showed Auto. Is this normal for 580s? Is it a driver issue? I'm using the 266.58s. Also, my temps are 50c for the top card and 55c on the second card at idle and get up to 90c when gaming. I thought the 580s ran a lot cooler than the 480s. Could that also be a driver issue? Please don't tell me I fried something again.lol. Thanks for any help.

Soultribunal February 9, 2011 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slik (Post 483768)
When I set the PhysX option to Auto Select in the Nvidia control panel,the setting won't stay in Auto. It changes to show PhysX Ge Force GTX 580 [1] With the 480s I had installed,the setting always showed Auto. Is this normal for 580s? Is it a driver issue? I'm using the 266.58s. Also, my temps are 50c for the top card and 55c on the second card at idle and get up to 90c when gaming. I thought the 580s ran a lot cooler than the 480s. Could that also be a driver issue? Please don't tell me I fried something again.lol. Thanks for any help.

Although I am not sure about if the 580s do that as well I can't see why it would be any different on what I run, using the same driver revision it defaults my 460's as one for physX even when auto.
You do have it set to Maximize 3d in the Control panel under SLI correct?

as for the temps, they do run cooler. But it all depends on Airflow patterns of your case. Switching from my Lexa S to a HAF932 I dropped 5 degrees across the boards on my cards. So even though the card does run cooler, it can only do so if the case provides it with enough airflow.

I don't think you have broken anything, what you might have to do is set a fan profile using the newest EVGA Precision. Might be a better way to control the thermals.

ST

Inate8 February 9, 2011 11:11 AM

90 seems high for these cards, what resolution and settings and in which game are you running?

Also, as the above poster mentioned, how is the rest of your system cooling?

My single 580 doesn't reach higher than 72c while playing Metro2033 maxed settings 1920*1200 with 4x QSAA. I'm using a thermaltake armor with 3 120mm intake fans with a room temp of around 20-23c

vohiep84 February 9, 2011 11:58 AM

Hey you finally got your 580s working :P congrats,

My auto selection does the same thing, shouldn't have to worry.. i've played around with selecting the first gpu and the other.. makes no difference.

Hmm, reaching 90 degrees that does seem a bit high. But as others have stated there are variables that we don't know such as your ambient tempatures and airflow in your case.

_dangtx_ February 9, 2011 01:00 PM

normal on both fronts, no worries maite. while it is a tweaked version, its still two ferminators in one case :)

set fans with precision or something to 70%

Inate8 February 9, 2011 01:45 PM

That temp isn't normal.
I had dual 480's that never became that hot under load.
But like you said maybe his fan is set to auto or some non-sense. Get afterburner or precision installed and hard lock the fan to 65%+. Basically where-ever you can tolerate it.

Soultribunal February 9, 2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inate8 (Post 483897)
That temp isn't normal.
I had dual 480's that never became that hot under load.
But like you said maybe his fan is set to auto or some non-sense. Get afterburner or precision installed and hard lock the fan to 65%+. Basically where-ever you can tolerate it.

As stated before, the temp is probably due to a few factors. Namely I believe its related to his case itself.
For 480's 90's are actually common place depending on the setup for the cards.
All depends really on what you have them stuffed into :thumb:

Still a better fan profile, and such like I suggested with precision will work in the interm. Hopefully.

ST

Slik February 9, 2011 02:55 PM

I have the cards installed in the two top PCI slots. I read a post somewhere in this forum that if you put the second card in the bottom PCI slot,you will lose performance as the bottom slot is a different speed. It was something like that. Speed x8 rather than x16? I also found out on this forum that an older and longer SLI bridge would work with the 580s if I were to separate them. Should I do it? Will putting one card in the top and one in the bottom hurt IQ or performance? For sure they will run a lot cooler that way. Experienced opinions please? I'm really not sure what the hell to do. Thank you all very much for help.

vohiep84 February 9, 2011 03:13 PM

You should put them in slot 1 and 3, there is a very minor performance decrease in having it in a 16x/8x SLI vs a 16x/16x SLI, you just lose a few frames. There will also be no decrease in IQ. Plus the GTX 580 in SLI are beasts and will handle any games even with a minor performance decrease.

Here's a link if you want to read up on it.

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 SLI - SLI & CFX PCIe Bandwidth Perf. - x16/x16 vs. x16/x8 | [H]ard|OCP

To reduce temps have you considered replacing the Thermal paste with an aftermarket paste? Such as IC dimaond or some MX variant?

YouTube - GTX 580: Updated Methodology For Removing the Cooler & Replacing Thermal Compound Linus Tech Tips

Stock February 9, 2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slik (Post 483927)
I have the cards installed in the two top PCI slots. I read a post somewhere in this forum that if you put the second card in the bottom PCI slot,you will lose performance as the bottom slot is a different speed. It was something like that. Speed x8 rather than x16? I also found out on this forum that an older and longer SLI bridge would work with the 580s if I were to separate them. Should I do it? Will putting one card in the top and one in the bottom hurt IQ or performance? For sure they will run a lot cooler that way. Experienced opinions please? I'm really not sure what the hell to do. Thank you all very much for help.

This is an old review using a 5870, but essentially applies to any recent graphics cards.
AMD Radeon HD 5870 PCI-Express Scaling Review - Page 25/26 | techPowerUp

The performance hit running on an PCI-E x8 slot is almost negligible.